[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Need help with my model, the normals that i just baked have theses
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: Norm.png (123 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
Norm.png
123 KB, 1024x1024
Need help with my model, the normals that i just baked have theses funky artfiacts on them and i don't know why.

In maya.
>>
File: A.png (18 KB, 250x671) Image search: [Google]
A.png
18 KB, 250x671
>>522069
low poly
>>
File: B.png (20 KB, 371x671) Image search: [Google]
B.png
20 KB, 371x671
>>522070
high poly
>>
they look exactly the same.
why the fuck are you baking?
>>
>>522075
So, That my lowest subdivision level that is about 300 has the detail that my 5k model has.
>>
File: lp.png (16 KB, 250x671) Image search: [Google]
lp.png
16 KB, 250x671
>>522070
>>522071
I agree with:
>>522075
They look the same. High poly != low poly + subdiv. I would lose those cuts on the low poly (see image) and let the normal map fake that detail.

As for the artifacts looks like the renderer is confused about which face it's hitting. Are your UVs mirrored?
>>
>>522083
I can upload the meshes if you want to check? But they aren't.
>>
>>522082
>5k
you are doing this wrong.
>>
>>522083
How do you mirror UVs on a cylinder? It has 1 seam down it's length, or you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>522085
OK have a look at:
http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Normal_map

In particular:
http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Texture_Baking#Solving_Intersections

Should have the info you need.

>>522121
2 seams: 1 on either side - split the cylinder into 2 shells. That way if you wanted a logo or something on a barrel you don't have to duplicate it in the texture - plus 2x resolution.

But yes this would create 2 ugly seams, so not always ideal.
>>
Those two models look the exact same. One might have shit load more polys but it doesn't make a difference if you don't add any extra detail to the high-poly. Add some detail to it, make sure your low is properly UV mapped and make sure your envelope covers the entire high, and that they're both inside one another.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.