[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best uv's for 3d painting? I have been
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: uv_layout_test_1.png (168 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
uv_layout_test_1.png
168 KB, 1024x1024
What's the best uv's for 3d painting?

I have been trying to 3d paint a post box but it is a bit of a struggle cause mudbox just crashes with-in 5 - 10 minutes of using it but, I was wondering how the uv's should be.

For example I wouldn't assume it would matter on their layout cause i'll just be painting onto the uv's. So if I out my model into blender and do a smart uv projection it just lays out the uv map everywhere. I know this is isn't amazing for texturing but does it matter for 3d painting?

Pic related, this is the uv i am using at the moment because I chose to texture in the node editor using blend nodes and such so it is relatively neat. but could the uv's just be anywhere as long as they are visible for 3d painting?
>>
>>525641
To be honest you can just shit on how they are cutout when they are at least scaled right
>>
>>525641

It depends. Strictly speaking only 2 things are important:

- avoid stretching and pinching as much as possible, to avoid a warped texture
- make sure that all UVs are scaled correct, to avoid texel size differences.

but...

- if you use small textures, it can be helpful to line up faces nice and straight so you won't see individual pixels too clearly.
- to make baking normals, ao ,etc. easier, you might want to have bigger/fewer UV islands, to reduce the risks of seams.
- also, having bigger/fewer islands decreases the risk of edge bleeding.

so, when I look at your example, I'm wondering why you have a bunch of loose faces that would be much better connected to other faces.
>>
>>525649 ok right, that's what I thought

>>525666 yep cheers that makes perfect sense, thanks
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.