[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Honest question, why everybody here hates Blender? pic related
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 8
File: teacups_by_lcq92-d93x1vp.png (2 MB, 1000x1296) Image search: [Google]
teacups_by_lcq92-d93x1vp.png
2 MB, 1000x1296
Honest question, why everybody here hates Blender? pic related a render made with blender
>>
Because it doesn't have the same amount of support as the industry standard stuff.

Blender is good but not as good as the others.
>>
>>522225

Look up at the top of your screen, where the URL bar is. Do you see the "4chan" in there? That's a good indication that you're going to be dealing with trolls and asshats.
>>
>>522226
>doesn't have the same amount of support as the industry standard stuff

This is basically the only reason why. It can do almost everything the other programs do but when something craps out late at night or you run into a problem, autodesk is just a phone call away 24/7. This is a big dealbreaker for any company.

Look at Avid and 99.9% of the editing world. Not too many films/shows get made in Final Cut or Premiere. that's why it's such a big deal when they are.
>>
>>522225
Cause most of the people here are determined to "work in the industry" and they can't give up on the idea that a free software can do the job as well as their paid software of choice.

Another reason is blender's steep learning curve, its UI, because its missing one click wonders(which it isn't really missing once you understand how plugins work), because it's not really an artist oriented tool, it makes you understand how shit works in graphics world(proved by how many artists start learning python in order to make their own plugins).

Another reason is blender users's superiority complex, they think that because it's free, its faults cannot be argued against.

Another reason is Cycles, even to advanced users Cycles is a fucked up rendering engine, because of how lights work, how materials work and most of all the lack of basic personalization features like a material library, base materials, drag and drop of materials/objects and its retardedly fucked up save system, which makes it an impossible chore to keep a library throughout newer and newer versions.

I personally love blender, I love the controls, I love the UI, I love the community. What I hate is that devs spend too much time developing shit features like the game engine, or video editor, and they are slowing down development on crucial features like the old and buggy particle system, volumetrics, personalization features, implementing new methods for modelling/animation seen in other packages, like dynamic parenting in modo for example, the shitty format support, which works most of the time, but it doesn't most of the time. Blender is in my experience the fastest 3d modelling software. In the hands of a pro, blender is a fucking rocket in modelling, cause of the UI/controls.
>>
>>522225
Because it has the shittiest user interface of any 3D software but it's user base goes insane if there's any talk about improving it.

They're like fucking hipsters who think computer interfaces reached their peak in 1989.
>>
>>522233
>blender's UI is bad
You've probably only seen it in pics, what's wrong with it?
>>
>>522232
>its faults cannot be argued against

Which is why I would love to have some people do more cons than pros for the big name stuff like Maya and 3D Max.

I never ever see cons for how these programs suck just as equally. (btw, I'm all for the idea of using multiple programs)
>>
>>522225
Because everything is extremes on 4chins. The real problem with Blender is the "out of the box" settings are shit, and it needs a lot of add-ons (90% of which are free, the other 10% are available at a five finger discount), custom materials, custom light setups (or lighting add-ons), and a deep understanding of Cycles settings to really work well / get good results.

A lot of noobs model something, then hit Render, and the result looks like garbage because they're using default Materials, default World setting, default Lights, default Cycles settings (and not just too few samples; too many bounces, no render passes, no multiple importance, etc).
>>
>>522235
>what's wrong with it?

As just one example, when you go to the Render tab, why are crucial things like Samples and Dimensions and bounces split up into different regions?
Any time you aren't using a hotkey, you're probably clicking like 3+ times and scrolling.
Now you'll probably say "Yes but I only have to make that tweak once or twice for the life of the project", but that shit adds up.

And keep in mind when we're talking about good or bad UI, we're talking about quality of life, which is entirely subjective, and if you're already used to going down the river each morning to boil your water, the idea of indoor plumbing seems like an unnecessary luxury.

Le Andrew Price maymays aside, this video does a good job of exploring the Blender UI and pointing out flaws (his example improved UI is kinda meh, but at least he's proposing something):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWacQrEcMHk

His two videos are pretty long because they're pretty in-depth, so if you REALLY give a shit on why the UI is garbage (which you don't, because you've been going down to the river for years), watch parts 1 & 2
>>
>>522232

The devs spend time on things like the video editor because there's demand for it. Hell, I use Blender's video editor for all kinds of non-3D stuff, and was stoked as hell when the devs started working on it again.

