[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HELP ME DECIDE
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
So it's finally time for me to buy a new machine. I'm looking for a workstation laptop. Now, my focus is obviously 3D/CAD applications. Mainly 3Ds Max, Blender and Solidworks.

Here's my shortlist please help me decide:

Dell Precision 15 5000 (5510)

Dell Precision M4800 Mobile Workstation w/ NVIDIA Quadro K1100M with 2GB GDDR5 dedicated memory

Lenovo Thinkpad P50 w/ NVIDIA Quadro M2000M 4GB
>>
>laptop
>>
>>518639

Should've seen this coming.

I already have a proper workstation. I want something portable as well that I can use when I travel. Freelancers don't get vacations.
>>
>>518638
>I'm looking for a workstation laptop. Now, my focus is obviously 3D/CAD applications. Mainly 3Ds Max, Blender and Solidworks.
>workstation meme

wait for pascal
>>
>>518641

wat?

I haven't been on this board for years. What meme? Also, what is pascal?
>>
If having a MBP is like shoving a dick up your ass, then having a 5510 is shoving a dildo; it's intended to directly compete with it hence your paying extra $$$ for style
>>
those are interesting ways of spelling "macbook pro"
>>
>>518644
Pascal is the next generation of Nvidia GPUs.
>>
>>518641
Don't listen to that. I bought my gpu 3 months ago and everyone said that I am stupid and should have waited for pascal cards and what not. I call bullshit because I needed to work right now not in some distant future.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/nvidia-gtc-keynote-other-news/

you can try to search more info about gtc presentation but from this info you can already understand vibe. Currently for high end computing (supercomputers and research facilities) and perhaps in summer for gamers some card. And will it be for laptop - ask that vise guy if he knows that much.
>>
Who the fuck uses a laptop as a CAD station - l2technology
>>
if its not sculpting you are good
>>
>>518737
>3dsmax
>mac
also i don't now shit about hardware, but everyone i know usually goes for "gaming" laptops for CG work. No idea how your shortlist compares to them, but Rogs and whatnot might interest you
>>
>>518754
That pascal meme comes from the VR hype and gaming in general. If you gotta work to do right now, it doesn't help you. If you don't have to upgrade right now, it makes sense to wait.

I have an old GTX660 which still runs pretty well with Houdini Sims and rendering. I am not going to upgrade until i get some next gen chip with 2-4times the power for the same amount of money.
>>
>>518814
>I have an old GTX660 which still runs pretty well with Houdini Sims and rendering. I am not going to upgrade until i get some next gen chip with 2-4times the power for the same amount of money.
no anatomy tree nigger pls
>>
You'll probably want this
>>>/g/53944445
>>
>>518638
Who the fuck is stupid enough to buy quadro?

Any gaming machine is going to have better performance, get something like dual 980m's for the same price.
>>
>>518815
I am not that >>518500 Dude.
I just try to learn Houdini's Pyro solver. Unless you go full Michal Bay, a medium gaming card is still capable enough.
>>
>>518638
Processor specs? Or are you doing mostly GPU stuff? Of these, I would go Lenovo probably. Certainly not MBP. I would probably also look at the gaming laptops, as tacky as they are, they can perform. I have an older Asus zenbook and do a lot of 3dsmax, in retrospect I would have probably gone for something more spartan like the Lenovo. Work lappy is Lenovo and it's nice.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.