[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm new to 3d and I've been making an insect model.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: Untitled.png (142 KB, 779x367) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
142 KB, 779x367
I'm new to 3d and I've been making an insect model. I've sculpted in some details on the eyes in ZBrush and created a high poly mesh and then baked a normal map onto a low poly mesh in xNormal.
The problem I'm having is that the normal map does not reflect properly: on mesh A, with a standard material applied, the light reflects dead centre of the eye, but when the normal map is applied, it reflects at the top right of the eye rather than the centre. Does anyone know what might be causing this?
>>
i think light bounce off normals so its simply not an issue.
make a specular map to control that
>>
Notice the shadow on B and lack of on A. The light is pointed in different directions.
>>
>>524136
I said in the OP that the light was placed in the same location, yet the shadows and reflections are located in different areas.
>>
>>524149
Post your normal map, it looks like its base values are off. Pick a color in an area that's supposed to be flat, if it's not near 127/127/255 (0.5,0.5,1) it's off.
>>
File: Handle_Holder_nrml_normals.png (759 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
Handle_Holder_nrml_normals.png
759 KB, 1024x1024
>>524150
Here it is senpai
>>
>>524152
Doesn't look like it's off. Did you change the normals of you object's vertices?
>>
>>524154
No. I made the mesh in Maya, and then subdivided it twice. Then I took the model into ZBrush and sculpted in at SD level 6. Exported that as an .obj, then used xnormal to bake the normal map onto the original mesh.
>>
>>524156
Then I have no idea what's causing this, sorry.
>>
>>524157
No worries, thanks for replying
>>
>>524132

Did you create a specular map to tell it where to place the highlight. Try the model In marmoset, I find the 3d programs bad for previewing normal maps.
>>
>>524160
No specular map, but I tried it out in UE4 and it works fine. Fucking Maya viewport.

This thread is now closed.
>>
>>524162
Was literally talking shit about Maya 30 seconds ago for this exact reason

Use Modo scrub
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.