[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Merging OBJs together, for real
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: MergeMeshesTogether.png (19 KB, 723x552) Image search: [Google]
MergeMeshesTogether.png
19 KB, 723x552
I'm so mad right now, I've scrolled over 9000 Google results, but can't find an answer to what seems a really simple job.

I want to merge a huge amount of tiny OBJs into one single huge OBJ and keep all the textures, I don't want to group them so they give the illusion they've been merged together but actually are not, there needs to be ONE single mesh, an actual fusion. Pic related.

Each piece have a tiny overlap (done on purpose) to ensure that they touch each other leaving no open gaps between them, the problem with most reconstruction algorithms I've tried (ie. Poisson), is that it tries to fill everything, even holes that are supposed to be left intact, not only the parts that touch/overlap, not to mention I couldn't find a way to keep the textures.

What do you suggest me to do? Doing it manually is not a an option, there're just too many teeny tiny pieces.
Bonus points if it can be done with a free software, thanks all.
>>
this is not possible

you either have a mesh that overlaps or edited mesh, there is no in between.
>>
maybe it can work if you used dynatopo on really high resolution but its a slim chance
>>
>>525523
boolean with union can work too
>>
>>525520

Cant be done. Fusing them would fuck the uvs in the process.
>>
You could feasibly preserve UV coordinates, but keeping the holes in your mesh is impossible. CSG algorithms have to infer what part of your mesh is inside and outside based on the assumption that the mesh is closed geometry.
>>
Duplicate the meshes, ignoring UVs,
bool them so you have one non-intersecting mesh.
auto UV this new mesh.
Merge the original meshes (not boolean).
Bake the original textures to the original mesh.
project / transfer the original meshes baked texture to the boolean mesh.
>>
>>525520
Why do they need to be joined together? Are they organic? Or are they little boxes? What's the reason for doing it?
>>
File: 1420427640947.jpg (13 KB, 196x178) Image search: [Google]
1420427640947.jpg
13 KB, 196x178
>>525520
.....just give every mesh a specific ID and attach them all together..... basic as fuck
>>
Anyone suggesting a boolean operation clearly has not used blooeans. That shit breaks down and produces garbage results with any geo half-way complex.

If I had to do this task I would import all of the models into 3d-coat as voxel objects and then merge them together because this will produce clean results unlike boolean. After that I would then reto (or use the auto-reto option based on what I need) the voxel mesh and then create the UVW map.

I would then use the old separate meshes as the high poly reference and bake do a diffuse map bake with the new model as the low poly target.
>>
>>525602
if this dude is asking why can't you automatically merge meshes im not sure he can accomplish all of that you are saying

and thats given i don't know what the fuck he is trying to do
>>
>>525520
I don't think anyone really understands what you are trying to do. If you don't find anything within 9000 search results it means that you're wrong. Nobody in the world unwraps and then edits topology, that's not how you do things. You have to finish your model before unwrap. Just do it again
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.