The game engine does lack focus, though.

The features you mentioned:
- Particle system - Gooseberry did some work here, it's slated to be completed and integrated in the 2.8 cycle
- Volumetrics - I don't work with these - what is lacking?
- Personalization features - There's supposed to be a new library feature from Gooseberry that will come in during 2.8
- Save System - I haven't used the Gooseberry stuff, but I think versioning might be part of it
- Drag/Drop - Blender's interface doesn't use much DnD - using it for materials would go against the "feel" of the program.
- New methods from other packages - yeah, you're not likely to see this - Blender doesn't like to blanket copy other software
- Format support - tell me about it

I don't really see much of the whole "superiority complex" except for on 4chan, which is full of idiots and edgy teenagers.
>>
>>522225
Look, in all honesty people don't hate blender. We just take that stance here to piss off the blender users in this forum that have adopted blender as their religion.
And people don't hate on autdesk, they just taken that stance to piss off the autodesk 'wannabe master race' trolls here that think having pro-tier software installed makes them good CG artists.

So blendfags hate on autofags out of software-penis-envy so regular autofags hate back on blendfags as a knee jerk response.
Sandwiched in between is a lot of insecure fucks who can't stand the thought of not having the flower of the 'strongest software' bestowed onto whatever their personal choice.
Then we all keep that flame burning by pissing in each others faces because collectively our mental age is like that of a bad tempered 10y old.
>>
>>522241
First,
>I don't really see much of the whole "superiority complex"
Then you're blind, I use only blender and even I can see that.

Second,
-to be
-its bugged, settings make no sense, it's basically guessing how the smoke will behave, the buggy cache system doesn't help too
-to be
-to be
-drag and drop is essential for big parts of the industry, like arhiviz, or visualizations in general, a mat/object library is essential too. btw, there is drag and drop in blender, not knowing this shows how knowledgable you are about blender.
-why not, this makes no sense, an example would be the dynamic parenting in modo
-it lacks formats and fucks up some common formats like .fbx, I've had so many problems with fbx I gave up trying to work it out.

Look, I don't mind waiting for features, it just pisses me off that devs work on stupid shit. I can get behind the movie editor, but not the fucking game engine, that's going nowhere. I fuckign wish I had a lot of money, so I could hire them to fix the fucking particle system and lighting system of cycles, both are shit. Oh, and add more fucking procedural textures to cycles.
>>
>>522250

>Then you're blind, I use only blender and even I can see that.

I wasn't clear, I suppose. I don't see much of hte whole "superiority complex" from people who actually matter.

By default, people on 4chan or in youtube comments are idiots until proven otherwise.

I think you're looking at the "work on stupid shit" bit the wrong way, though. Look at what the paid developers do; they're the only ones that can be held responsible for the state of Blender, and they're the ones that are working on a lot of the features you're wanting. If the BF had more money to pay developers, more of those features could be worked on. Meanwhile, the unpaid devs work on whatever they want; that's just the nature of open source.

And I didn't say there wasn't drag and drop in Blender, only that it isn't at the forefront of Blender's workflow. Having it is fine, requiring it is not.

Oh, and "tell me about it" was meant in the spirit of "I completely agree." There was talk of dropping COLLADA completely and nuking FBX to just game-related features. I hope that doesn't happen.
>>
>>522225
>support
>some features that are industry standard in Maya and Cinema 4D aren't as well-developed
>more plugins, etc. available for Maya and others

It's a good piece of software.
I'm really glad that it exists and I use it from time to time, but it's in the details why I choose to work with Maya.
But that doesn't mean it's bad. Considering it's free it's absolutely incredible and has a few features I'd love to see in other applications, such the quick search or a few modeling tools.
>>
File: ReadNiggaRead_zpse82079de.gif (251 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
ReadNiggaRead_zpse82079de.gif
251 KB, 300x168
>>522233
I'm part of those people who go apeshit if someone talks about changing it.
The UI is shit to learn, but once you have it, it's the absolut best thing in the entire world.
I tried 3ds max for half a year, I tried modo, I tried maya. I tried all programs, but none of them can come even REMOTELY close to blenders UI regarding the normal low-poly modelling / texturing workflow. (even if modo is the best interfacewise out of those 3).
I get that the support isn't existant, and that there are alot of problems and bugs, but the UI is 80% the reason why I use this program instead of the industry standard ones.

