[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I figure this would be the best place to ask. I'd really
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7
File: 1440199149322.jpg (345 KB, 576x1024) Image search: [Google]
1440199149322.jpg
345 KB, 576x1024
I figure this would be the best place to ask.

I'd really like to get into making anime figurines (sexy girls, really)

I know I can sculpt a cutie on zbrush, now, I want to 3d print the model, and eventually airbrush it to look like a legit finished figure.

The idea is to print off a solid plastic figure to sand and paint (pic related)

Are there any known tutorials, resources, information on this subject? ie, what 3dprinter to use, how to configure the model for printing.

There is a large community for "garage kits" so I am not worried about lack of information on the painting/polishing side.
>>
>>>/g/
>>
The main thing you should be looking at is the precision of the printer. 50 microns is about the width of an A4 paper but there are printers that can print with 10 micron precision. It's literally impossible to see any stepping artifacts with those. Some of the 200 micron printers are good and cheap as well but they show clear stepping artifacts so you'll have to decide what kind of tradeoff you wanna do.

I suggest you look at the series for Makerbot, Replicator, Zortrax and Ultimaker.
>>
File: 21861330221_1f45902e58_b.jpg (102 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
21861330221_1f45902e58_b.jpg
102 KB, 768x1024
>>521890
Couldn't you just use the 200~ and sand it a bit?
>>
>>521891
You can but for weight and cartridge optimization purposes the prints are usually empty inside and carving can result in breaking up chunks of the model. So you should print with a decent thickness or with full volume. Then you can sand it and glaze it I guess. I'd rather just go with a precise printer though. For the rest of your future prints as well.
>>
>>521891
nudes?
>>
>>521888
The /diy/ board has a lot of threads on 3d printers and printing

>>521891
You can use an acetone vaporizer to smooth it too
>>
>>521893
>are usually empty inside
you can configure a print to have multiple concentric shell adjacent one next to the other, making its walls thicker
the real problem of sanding is warping, if only slightly, the details of the model, making it slightly more angular and so

unless OP is gonna buy the hardware he could just go to a makerspace and print on a resin printer with high resolution
>>
>>521913
> You can use an acetone vaporizer to smooth it too
To smooth the printed hard plastic ? Should I just soak the 3d print in acetone batch ?
>>
I personally have done my own amount of research on this
My conclusion:
Don't fucking do it

3D printing as it is right now, isn't really made for this shit, in the end, you're going to use traditional sculpting anyways
Print it, sand the shit out of it and you lose all fine details, so you're going to need to fix all that with traditional materials, such as sculpey
Problem with that? You can't bake your Super Sculpey fixes because there goes your print
Second problem, statues are managable, just a lot of work, but articulation? Material doesn't cut it

You want it quick, sure, no problem, sculpt in ZBrush, whatever, you have your finished piece right? Then simple, just print in high detail resin.
Seriously, that's it, prime it, then paint it.
Problem? That shit is ridiculously pricey, just check out the prices yourself, just make a 1inx1inx1in cube and get a quotation on that cube alone

In the end, unless you want to burn your wallet, just go traditional. Seriously.
>>
>>521945
I've seen it done relatively well.

If you do resin casting- with a low micron count.
I've seen as low as 25 on consumer models.
>>
>>521945
>>521956

here's the garage kit. Looks pretty high quality to me.
>>
>>521957
>that retarded face
why?
>>
>>521966
It's a western artist.
>>
>>521968
as opposed to what? Far east lamer?
>>
>>521969
Nah, it's just a lot of western artists tend to fuck up the face
>>
>>521971
you're just inserting "western" into the sentence to appear more edgy
>>
File: 3173747-image01.jpg (54 KB, 360x507) Image search: [Google]
3173747-image01.jpg
54 KB, 360x507
>>521956
>>521957
Like I said, only viable option is a high resolution print for the usual scale of figures or statues. Print it, make a mould an cast that shit in better material. Problem is it's ridiculously pricey, but really, if you have the money, why the fuck not? I'm just saying realistically, it's not worth the price right now, and I'd rather go traditional at this point
Sculpt traditionally, make a mould, cast that shit. Same shit minus the headache and 30 days of instant noodles for meals.
>>
>>522072
Got any links to where I can learn how to do this traditionally?
>>
File: 8096607.jpg (37 KB, 318x411) Image search: [Google]
8096607.jpg
37 KB, 318x411
>>522080
Don't take my word for it, since I stopped looking into it at this point :^)

A basic Sculpting tutorial on Youtube or Google will do the trick, but here are some specifics I can point you at (there were a few specific guides which I think were useful, but I couldn't find them anymore)

Pop Sculpture: How to Create Action Figures and Collectible Statues
>book, pretty self explainatory, and recommended by /toy/'s Custom General when I asked
http://www2d.biglobe.ne.jp/~dhnoah/make_00.htm
>specifically a BJD, but material and blocking for articulation is relevant given if it's the type of finishing you want (as seen on most dolls)
http://www.shinbonecreative.com/how-to-make-toys/
>General FAQ, but is more 3DCG rooted, but still applies, explains and highlights aspects about the process
http://www.mnartists.org/article/how-make-your-own-vinyl-toysculptures
Quick article

The ones I lost were more in-depth, but they're descriptively lost, ask /toy/ since I got it all from them
>>
>>521936
it's a technique u have to experiment with yourself, takes time to get it right. In the end it resembles injected molded plastic, no lines all smooth, except the base.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.