[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey /3/ i been learning how to hand paint textures for the past
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 11
File: MUHHANDPAYNT.jpg (230 KB, 2234x955) Image search: [Google]
MUHHANDPAYNT.jpg
230 KB, 2234x955
hey /3/ i been learning how to hand paint textures for the past 2-3 days and just wanted to get your opinion on how im doing and how else can i improve.

before this i didnt know shit about how lighting works and how shadows work...

heres something i painted today...
>>
its great
>>
I dig it
>>
>>513250
That's fook'n great mate. Show us some more.
>>
File: bcef19387b[1].jpg (153 KB, 1116x787) Image search: [Google]
bcef19387b[1].jpg
153 KB, 1116x787
>>513257
i dont really have any more. i started this 2 days ago... i can try to texture something else later. got any suggestions?

also. if any of you are interested in learning how to paint like this i can tell you the names on the 2 tutorials i watched that got me to this stage in basically 1 day..

only other thing i have is this thing that i was practicing on last night
>>
>>513250
Maybe use a sharper brush with a texture. Tool marks on textures like this can be charming. Like being able to see the strokes from an actual paintbrush as if the 3d world is an illustration.

It does look really good too.
>>
>>513258
Sure, maybe some grass and rocks?
>>
Looks pretty neat OP! The thing I can say is that you might want to add some wear and tear (like generic scratches or dirt) to pump the interest of the texture a bit more.

But other than that, it's a pretty good start! Keep it up.
>>
>>513263
idk how to add dirt yet, i tried and failed once
>>
>>513269
Try and fail again until you don't fail. This is how you learn.
>>
File: 46b8a91dad[1].jpg (154 KB, 1311x869) Image search: [Google]
46b8a91dad[1].jpg
154 KB, 1311x869
>>513272
i just tried again and i think it looks good. i took a noisy alpha and samples the color of that region and spraid right on top. since the color is gradient, it added a dusty look too it
u can see it better on the blue side. i can sample a bit darker to make it more dusty looking
>>
File: 1405034364968.png (783 KB, 1000x1418) Image search: [Google]
1405034364968.png
783 KB, 1000x1418
>>513250
>>
>>513277
thats for highpolly -> lowpolly hand painted textures
some people like to just paint on a low poly model without modeling the hige res and baking shit up

p.s. wtf is a bent normal map?
>>
>>513277

The yellow channel from a world normal (Blue + Green) It creates an effect as if the model was illuminated from above.
>>
>>513258
Please do give the tutorials, this looks good
>>
I can never wrap my head around hand painting. Never know where to place lights and which edges to highlight.
>>
>>513289
Study the physics of light briefly and everything will be demystified in no time. How light diffuses and reflect isn't very hard to wrap your mind around once you've had it explained to you.

All you need to be aware of is the angle to the lightsource and the normal of the surface to figure out what catches a highlight and where.
Edges and transition zones catches highlights very easily because they are always rounded to some degree IRL.
So that some angle is always a reflection of the line going from your eye to the surface and from there to the light source.
>>
>>513287
>>513289

the 2 tutorials are.

1. Gumroad - Texture Tutorial - Painting Metal with Form

2. Gumroad - Texture Tutorial - Hand Painting a Sci-Fi Rifle

they're both on cgpeers and they're both 5 hours long. i highly suggest you take the model provided in the files and paint along as he paints. thats how i went from 0 to >>513250
in 1-2 days... pay attention to all the steps
>>
i'm trying to learn how to hand pant as well, wood is giving me a hard time.
>>
>>513335
not sure if pun or...
>>
>>513313
You did two 5 hour tutorials in one day? That's pretty hardcore considering you'd have to pause occasionally to catch up and shit
>>
>>513357
i only watched and followed along the rifle one.
the sci-fy eagle one i just skimmed threw and just took mental notes on how he paints
>>
>>513296
>>513313

Thank you, will check them out.
>>
File: 43e4a263a3[1].jpg (84 KB, 1041x831) Image search: [Google]
43e4a263a3[1].jpg
84 KB, 1041x831
>>513283
i just pulled the yellow channel (green + blue) from a normal map its all blue and i dont know how to use it as a light map. when i saturated it. the effect goes away
>>
>>514039
you are really dense. if you can't figure out something easy as this for yourself than i see no future for you as an 3D artist (or any artist).
Use you brain, the answer is in front of you.
>>
>>514039
I'm just glancing at this topic but it looks like what they're saying is you take the green and blue channels of a normal map, as stand-alone monochrome images, and add them together to get a new monochrome image. If you're familiar with photoshop or many other image manipulation programs you should be at least faintly aware that the individual R, G, and B channels of an image can be represented by black and white images.
>>
>>514039
>>514326
World space not tangent, you retards.
>>
>>514039

World space normal, not object normal. Pull the yellow channel and then make it a greyscale.
>>
>>514395
>rgb - red, green, blue
You mean the green (Y) channel
>>
>>514051
>>514326
>>514394
>>514395
>>514403

can somebody give a real fucking answer already.

im trying this shit too and im confused as well

1. i got the bent normal map from Xnormal
2. pulling the green and blue channel out into 2 new layers
3. ?????????????

wtf is the next step? do i overlay it or multiply it or am i doing this shit all wrong
>>
>>514583
Take only the green channel of your world space normal map. If your model is oriented properly xyz world coordinates correspond to rgb channels, fuck even the transform handles are usually color coded like that.