In 3ds max, even a pro (you only have this much keys on your keyboard for shortcuts) has to fiddle through those fucking shitfest designed little minibuttons. In blender everything is keyboard. You use it with WSAD controls, and absolutely everything is layed out around your left hand.
This is what makes blender great imo, better than any other 3d program I have ever encountered.
>>
>>522269

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome
>>
>>522235

It fails the 15 minute rule.

If you have a well designed UI a novice should be able to pick up the basics of your software within 15 minutes of blind play.

Blender, you'll be still wondering "how the fuck do I select that fucking cube or move the camera properly, all I can do is move that weird target thing around the screen".

Blender users say "oh well you can set up the interface so it works more like standard software does" the point is you UI is failure because the familiar settings should be the default, not customized.

But Blender fags are all "But right mouse button select is a superior format and you normies with your left mouse button violate the purity of my software".

The only reason why anyone uses Blender is because it's free.

And you get what you pay for.
>>
>>522240

He got death threats for making that video.
>>
>>522276

The advantage of failing the 15 minute rule is that the type of people who give up in the first fifteen minutes wind up bitching about Blender on 4chan and don't clog up the Blender community.
>>
>>522296

It also means fewer Blender users which means less financial support which means less development resources for Blender.

I'm a Blender user and I agree 100% with Price. If we don't do something about our user interface and soon we'll probably become a community of elitist neckbeards in the next five years as better alternative become more affordable.

Our software tends to attract NEETs which is unfortunate because they don't have a lot of spare change to donate to the cause, and the people who do have money will likely buy affordable commercial alternatives.

We have to get reel in the isolationist segment of our community that see the unwieldy nature of our user interface like some sort of rite of passage that determines whether or not a person is worthy of using our software.

In short, while any community has its dicks our seems to openly encourage them and reacting negatively to just criticism and honest suggestions for improvement.

One of the biggest criticisms I hear is that our software is set up for the way that engineers think and not the way that artists think, and as a programmer I can see that is a valid assessment. There's no reason, other than a lack of will, that our software can't be made to accommodate both. But the NEET element of our community see that as a threat to the one thing they think makes them special.

Blender, like many open source software, has a serious cash flow problem. It may be "free" to the users but that's only because someone is paying for it. If we continue with this "fuck you, you're not worthy of using our software" mentality the money is going to dry up.

Our interface has also become too bloated making it difficult for new commands and plugins to be added.

It has to be fixed. But too many people scream "CYCLES" and not enough people are paying attention to the bigger picture.

In short, I'm a Blender user, but I find I hate about 90% of Blender users.
>>
>>522225

Blender's a part of my workflow.

After spending the past year in Zbrush and rigging in Maya, Blender really, really pisses me off when I have to use it.

So much of it is just frusterating. Poly modeling is really great. I love how much faster Blender is in that regard, but anything outside of getting fast edge loops in a model, Blender sucks.

If you want to do anything outside of just poly modeling, then don't use blender. It's that simple.

Want to render something? Blender is cancer.

Want to rig? Use the better tools that you can pirate.

If you're a beginner, which to be honest, you are, then torrent Maya. Do yourself the favor.
>>
>>522298
> In short, I'm a Blender user, but I find I hate about 90% of Blender users.

"And that was the last sentence of his suicide letter."

I agree with Price too, his videos about UI are really interesting
>>
blender user of 2 years here, i explored everything apart from the video editor.

