[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Give me feedback on this weird rifle I'm making
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7
>>
>>522710
1. Everyone starts off learning 3D by making firearms because they are relatively easy forms made largely from primitives, and they also make you look masculine to your friends who would think you were boring, or just a fag, for making a piece of furniture or a lamp. On the opposite end of the spectrum are people who sculpt "aliens" because the lack of standardization excuses then from making their "masterpiece" from resembling anything, making them immune to criticism.

2. Your gun doesn't loom that good to me. The grip looks bad and there's no trigger. I suppose you've demonstrated that you are able to model, but you should start by making existing objects before making 'fantasy' items to get really good. You know why so many Chinese youths are found to be cheating? Ancient Eastern philosophy holds that to become good at anything, you must spend time emulating the masters. This is why a lot of Asian countries' education is focused more on rote memorization. If I were you, i'd scrap your gun and make an AK or PPSH. Another practical benefit of drawing something already existing is that sometimes, it forces you out of youe comfort zone to use different techniques in order to generate certain unique solids. Doing your own designs right off the bat makes you vulnerable to subconscious bias; you will avoid doing objects you think are outside the software's limitations.

Those are my takes on the matter.
>>
The guy before me had some points. Really it's not easy to come up with some fantasy design of any kind of object without knowing very much about the subject and engineering of said object.

First it looks too big and unwieldy in order to be practical (you could say it's for some centry bot or robot, but then it would look completely different, no grip and it wouldn't look like a assault rifle)

This is mainly because the sights, rails and grip are tiny compared to the rest of the gun (make the bigger in proportion and it would look much more realistic)

Second the forms don't seem to follow any function, they are just there to look cool. (Most firearms are built with function in mind and aesthetics later) like you have a bunch of stuff in the back stock which kind of look like a famas and put mashup but nothing to really warrant such a design (no bullpup design or anything)

If you look at good futuristic design you will see that it kind of looks functional and makes sense. Most of the time it's based on some existing thing with couple of variations. Certain designs have just proven to be the best and they wouldn't just make it more complicated and unwieldy just because in the future unless there is some technical reason and even then most of the times those things don't catch on because they are bad (caseless ammo, ridiculous magazine designs , un ergonomic extensions)
>>
>>522725

>famas and put mashup

I meant famas and p90 mashup
>>
>>522710

1) That's not a rifle, that's a sub machine gun. The barrel is too short to be a rifle.

2) How the fuck do you fire it and what's with that retarded looking banana shaped pistol grip.

3) What caliber is it firing? If it's a 9mm smg then the magazine needs to be more boxy and less rectangular. Pretty much no matter what caliber it's supposed to be your magazine is too thin.

4) Were you trying to go for a bullpup rifle? If that's the case then the magazine and firing mechanism needs to be behind the trigger. That's why bullpups look like they have short barrels, because the action is all in the stock. You've got the action after the stock which makes it an smg.
>>
Anon, go to a gun store, any close by. Just get a feel for the weapons there. It shouldn't cost you anything unless you wish to rent a weapon for the range (if it has one). All you're doing is going in for a feel.

I'm telling you this because that grip is the most insulting design to anyone's wrist flexibility, and you should feel the pain.
>>
File: 1438882270765.jpg (200 KB, 1014x1044) Image search: [Google]
1438882270765.jpg
200 KB, 1014x1044
>>522770
>>
>>522710

Pretty good execution. Nice mix of hard and soft edges and details. Ultimately it's the texture that will sell it. Follow the gun nuts advice which shouldn't take you long.
>>
>>522731
Actually its not done yet because I am still modeling the handle, trigger, resizing the sights, adding a flashlight, adding the charging arm, adding the fire selector, and changing other things as I go along. You are actually the first to really guess its a sub machine gun. It actually has no caliber as of this moment and its not a bullpup
>>
>>522770
There is no grip currently that's a piece of the extendable butt stock. Its mainly just to test my modeling skills with hard and soft edges.
>>
I thank all of you for the criticism, I'll be getting back to work for it to seem more desirable
>>
File: sterlingmag.jpg (57 KB, 615x461) Image search: [Google]
sterlingmag.jpg
57 KB, 615x461
This is the magazine of a 9mm Sterling SMG. Notice how its depth is almost half the width. 9mm parabellum is your most common sub machine gun round.
>>
File: Capture.png (182 KB, 1294x822) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
182 KB, 1294x822
As someone actively working on rifle design, I have to say OP kinda fucked up a lot, and previous posters were pretty accurate.

