[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Question
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
What are animation rigs like this called?
>>
>>523153
Don't think they have a agreed upon name. Seen them called various things by various people. Around my circles we call them 'cut rigs' because you typically make em by cutting up a continuous skin.

But try google stuff like geometry bones, mesh bones, mesh rigs etc. Things like that and you'll find examples of them.
>>
>>523153
Proxies ? Animation Proxy
>>
Incomplete.
>>
>>523160
it's not quite the same thing. Proxies have less faces, while that here is cutting up the fully detailed mesh to get a feel of how it deforms without painting weights
>>
Why would you want to mane an animation proxy?
>>
>>523176
Depending on your type of rig the full thing might be too heavy to perform well inside your viewport. So you use a proxy while animating so you have a silky framerate and can see what you are doing at all times.
>>
>>523192
the only reason you would need a proxy rig is if your software is ancient and doesnt support gpu skinning / further optimizations. Move to Modo.
>>
>>523194
> move over to the famous animation tool that is modo

-____________-
>>
>>523197
>triggered
>>
>>523194
sigh, how can you assume this applies to all rigs... they have different needs and some can be really heavy. for instance I had a teacher who animated on transformers, and those rigs had several proxy rigs of varying levels of detail. I'm sure even in modo (who even animates in modo?) there are certain rigs that could use a proxy. plus the rig might be in a heavy scene.
>>
>>523176
There are two main reasons: as other said, it might be because the full model is too intensive for real-time display. The second reason is simply that the model is not finished. This is common when working in a team: a proxy will be made and rigged to that animators can work in parallel with modelers, or so that you can get an impression of how well a rig works without having to paint weight (the primary purpose of ribbon meshes)
>>
>>523153

That's not a bad idea for creating a quick figure rig. Rig a generic figure cut into selection groups and fill by selection group, then when you have a custom figure you want to rig, instead of rigging it all by scratch just position the selection groups of your generic figure in place, memorize the new rig and then transfer the rigging to your custom figure.

After that it's just a matter of tweaking the weight maps. I'm going to have to experiment with this. It should make it easier for me to rig my figures in Daz Studio since Daz doesn't provide you with a humanoid skeleton to rig from.
>>
File: Slice and Dice 1.jpg (59 KB, 1000x1250) Image search: [Google]
Slice and Dice 1.jpg
59 KB, 1000x1250
>>523258

The MakeHuman figure should make for a good enough generic figure rig.
>>
File: abomination.jpg (59 KB, 1000x1250) Image search: [Google]
abomination.jpg
59 KB, 1000x1250
>>523259

Heh. My first attempt creating a universal rigging system. was a mixed success. It transferred the rearranged rigging from one mesh to another fine, the weight maps are sloppy and will need touch ups. The face rig end up creating an abomination if you don't touch it up.

Over all it's less tedious than rebuilding a skeleton from scratch every time I want to build a new figure though.Since I'd have to paint the weights on a new figure it's not really that big a deal to retouch them where they get a little sloppy.

Love what it did to the face though,
>>
Weight painting is hell...
>>
>>523375
if it is you are not doing it right. Weighting a mesh is a very straightforward process.
Start at the root and radiate outwards skinning everything above 100% to the joint you are currently working on. Also make sure to have animation keys setup so it covers the full range of the joint so you can scroll the timeline and see where you are at.
>>
>>523375
It's not hell. But can be really frustrating if you lack the experience. Rigging in general is hard and requires lots of trial and error.
>>
I don't know that I'd call rigging "hard" per say. It is however extremely tedious. And the more realistically you want the figure to bend the more tedious it becomes. If it's a low poly background character, or something that's not going to have much in the way of extremes in movement then rigging isn't going to be all that bad. But if you're rigging a figure that's going to be a main focus and you want it to look very realistic then not only do you have to make sure the topology will bend well and that the weight maps are painted to bend well, you've also got to create joint controlled morphs for every possible bend in the figure and that takes a hell of a lot of time.

It's not hard to do, but it's a whole shit load of work and it's not glamorous work either like modelling, texture painting or even animating.

I have a special appreciation for the people who actually like rigging because it is definitely one of my least favorite tasks.
>>
>>523489
If you don't understand rigging you're just making a dead object full of flaws and pass it off to someone
who gotta keep throwing corrective morphs at it in a desperate attempt to save your poorly executed work.

The correct physiology of a character is a product of the foundational mechanical system that is it's skeletal frame.
When you design something and attempt to retrofit this as an afterthought you'll run into the type of trouble you describe.
And solwing that is very unglamorous, because it can't be done right and a lot of artists go trough life doing it poorly.

But rigging's glamorous to men who do it well. When you're rigging, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
>>
File: cutrigging.jpg (357 KB, 1920x777) Image search: [Google]
cutrigging.jpg
357 KB, 1920x777
>>523153
Currently in the progress of doing this step for one of my own character bases. I use this to work out the rotocenters and interconnected tension curves between body parts.

The start skin may look perfect, but it's never closer than in the ballpark of being correct, everything always needs lot's of tweaking until the correct shape is found.
>>
>>523153
puppets or proxies
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.