>Modeling
its good, i think if you know what you are doing you can go fast, subdivison i ok too i haven't found any problems with it, i don't know if we have a auto correct for stretched faces but it would be nice
>UV
unwrapping system is OK, but we could really the plugin that makes that arranges the faces to be even
>rigging/animations
didn't have any problems with it, i don't know why people complain, i haven't fully figured the NLDA editor
>cycles
i don't like it, it requires lots of setup, would have to download a config file to get decent 1 button renders. its slow too.
>texture painting
its ok but few things
1.make it so i can save my color palette
2.give me more than 8px of edge padding
3.add some more brushes
>sculpting
nothing special, haven't used it very much.
>baking
hell on earth, for some reason it only bakes well on 4k maps which i have to downscale, instead of a wizard that's dedicated to baking we have to work with the uv editor which shouldn't be related to baking whatsoever, keep everything in texture tab. also have to deselect the texture you want to bake for, i understand the logic but who would guess that's what you need
>>
>>522225
I hate to be "that guy" but this thread looks as good as any to ask que question: Is it really worth it giving up 3 years of experience with Blender to switch to Maya? I'm currently going for a masters to get a teaching job at unis teaching 3D modelling for games or anything 3D related
I've been fiddling with maya but the modelling feels like a chore compared to blender
>No context sensitive shortcuts
>Have to use the gizmo for everything
>Have to click buttons in the ui for something i would do in a second with shortcuts
Yes yes, i know you can configure maya's shortcuts, but even so, it's nowhere close to blender's excellent shortcuts.
The only advantages with using maya would be its integration with UE4 Physix system (apex) and the possibility of using substance files within the software itself, i don't even consider the "industry standard" a huge deal, but the integrations with other softwares are my main motivation.
>>
>>522310
Forgot to mention, but this question is aimed at former blender users who switched to maya (if any)
>>
>>522298
>But too many people scream "CYCLES"
I think Cycles should just have MLT and better caustics implemented and then be left alone and have the Cycles team work on other things. I believe that Cycles came too late into the renderer scene especially with much more advanced open source renderers out there Like Luxrender and Yafaray (and now PRman, sort of). Really the only thing cycles can out do them in is speed and ease of use.

I really think that Andrew should break away from Cycles.
>>
>>522312
that speed only comes from it not being as complex as the others.
>>
>>522310
if you wanna "work in the industry", yes
>>
>>522254
oh, ok
and, yeah, if you look at most of the blender forums, old users don't wanna hear anything bad about blender, andrew price says that in his UI "proposal" video.

>>522276
I'm not sure about that, maybe they should have introductory tutorials like solidworks, when I first started solidworks it looked to me like visual studio to a nigger, yet after I went through their tutorials I started to play it like a violin.

About the right click, I can't for the life of me understand what was their reasoning, the 3d cursor is an awesome feature, but it couldve been right-click.

>>522299
>Want to rig? Use the better tools that you can pirate.
Never had a problem with blender's rigging, especially with most of the plugins it has, complex rigs are as complex as in other software and just as hard to make, the constraints are awesome as well, the animation editor is as great as other software, even though its missing a feature here and there, but with blending, the graph editor and modifiers(which you can animate, you can animate almost anything in blender) you can make some dope animations in no time(if you have the skills).
Cycles is fucking cancer, though, I can't lie to myself that it's good, relative to other non-biased renderers it's as fast, it's not slower or anything, but, it has four main problems. Not having a standartized lighting system, not having base mats/library, the node system, which has a lot of features nobody knows exist or how they work and the lack of procedural textures, I just might code that 2-3 days from now, cause I fucking hate that shit, it doesn't even have all the textures from the texture tab.
>>
>>522322
>lack of procedural textures
didn't they have like 10? i know that blender internal got some
i agree the light handling suck in cycles, also no mats to work with
>>
>>522322
>About the right click, I can't for the life of me understand what was their reasoning, the 3d cursor is an awesome feature, but it couldve been right-click.

I've been told it's done to create "brand recognition". Since the 80s left click select, right click menu has been the norm. Blender purposefully reversed it give it something that made it seem unique.
>>
>>522310
You can always keep modeling in Blender, you know
>>
File: 1366538804297.png (12 KB, 560x407) Image search: [Google]
1366538804297.png
12 KB, 560x407
>Hurr right click select argument

Why is right click to select bad? Anyone with half a brain would think that if left click did nothing to select then the obvious thing to do is to right click.
>>
>talking about a piece of software as if it were a person

It's a tool, guys. Blender does what it says it does.
>>
>>522351
it could be shift+clic, or ctrl or alt or middle mouse button or selecting with your dick directly on the screen
>>
>>522328
It just drives off newbies and it makes users that use several packages such as me angry.