In the green channel, white is up facing normals, black is down.
>>
>>513277
does anyone know if games like LoL, Dota, WoW use this method for their hand painted assets/characters or do they just make a low poly and go in and paint it by hand.

i tried this method a few times and the renders always come out with problems so i just gave up on making high poly and than baking out and started painting by hand
>>
>>513250

Can you post your UV? I've always got issues avoiding seams on corners of three or more faces.
>>
File: 05232e79fe[1].jpg (130 KB, 1479x835) Image search: [Google]
05232e79fe[1].jpg
130 KB, 1479x835
OP here, just painted another item (idk why i keep painting golden items but w/e)
any thoughts on this 1
(yes its that hammer thing from WOW MOP splash screen

>>514711
i paint in 3d coat. so i have no problem with seams since u paint directly on the object
>>
>>514716
your bad at this
>>
>>514718
:(
>>
>>514719
:^)
>>
>>514716
gold has a nice color to it.
>>
anybody know how to set up a flat color render in marmoset? or what is the best place to render hand painted textures?
i dont like how marmoset lighting messes with the texture. when i turn it off. shit goes black. anyway to make it shaded mode?
>>
>>513250
leagueoflegends/10
>>
I can't wrap my head around how people draw textures. I ripped this arm texture from a video game and I want to learn the how they composed this exactly.

From the modeling and setting up a UV for a texture point of view, I know how to do that decently enough. I just don't get how this person drew this unraveled detailed arm.
>>
>>514746
well... it might be done using this method >>513277

where you sculpt a high res arm tan bake out an ambient occlusion, bent normal map and rip the lighting out to create.

or you just paint it with hand... and he probably didn't paint it straight on the UV in Photoshop. he probably used software that allows you to paint on the model itself like 3D coat...

if u want i can give light ripping of an arm a try for you
>>
>>514746
is this the type of result you're looking for?
sorry for the bad uvs
>>
File: d25e030d4a[1].jpg (89 KB, 872x839) Image search: [Google]
d25e030d4a[1].jpg
89 KB, 872x839
>>514749
>>514746
>>
>>514652

Old WoW used hand painted models. Current Wow models are high rez sculpts backed to a low rez cage and then hand painted using the bake as a guide.
>>
>>514583

Take a world space normal for your object. Load it into photoshop. Go to the channels tab. Delete the red channel. Now you have just the blue and green channels which make yellow. Convert the image to greyscale. Now you have the figure and it looks like it is illuminated from overhead. Use this as a guide for painting the lighting. or flat paint the diff map and then use it as a multiply layer. I usually just use it as a guide.
>>
>>514750
WAT
>>
>>514795
do you just copy paste the yellow or the newly created magenta? also it wont let me convert it into grayscale,
>>
File: How I paint textures.jpg (1 MB, 2968x2565) Image search: [Google]
How I paint textures.jpg
1 MB, 2968x2565
Here's how I do it. I don't use the Yellow layer unless something is being lit from the front. But from a more typical overhead type lighting I use the red layer from the object normal and the green layer from the world normal.

Just copy those channels in photoshop, then while all the channels are visible start deleting the channels that aren't the copy (for some reason my version of photoshop fucks up if I delete a channel when it's not visible).

Then I put the green channel from the world normal as a layer on top of the red channel from the object normal, set it to "soft light" at 100% and it gives a detailed greyscale texture of the object that works pretty well as a guide for painting a texture.
>>
>>514750
>>514821
A render of the actual models, please?
Bonus kudos if it´s an animation.
>>
>>514842

I haven't finished the model or rigged it yet.
>>
File: Untitled-964.jpg (166 KB, 1708x1078) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-964.jpg
166 KB, 1708x1078
>>514821
Why are you mixing the green and red channels together? The information in the red channel is trash, see pic.
>>
>>514901

Because it gives me a better guide for detailing the figure as if it was lit from above and to the side.
>>
>>514903
This is where an ambient occlusion texture would be best. The light from the red channel is biased toward one side.
>>
>>514905

Yes but it gives a very fine detail line. It's just a reference for me to use when I hand paint. It doesn't get used in the final texture.
>>
I know jack shit about modeling and texturing, but the flat one looks so much nicer imo. I always run games at the lowest model and texture settings possible because flat, low poly models look so fucking good.
>>
File: chest.jpg (28 KB, 629x598) Image search: [Google]
chest.jpg
28 KB, 629x598
eh, i'm pretty bad at this hand painted stuff too. thanks for the links to those tutorials
>>
>>514750
>those bakes
>>
>>514051
wow you faggots are antagonistic, i suppose 3d models are super serious and important though so it makes sense
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.