OP can you post a quick sketch of what it should look like when it's done? It'll probably be easier to edit a little doodle than to rework a whole model.
>>
>>522799
Start over. Look at real guns. Branch off from there.
>>
File: 1385524113227.jpg (9 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1385524113227.jpg
9 KB, 320x240
>>523891
>that pic
A-Are you modeling every single piece of that M4?
>>
>>524544
Well, he did say he was working with rifle design... If that means real-world rifle design, then he would have to model every single piece. At least every piece that would need to be made specifically for the rifle.... I think he can leave out the rivets and such.
>>
>>522710

Everyone in this thread is making good points, I just want to add that once you understand the essentials, you can break the rules.

If you're making a gun that's going to be used by a robot, or maybe by an impoverished guerilla fighter, or is completely alien to conventional firearms (like say, it's designed to fire in space, fires shaped charges, is a railgun, etc etc) then you can make changes accordingly.

TL;DR Right now your gun lacks planning and context.
>>
Look up some concept/real guns and see what they all have in common. Go to a range or buy an airsoft gun ot something. Your modeling really isn't bad, but the gun is shit.
>>
>>524544
>>524552
I'm altering stock AR-15 upper and lower receivers and designing some new parts that need to fit on the altered upper/lower. Most of the models are already on grabcad, but altering them, making sure the alterations can function in real life, and making new parts that fit everything and function is not exactly simple.

Plus, I have to ensure that the alterations and the new parts are easy to machine, don't require super special tooling, etc.
>>
>>524590

AR-15... the Dane Cook of rifles.
>>
>>524642
There's a ton of reasons why the AR is popular and why improving on it makes marketable sense.

>to be honest I'm not sure waht "dane cook" implies in the context of your post
>>
Also OP, real guns don't have greebles. Everything has a purpose, or it wouldn't be there. On your gun, even the greebles have greebles, it's not really worth going into specifics.

The gun is shit, but the skill is not entirely shit.
>>
File: ScifirifleLED.png (444 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ScifirifleLED.png
444 KB, 1920x1080
This is what the rifle looks like now. I've been busy with other projects for my University.

>>524575 its not actually supposed to be a traditional firearm, more energy wise since it has a weird magazine and other shit
>>
>>523891
is that cad/nurbs or subdivs? if you wouldn't mind posting a brief walkthrough to how you're making that if you're doing it in a modeling app, i'd love to read it
>>
>>524780
Using Mastercam, I'm a little out of my element but that's what happens when you're trying to start your own business; it's not like I can afford to hire someone or send myself to do training in CAD. The purple lines are to help guide where some parts have important features, I can then make the right solids from them, or flatten the stock models to 2D plans to give me the details I need. I'm probably doing it bass ackwards...

>>524742
If it's a laser rifle, why are you stuck on such a generic firearm shape? Why does it need a barrel with a standard looking flash hider? Why does it have something that looks like a magazine when it could have a cable to a backpack? Why does the flashlight have a pressure switch wire when it should be a hot-rail light with an integral button? Why should it have regular iron sights when it could have optics (especially when most energy weapons would be bad for the shooter's own eyesight, having optics that could protect the eyes would be pretty much mandatory).
>>
>>524784
>Why does it need a barrel with a standard looking flash hider?

That only looks like a birdcage suppressor anon. It's really a cherenkov degauser to re-polarize the inversion waves from the cyclotron (what may look like a gunbarrel to the untrained eye).
>>
File: anitalaughing.gif (3 MB, 256x234) Image search: [Google]
anitalaughing.gif
3 MB, 256x234
>>524789
>It's really a cherenkov degauser to re-polarize the inversion waves from the cyclotron (what may look like a gunbarrel to the untrained eye).
>>
>>524742
The skill is there, the design is just crap.
Spend more time in the planning / concept phase next time.
>>
>>522710
this is coming from someone completely new to 3DCG, but the geometry is jarring in an unpleasent way. that weird quadrangle shape in the middle portion contrasts with the rest of the gun, the magazine jutting out at that angle looks weird when you have a 90 degree angle right next to it. the magazine looks really unergonomic to pull out, if you're holding the but against your shoulder and needed to reload you would have to manipulate your hand or the gun in a weird way to replace the magazine which is the last thing you want to do in a firefight

just change the angle of the magazine so its not as akward, that bannana grip looks really weird, and the stock seems too short and low on the grip. it looks like somone's hand would be on part of the stock.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.