>>522351
It's not bad, its unnecessary.
>>
>>522358
>its unnecessary.
How?
>>
>>522346
Yeah, but i'd rather not keep switching and exporting stuff, i mean that's if include maya in my workflow.
>>522321
I already work in the industry
>>
>>522310
Used Blender exclusively for 5 years, then started learning Maya.
I constantly go back to Blender for things like modifiers. Maya's history feature is beyond retarded, there's no selection of important things that are best kept dynamic and "fire-and-forget" functions you'll never touch again that clog up the history.
There are two things Maya is better at though:
- The pivot system is a lot better
- Maya breaks custom normals only 50% of the time while Blender is practically guaranteed to fuck them up.
>>
>>522362
It could've been right click, the current scheme doesn't make it better, it's just different.

>>522363
Good for you.
>>
>>522310

So you're hoping to get a job at a university teaching 3D which means you'll most likely be teaching Maya.... and you're wondering if it's a good idea to learn Maya?

Ladies and Gentlemen, The American Education System.
>>
>>522362

Because every other fucking program since Microsoft first started supporting two button mice have used left click to select and right click for menu.

Purposefully reversing that as the default just so you can brand your product as "unique" is not only unnecessary it's idiotic. 99.8% of the users swap that out as soon as they learn how because it's fucking stupid. Everyone agrees it should be swapped as the default. But Blender insists upon keeping it because it makes their product "stand out" from the crowd.

Yeah well a fucking down syndrome kid stands out at a Mensa convention too.
>>
>>522431

That .2 that don't are the problem. Literally everything wrong with our community boils down to the "arbitrary standards" neckbeards.
>>
>>522351
i can't think of any other program i've ever used where right click selects
>>
It was quite easy to get used to right mouse select (you had to back then, it wasn't reconfigurable if I'm correct). Might be because I played Freelancer around the time I picked up Blender, and in that you fired your weapons with right mouse.

It was never a problem for me to get used to other software with left mouse select, and I use Blender on a daily basis. And I never heard any complaint in real life about it from those who are starting out with it.

One reasoning for it I heard (not sure where) was that it makes you use both your index and ring finger, distributes the workload to two fingers, making RSI a bit less of a problem.
>>
about the right click select
https://vimeo.com/76335056
>>
>>522322

Everyone keeps going on about Andrew Price's proposal, which even he went back on and admitted needed a lot of work (listen to his audio broadcasts).

Here's the deal: Blender is community driven, and every community has people who want change and people who want things to stay the same.

Adding features is easy (as far as the community is concerned - getting them past the devs is another story), but changing the way things work will meet all kinds of resistance.

Autodesk doesn't have to worry about things like that; they're on top, so as long as they don't fuck things up completely, they can do pretty much whatever they want. See all the bitching on here every time a new version comes out? Imagine if all those people had actual say in the boardroom and design meetings at autodesk. That's the situation Blender is in.

Andrew proposed a wide sweeping change to the Blender UI that rivaled the change from 2.4 to 2.5. The end result got rid of a lot of features and workflow that people like. The fact that he didn't anticipate the community's reaction is completely his fault; he didn't think things through.

It's a bad deal for him, because to most people that kind of thing kills your self esteem and makes you bitter towards the community. Good did come out of it, of course - we have a UI team now, for instance - but the type of changes he proposed are _never_going_to_happen_. A lot of us consider that a good thing. If I wanted something that looked like what he was proposing, I'd be using different software altogether.

TL;DR If you want what AP proposed, just torrent Maya.
>>
>>522225
It's like using a sharp rock you made to carve a sculpture; sure, caveman tools are free, but is it really more efficient than a hammer and chisel from the shitty overpriced art store with the millennial hipster staff manning the checkout?
>>
>>522716
but that's a myth, blender is capable of doing what maya does.
if you make garbage in blender you will make garbage in maya, there is no running from sitting on your ass learning your package from scratch
>>
>>522741
But the point wasn't that Blender is not capable of doing the same things as proprietary software, it's that Blender is not as fast and easy, and is thus less efficient.
>>
>>522793
This. In theory you could do pretty much the same CGI shots we see today in software from the late 90's. But doing it in those would be super labor intensive and require so much of the user to pull off that it just isn't realistic.

