[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the use of boolean modifiers?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6
File: boolfool.jpg (35 KB, 412x304) Image search: [Google]
boolfool.jpg
35 KB, 412x304
- the resulting mesh is a shitload of crap
- triangles and ngons everywhere
- therefore pretty much unusable to UV map and texture
- can't be subdivided without fuck ugly glitches
- retopo afterwards to get a clean mesh negates the saved time

So what's the fucking point?
>>
renders
>>
>>522057
>without textures
>with broken specular effects
>>
Easy as shit to use booleans now, but I haven't used blender. Perhaps the devs haven't implemented updated algorithms.
>>
File: 1461803506021.jpg (40 KB, 380x725) Image search: [Google]
1461803506021.jpg
40 KB, 380x725
>>522055
I never used booleans in my workflow, not until recently

It's pretty useful for blocking, where it's still low poly prior to smoothing. That way it's easier to make a perpendicular tube with an 8 sided cylinder than to shape new edges and extruding it. It's also pretty good because you can get a perfect circular extrusion than an approximate through shaping edges and extruding.
Rarely ever comes up though, not unless you do a lot of hard surface shit, and usually it's pretty situational

Judging by the OP however, I'm guessing you're just a retard that decided to boolean with retardedly mismatched polycount meshes, like that cringey OP image

>32 fucking sided cylinder, thirty fucking two
>6 faced primitive cube
>That attempt at retopo, somehow worse than the fact that you used a fucking 32 sided cylinder
>>
How the hell would you cut a specified shape through a mesh without booleans ?
>>
how exactly would you merge a cylinder with a cube without getting triangles?
>>
I have seen it used properly in a character with big eyeballs. They had a boolean modifier with a cube so the eyes wouldnt clip through the cheeks and mouth.
>>
>>522055
Some algorithms need the mesh to be a single manifold, in which case it's a hell of a useful tool. It all depends on your needs.

>- triangles and ngons everywhere
Which is only a problem for skinned or subdivided meshes.

>- retopo afterwards to get a clean mesh negates the saved time
Nah, there are cases where it'll provide a more easily usable basis for the retopo.
>>
File: Beretta_92FS_left.jpg (923 KB, 3008x2000) Image search: [Google]
Beretta_92FS_left.jpg
923 KB, 3008x2000
>>522055
To get contact edges of complex shapes right.
way less hassle than trying to eyeball it.
>>
>>522081

I ain't even mad, I'm just amazed I actually wasted a minute to illustrate something so fucking braindead simple
>>
>>522067
yes its for those mechas/robots/machinery you couldn't unwrap even if you had good topology
>>
>>522133
Sorry for the stupid question, but why is it not better to not merge them in the first case and have them as two separate objects? Merging them creates a crapton of polygons
>>
Everything in Blender exists as a check on a checklist. Everything was made by programmers with no connections or input from professional artists so everything is dildos, just there, barely usable.
>>
>>522144

Depends on the object of course but you might not want a visible seam.
>>
>>522055
If you can't use a fucking boolean an clean up any of the small mess it makes, or you're not willing to, just un-install the program you're using.
>>
>>522133
That is not a cube, idiot
>>
>>522179
>that is not a cube
>length, height and width looks about the same
>not a cube
????
>>
>>522179
hahahha are you fucking retarded or just a troll
>>
>>522144
Like the other anon said, it depends on the object and goal of the mesh
Mostly it comes down to if you need the connection between the two forms to flow into each other or not, and it's pretty situational
Further on when you do more hard modelling projects, you may need to keep certain parts in one mesh and some you can keep separate, it's a learning process to see if you need to merge them or not

>>522179
Oh I get it, you want primitive cube without any additional loops (for some dumb reason)
Is it a game model? Because if it is, then all the points in the OP are invalidated because there will be no smoothing, it isn't any harder to UV (game model or not, actually it's no harder if it's a cinematic model), no ngons, and triangles are fine since game model
Unless you fucked up, the triangles cut on the flat face wouldn't cause any rendering abnormalies

That said, why the fuck would you want that? In a case of preserving tri count, they wouldn't be merged together anyways
>>
File: Capture.jpg (127 KB, 1407x745) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
127 KB, 1407x745
Does blender not have smoothing groups or something?
>>
>>522202
It technically doesn't, but you can work around it by using the Edge Split modifier and setting some sharp edges. You can also set a face to use flat/smooth shading.
>>
>>522133
You didn't waste a minute, cause 3dsmax or whatever this package is takes at least 3 minutes to load.
>>
>>522220
you don't even need that.
just mark sharp on the edges you need, go to vertex groups and click "auto smooth" and set the angel to 100
>>
>>522227
That's true, it's Maya and it does take a while for it to load up
But I already had it open since I was actually doing something instead of just mindlessly browsing /3/, so no anon, I only wasted about 60 seconds
>>
>>522319
Ok, nice comeback, I can't lie.
>>
File: testcube.jpg (225 KB, 716x857) Image search: [Google]
testcube.jpg
225 KB, 716x857
>>522055
Works for me
>>
>>522340
/thread
>>
>>522055
Just don't use it...far easier to just manually patch
>>
>>522340
what kind of shit topology is this
>>
>>522397
If it looks good it doesn't matter
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.