[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
T-pose vs. A-pose for rigging
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: 1455152151656.gif (2 MB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
1455152151656.gif
2 MB, 300x169
Discuss.
>>
No. We've had this discussion a hundred times. Just google it.
>>
t-pose is better because you can model armpits more accurately
>>
T-Pose because arms don't blend with other skin weights when rigging
>>
>>514592
T-pose if your character is supposed to move his/her arms above the shoulders, A-pose otherwise.
>>
>>514619
Hasn't someone made a way to combine both? You know, people already switch from FK to IK, could something be done to recognize, for example, the rotation of the shoulder and in base of that change the influence of the weights?
>>
>>514627
you can model in any pose. You can rig in any pose. You'll never be able to escape weight painting
>>
I prefer to have the arms straight down. Much better to use with reference for clothes.
>>
>>514628
What about Delta Mush? Isn't that a solution without painting weights manually.
>>
>>514671
No, Delta Mush is just a weight smoothing type of thing.
>>
>>514592
depends of the needs
generally (but not a rule)
>cartoony characters = T pose
>realisitc characters = A pose
>>
>>514627
>Hasn't someone made a way to combine both?

Wut, are you going to invent new angles?
>>
>>514627
It's not about weight influences, it's just that the armpits will stretch more when modeled in A-pose, and the shoulders will look meh in T-pose. You won't be able to avoid that, but you can choose the lesser evil depending on what you want to do with your character.
>>
>>515162
what the fuck? What kind of rigging rock are you living under?
>>
>>515164
So teach me how to get rid of armpit textures stretching and shitty shoulder behaviour.
>>
>>515165
what's your target plat?
>>
File: 1340372401315.jpg (23 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1340372401315.jpg
23 KB, 250x250
>Not doing S pose
>>
Does anyone here actually rig?

T pose so your wrist controls are aligned with the world axis. This helps avoid gimbal locking issues when animating, as well as the aforementioned armpit stretching issues.

No matter what pose you pick, shoulder/armpit area is going to need some special attention. Careful weight painting and clavicle controls can help with arm above shoulder poses on most models. Get over it.

Whenever I'm given a model in A pose, I weight the skeleton and then put it into a T pose before rigging it up. Modelers prefer A pose (usually with slightly curled fingers) because it looks pretty and leave riggers to clean up their mess. Rigging in A pose makes about as much sense as rigging in Y pose.

If you really want to nail the shoulders, you're going to have to suck it up and learn blend-shapes, morph targets, whatever you want to call them.

Weight painting is an essential part to rigging. Tools that automatically weight it for you are good to start, but you'll have to manually clean them up if you don't want to do a shit job.
>>
>>515180
Let's pretend it's for a video game.
>>
>>515238
>Rigging in A pose makes about as much sense as rigging in Y pose.
t. "why do all my shoulder armors look like shit"
>>
>>515245
what PLATFORM m9? Ios? PC? Android?
>>
>>515246
Sounds like a problem with your rigging' faggot
>>
>>515247
PC.
>>
>>515248
That's rich coming from the guy who's bitching about gimbal lock when there are quaternions. Stay mad about your deficient 3D skills.
>>
>>515251
if your target plat is PC you have no excuse to not being able to rig in any pose and get gud results. Lrn2rig noob
>>
>>515238
i rig at a decent level and I don't see what's such a big deal with A pose that you need to go through all this...generally speaking i prefer T pose too but if i'm provided a model in A pose i'll rig it as it is and it'll work just fine
>>
>>515253
I asked for topology and rigging pictures, faggot, and until you deliver I'm just gonna call you out on being a troll so retarded he tries to bait on the slowest board on 4chan.
>>
File: whatafag.png (134 KB, 504x360) Image search: [Google]
whatafag.png
134 KB, 504x360
>>515252
>quaternions
>>
>>515257
see >>515255 kid
>>
>>515142
I would like to propose we all start using H pose.
>>
>>515578
H like Hentai-Pose?
>>
>>514595
>>514605
>>514619
>>515238

In my mind anyone who says T-pose is better than A-pose is outed as a 3rd rate artist, you may think you're a rigger but you are weak and do not comprehend your craft.
If we imagine a gradient from white to black where a real rigger is dark as the night, you are a very soft shade of gray if you think 'T-pose > A-pose'.

You might as well go play with poser, because that is what you are. You just fronting you're riggers, The DAZ is plenty good enough for you mah make belief riggha.
>>
>>515602
again, it's all about your needs. Saying one is better than the other in 100% of the cases is as dumb as advocating for the same topology on every character regardless of their design
>>
>>516641
Most people who advocate the T-pose just don't understand how you can't raise your arm above your head without engaging your clavicle and scapula.
They do all their shoulder animation naively from a single ball joint fixed to the upper torso, or in the case of having a clavicle/scapula representation - engages it faulty.

Modelling your character in a T-pose makes it extremely hard to predict what the shoulder will look like relaxed as you've built your gemoetry to depict maximum elevation of the shoulder.
>>
>>516645
This guy's right. You take the maximum range that your arms could move. Your upper arm stops at around 45 degrees if you try to reach up as far as you can. take that 45 degrees and average it out to your lowest arm point and you get the A pose. This is the only pose that makes sense.

Taking that logic further, it might even be a good idea to move the upper arms slightly toward the chest to provide even more natural deforms.
>>
>>516641

In the T-Pose they all look like they're waiting for death to come take them.

Allahu Akbar! Allahu Akbar!
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.