It's a lot like saying gimp and photoshop are equal because you can color a pixel any way you want in both and it's just up to the skill of the artist what that color is to be.
>>
>>522798
this is just over-exaggeration
blender is not a 90's CGI software. its mostly how you like to work, the speed which you do things is simply to know your way around things.
you are talking as if it takes 2 hours to create the same render in blender that would take 1 hour in maya/vray which is absurd
>>
>>522429
That's not it at all, for one, i am free to choose which software i use, since i'll be teaching 3D fundamentals, so i could use fucking softimage if i wanted to, second, i'm not american so.. wut?
>>
Same reason sports fans shit on their rivals, or /v/ has console wars, unfiltered pure retardation.
>>
>>522429
Why Maya rather than Max? My prof for computer drawing gave us an intro to Max for arch viz. No Maya.
>>
>>522225
Let's not beat around the bush, it's because it doesn't cost money; everything worth something costs money.
>>
File: adal_duda_maussy1.jpg (87 KB, 330x296) Image search: [Google]
adal_duda_maussy1.jpg
87 KB, 330x296
>>523428

So sketchup pro is better than Blender?
>>
>>523428
On a scale from 1 to potato, how retarded are you?
>>
>>522793
>>522798

>it's that Blender is not as fast and easy, and is thus less efficient.

It's not fast and easy out of the box; you have to learn how to set things up and then save your own configs / libraries of whatever it is (lighting setup, render settings, whatever), and learning how everything works is quite a challenge.
>>
i have problems with cycles

>textures not displaying correctly like they do in other renders
>every texture you connect is either too strong or too dark
>only way to fix it is to connect more nodes
>some things like normal maps are not even displaying correctly
>can't even adjust AO intensity witout connecting 3 different nodes
>have to connect shitload of mix shader and multiply nodes for models to display currently like they do in real time
>the materials within aren't even good
>procedurals look like ass
>>
>>524389
Just use Luxrender. Trust me you'll save yourself a lot of time on materials. Only downside is that Lux is not as developed as Cycles is in some areas (like a dedicated hair shader, color ramp, etc. for example) and will rely more on the textures you use if that makes any sense, but it does have better materials. I guess what I mean is if you have to edit any of the textures it would be in another program so try to get it right the first time. And the other is speed at the cost of better accuracy. However it does have more render modes and samplers which can be better fine tuned for speed vs. accuracy.

>Inb4 thread turns into big renderer shit flinging contest
>>
>>524393
i already have lux installed but im not sure where to start, can you direct me towards rendering pbr?
>>
>>524396
>can you direct me towards rendering pbr?
PBR is just a buzzword. There is no set way on how to do it. You have to spend the time to get it right. But I warn you, the more you start doing this the more time you will spend IRL autistically looking at things and how they shade, how glossy it is, and things like that. One time I spent a whole 5 minutes in a Target just looking at one thing studying the way it shades.

Read the Luxrender Wiki and watch some of Andrew Price's tutorials but instead of following him in Cycles do it in Luxrender.

http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/Main_Page
>>
>>524400
>buzzword
so your telling me every render does PBR differently? all im looking for is a way to connect my greyscale roughness/metallic to nodes without hooking up millions of multiply nodes. even unity can do it i don't see why its such a problem with offline render
>>
File: Capture.jpg (151 KB, 1473x977) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
151 KB, 1473x977
>>524402
>so your telling me every render does PBR differently?
Physically based rendering is just rendering materials you put on an object based on real world parameters. Anyone who says "I do PBR rendering" is talking out of their ass and doesn't know shit. All unbiased renderers do essentially the same thing. however some do certain things better than others. When it comes to node setup all the complexity comes from whoever developed it. Really those multiply and color ramp nodes are for fine tuning and can greatly help sell the realism if that's what you're trying to go for You pretty much only need one unless you are going for a really complex material. See pic related. Used with Luxrender.
>>
>>524411
i think i found a solution, but thanks anyways
lux does have a nice metal material
>>
File: Ring.png (798 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
Ring.png
798 KB, 960x540
>>522225
I love Blender, look what I made following a tutorial, you watch I will be making cool shit in no time.
>>
File: Tower.png (276 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
Tower.png
276 KB, 960x540
>>524431
> A month later.
fuck Blender
>>
>>524432
You're on the wrong tutorials, mate.
>>
>>522236
>>I never ever see cons for how these programs suck just as equally.
people shit talk Maya ALL the time. It's finally heading in a better direction though, in my opinion.
>>
>>524432

