[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Add primitive objects in Blender like in 3ds max
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
File: Mesh-primitives.jpg (69 KB, 1068x645) Image search: [Google]
Mesh-primitives.jpg
69 KB, 1068x645
In Blender, you click on the button (exemple: cube) and the primitive appears wherever the 3D cursor is with predefined dimensions (2x2x2 meters).

In 3ds max, you select the type of primitive you want (exemple: box) and you click wherever in the scene by draging the mouse, thus defining width and length of the box, then you release LMB and you define height.

Is this possible in Blender?
>>
Blender is open source, so this means literally EVERYTHING is possible in Blender.
Either invest some days in figuring out how to script this (Python) or pay some dude a week's worth of happymeals to script it for you.
>>
I know that everything can be coded... The question was more like is there already such a feature?
>>
>>522935
Not that I know of at least. But didn't look much into customization yet
>>
Press F6 after adding the object to bring up the options panel. You can change the parameters of the new object (ie: with a cylinder how many vertices it should have, radius, height etc).

I don't think there is a click and drag max way of making a cuboid. And as Blender has no cuboid primitive (just regular cube) the F6 options for a cube is just the overall size.
>>
>>522932
> literally EVERYTHING is possible in Blender.

Next time someone asks why Blendpots are so frowned upon, do remember this guys answer to Op's question.
>>
>>522945

I know.

"Why is the way Blender performs X so convoluted"

"Why don't you root through 2 millions lines of poorly documented spaghetti and rewrite the code that does it. Everything is possible in Blender".

Thanks asshole.
>>
>>522945
>>522960
>Blendpots are so frowned upon

Only by losers who don't get shit done.

Max, Maya, Cinema4d etc. users who actually are productive do not fucking care about Blender users.
>>
>>523059
Blenderps are the absolute peasents of the 3d world. %99 of the industry standard production is made with autodesk products and you blendicks only beg people to think you're somehow relevant xD
>>
>>522925
>Is this possible in Blender?

You could definitely write a script to do it, there's probably an add-on out there, but at the end of the day scaling (then Apply Scale) is going to achieve the same result (which is why I imagine it'd be easy to script since it's two commands).

Obviously "lmao rewrite the source code yourself!!!!!!" is insane, but there is actually a popular branch or whatever called Dark Blender (shit name) with some rewritten source code / add-ons / tweaks / etc for sculpting and game asset design.
The dev loves to implement weird little things, so I'm sure if you posted in his thread on blenderartists dot org that he'd be happy to do this for you.
>>
>>523059
Most Blendpots are losers who don't get shit done.

>b-b-but Autodesk ate my .blend file
>>
>>523062
>xD
>>523159
>meme stuttering
>>
Blender is for a different breed of modeller. We can do anything a buyfag can do and sometimes even better. So quit hatin
>>
>>523182
> blendfag got mad
How does it feel to be the peasent of the industry ? :^) Does it make you feel sad that no respectable industry uses shitty noisy terrible blender ?
>>
>>523470
that's because beginners that use blender don't know how to get rid of noise
>>
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?384366-AddOn-NP-Float-Box
>>
>>523468
I modeled for years with C4d and Maya, before Modo existed and Blender got usable.
Blender is not a bad modeler, Maya was and Cinema still is.
But a good modeller alone does not make a good DCC package. Just take a look at Modo.

>We can do anything a buyfag can do and sometimes even better.
A good artist will outperform a bad artist no matter the tools.
If you set 2 equally talented/good artists against each other, the buyfaq will outperform the blendfaq, maybe not much in quality but in time and efficiency.
Except in a couple of scenarios where Blender simply fails.
>>
>>524037
when was the last time you used blender? it updates lightning fast and its possible its not the same software
>>
anything related to measurements is why Blender sucks. Don't bother and keep using 3dsmax
>>
>>524037
the problem with blender is that advanced lessons lessons almost don't exist.

now they do exist but you have to find them and sometimes pay cash.
and the fancy tutorials on youtube are just "how-to's" with big focus on rendering and composition.
most of those tutorials tell you to download textures from the internet which is a bad practice, people need to know how to design and make their own textures instead of cutting corners.
also the generators that generate trees and screws are simply bad practice, people should make things from scratch
>>
>>522925
>thus defining width and length of the box
holy fuck are you this triggered that you have to place it first and then resize it
>>
>>522925
max only has that because you have to add an edit poly modifier before editing it. in blender you just press tab, so it's a lot quicker and a feature like that becomes pretty redundant. i wouldn't be surprised, however, if there was an addon for that.
other than that, once you place the primitive, editable parameters appear on the left in the tool shelf, which is similar but less precise. you probably at least knew that though.

>>525675
this is true. too many 3d tutorials are just step by step how-to things, instead of teaching the actual fundamentals of modeling which could be applied to modeling anything
>>
>>525716
There are such tutorials for blender, they are very very good.
Look at:
Mastering modelling in blender by cgcookie
Actually cgcookie have a lot of good "core" tutorials and this one is by far the greatest, but they are all paid I think, anyway, doesn't matter, cause if you're a cheapass you can go to cgpeers and dl them for free.
And not only cgcookie, there are a lot of core tutorials for blender, but most are paid(which I don't mind at all, knowledge is money).

>too many 3d tutorials are just step by step how-to things
Those are good to bring you into blender, but not for serious learning. When I started working with blender it seemed even more of a fuckup then what autodesk puts out with their disgusting UIs, after a few of those fool-proof tutorials tutor4u. It's what got me in, and to be honest coming from working with Autocad and Solidworks as well as some experience in valve's hammer, I loved the UI, after a while I started working without clicking anything I didn't have to, only shortcuts.
>>
>>525709
>holy fuck are you this triggered that you have to place it first and then resize it
Yes, it's a workflow thing. When you model architecture, you do so with many boxes, so I want to be able to control their proportions directly at the moment of creation and be able snap their vertices to the existing geometry.

>>525716
>editable parameters appear on the left in the tool shelf
... and sadly disappear as soon as you use another tool. In 3dsmax, you still have those until you convert your primitive to Editable Poly
>>
>>522932
>Blender is open source, so this means literally EVERYTHING is possible in Blender.
Faggots like you are the reason why Blender isn't as popular as it could be.
>>
>>522925
Right after you added the primitive, the operator options (press T to bring up the menu if your viewport doesn't have one on the left side) allow you to change location, rotation and scale per axis.
>>
>>522925
I considered writing a script/addon that has this functionality, but I have not started yet.
Why am I even writing this, nothing to show.
Anyway, good to know that there are others who would appreciate it.
>>
>>522925
Not that I'm aware of. I may be able to write a plugin for this some time in the future, however writing a plugin is a massive headache. I love open source programs and I love blender, but whoever is in charge of any documentation for it whatsoever is a fucking joke. I wrote and exporter a month ago for a format a game used and ran into various problems with them completely having changed the API with nothing documented. Upon asking on irc and forums they were of no use and I had to waste a shit ton of time just finding out how to do basic stuff that should have been documented.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.