[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm trying to learn Zbrush and have about a year's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
So I'm trying to learn Zbrush and have about a year's experience in blender. Anyone know how to set Zbrush's navigation controls (zoom, pan, rotate) to the blender defaults? Really having a hard time, googled the shit out of this and just found a bunch of autistic 4+ year old threads.

thanksz
>>
Took one search.

http://docs.pixologic.com/user-guide/customizing-zbrush/hotkeys/
>>
>>520469

Zbrush navigation makes the most sense for the program. Just practice it.
>>
>>520469
also rec to get used to it
zbrush isnt real 3d, its 2,5d and the way it works starts making sense in longer run
at lest the navigation, the ui is just fuck ass retarded and will never make sense
>>
>>520487
Listen to him.
>>
What they said. It's usually better to learn a program's native navigation IMO. Once you get used to it, it only takes a moment to adapt when switching back and forth between programs.
>>
>>520469
one of the things that helped me with the navigation when I started with zbrush is the customization of the interface, you can get the views from > texture> image plane>reference views, and put them in a side panel
>>
op, is this your work, or did you just pull a random image to use with your post?
>>
>>520683

Would someone new to Zbrush work at Naughty dog using said software ?
>>
>>520684
i don't fuckin' know, i'm merely in the research-before-purchasing phase of my 3dprinting adventure, and i haven't really played any vidya since like.. bandicoot and goldeneye days.. so i had to google that shit, too.
>>
>>520497
>zbrush isnt 3d
>its 2.5d

the fuck are you on
>>
>>521500
Its a weird 2D drawing thing that turns into 3D
Another anon can explain it better, but its not true "3D" as you would see in other programs, but thats what gives it strength (and can make it really frustrating)
>>
>>522308
why frustrating ?
>>
I agree with previous anon's that Zbrush is more like drawing than 3D modeling, so much that I use a tablet just like in Photoshop. Hard to explain, but is immediately evident when using the software.
>>
>>522308
its a 3d program anon. You can't have a half a dimension in anything, in any field. Its a marketing buzzword is all it is.
>>
>>522922
It's not really a buzzword, it's a reference to how z-brush stores and display depth information. It started out as a '2.5D' canvas where you edited from a fixed view and then expanded into a 360 view - but without any field of vision.

Reason zbrush can display such a stupendous amount of geometry without slowing down is this 2.5D approach to 3D geometry.
>>
>>522940
there isnt a thing as a 2.5 dimension. Stop kidding yourself. It was all marketing to appear different.
>>
>>522959
>marketing to appear different.

But it doesn't just appear different anon, it is indeed different. The 2.5D description is a self-label of the concept and one that is quite descriptive too to anyone who isn't afflicted by severe internet autism.

It's highly 3D while having certain limitations that are not present in 'true' 3D. But since it clearly isn't 2D either they dubbed it '2.5D' to capture how it's something that is somewhere in between.
The fact that the Z-plane or 'depth' is the dimension treated differently than in standard Cartesian 3D is also reflected in the products name.
>>
>>522961
mate....if you have an object that you can rotate around you have 3D. Full 3D. If your editor looks like Super Mario Bros from 1992 then you have 2D. It really is that simple.

New companies will try to put a spin on their products to differentiate themselves. Tons of companies do this, in every industry. Its just hype / spin
>>
>>522962
>It really is that simple.

While I'm sure you are convinced that is the case, from your examples it is clear you lack any technical comprehension so just be informed you're arguing from a point of ignorance.
If you expanded your knowledge by studying the subject you are discussing your ass-hatedness would be brought into focus before you.

In the history of computer graphics as well as in contemporary cg there are multiple methods of apparent depth that all fall into some category of being pseudo 3D effects.
parallax and normal mapping being shining examples. 'DOOM' and 'Duke Nukem 3D' being very famous examples of games with limited aspects of having a third dimension.
>>
>>522967

Arguing wit trolls will get you nowhere mate.
>>
>>523088
Sure it will, there are other people than the person I am speaking to that are receiving this message.
Some of them might not know about this stuff and can have their understanding furthered even if the message don't get across to the person/troll I am directly addressing.
When you are discussing a subject in front of a wider audience like this it's the accuracy of the message that counts, not how it is received by this and that specific individual.

And if nothing else it provides an opportunity for me to practice expressing myself in a language I otherwise just read and listen to.
>>
>>523097
This response is spot on. I actually wasn't aware that there are differences in understanding z-brush compared to other programs mostly because I'm not that familiar with it. Since the other posts were made, I'm more interested in looking up to see if what was said is true, and if it is I want to know hoe it works in greater detail.

In other cases I post much the same way making a reply that tries to add to the overall conversation even if it doesn't directly reach the person replied to, and in his case I'm not sure that he's a troll. If what you're saying is true he just comes off as being ignorant while trying to sound as if he comes from a place of knowledge. Which is no surprise as this is the internet and, better yet, this is 4chan, and better still, a vaguely tech related board.
>>
>>522967
both of those are 3d with 2d pathing(in this case the targeting is 2d as well), as are most rts games like warcraft, starcraft, even diablo 3(those ones have 3d targeting as the points on the screen for unit selection are raycasted from the camera).
parallax and normal mapping are two different things, as normal mapping is a 3d method.

one can argue how easy it would've been to make 3d targeting in doom and duke nukem as well, it sounds easy to implement the actual shotting, but not easy to implement the camera rotation.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.