lol don't know if you're joking but the exact same thing happened to me, now I love 3dmax and im not planning on turning back to shitnder
>>
>>525673
Kinda joking, but it might just be me, following Tutorials I do fine, but when it comes time to make my own thing I tend to forget how to do everything and flounder.
>>
>>522225
Cycles render?
>>
>>525727
What the fuck do you think?
>>
>>522231
>Not too many films/shows get made in Final Cut
FC outpaced Avid pretty hard until Final Cut X shat the bed with backwards incompatibility and undesired new paradigms, and Apple refused to listen to their user base, many of whom were Hollywood film editors.
>>
>>522225
>Honest question, why everybody here hates Blender? pic related a render made with blender

Several reasons:
> Welcome to 4chan
> Welcome to /3/
> Most Blenderfags will never make anything halfway decent but will insist on shitting up the internet with their creations

On Blender itself:
> Cycles is slow, convoluted shite that is not likely to ever achieve performance parity with other unbiased rendering engines (even if some talented artists are able to cajole good renders out of it).
> Game Engine should just be dropped, no sane person should use it when professional alternatives like UE4 are freely available.

That said Blender is good at:
> Modelling whether it's low poly to subdiv
> UV mapping and texturing (though baking can be hit & miss)
> Animating (but generally agreed not be as good as Maya).

Sculpting could be a good addition to modelling toolset but needs some work (particularly to underlying data model, Blender cannot handle millions of polys well atm). Blender devs should focus on making Blender an asset creation tool because it is already pretty good at that and improving its integrating into other programs pipeline.

Blender isn't as bad as some make it out to be. Maya, Max, Modo etc have their own faults & shortcomings too.
>>
>>522278

Probably all the edgelords from places like this.that dislike it when people propose change
>>
>>526694
Pretty sure having an opinion on any subject on the internet where people can respond with comments below will grant you death threats these days.
At the very least some person will respond by requesting you to commit suicide if they can't agree with what's being said.
>>
>>522278
How autistic do you have to be to give someone death threats over a UI proposal?
>>
>>522240
>18:44
Check your open source privilege, shitlords.
>>
>>522276
>Blender, you'll be still wondering "how the fuck do I select that fucking cube or move the camera properly, all I can do is move that weird target thing around the screen".

You just described my exact thoughts when I first started 3d and thought blender was a good idea, thanks for that.
>>
>>522276
>Blender, you'll be still wondering "how the fuck do I select that fucking cube or move the camera properly, all I can do is move that weird target thing around the screen".

That was the first thing I figured out, within a minute of starting it up. If your dumbass can't think to try right-clicking stuff, you probably shouldn't be trying to computer.
>>
>>522276
I'm completely new and for me it was the other way around. I watched a five minute tutorial for both blender and 3ds max. Personally I think blender makes so much more sense. Out of the box you can render pretty pleasant stuff. 3ds max is a sea of settings using words I've never heard and nothing looks good.
>>
Sup /3/. Manager from a big outsourcing 3d company here.
If I ever get a CV which says Blender and no knowledge of max or maya, no matter how good youre at it, that CV goes straight into the trash.

Hope this helps.
:^)
>>
>>526967
^^
>>
File: unsure Bill Cosby.jpg (92 KB, 374x374) Image search: [Google]
unsure Bill Cosby.jpg
92 KB, 374x374
>>526967
>Company works withmax or maya
>CV has no mention of max or maya knowlegde
>CV goes into trash

Gee, who'da thought that wouldn't happen?
>>
>>526967

Tooth fairy here.

If we find a tooth under the pillow of someone with no Maya or Max experience, we leave pesos instead of quarters.

Hope this helps.
>>
>>522222
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.