[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Blender Questions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 57
File: Blender Logo.png (36 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
Blender Logo.png
36 KB, 1080x1080
Since there's so many threads asking Blender questions.
>>
To start off, if I'm using shape keys to change the length of body parts that have associated bones, is there a way I can avoid having to manually adjust the bones to match the new body?

Alternatively, can I just solve this by making the body match the bones instead?
>>
>>512461
Yeah but they are all the same Question,

"Whats a good Tutorial?"

So you should have put a series of tutorials for beginner and intermediate users.
>>
>>512463
To be honest I'd say that the Blender Reference Manual has come a long way in terms of quality.
Very high quality information.
It's been so long since I started Blender though that I've forgotten what a beginner would want to know.
>>
>>512462
Yes, drive the position of the bone via the shape key.

Yes, scale the bone.
>>
>>512461
Will blender really look bad on my resume?
>>
>>512463
borncg
oliver villar
darine lile

for me those 3 are the golden standard in anything blender related.

if you want really in depth advanced stuff that are possibly related to simulations and rendering see cg geek or blender guru
>>
>>512508
That answer is completely and utterly useless.
>>
>>512511
The problem is that Blender has seen very little use in top-of-the-line projects, even though it's entirely capable.
Cosmos Laundromat is probably the highest quality film produced in Blender, and important to note was that it was produced entirely in Blender, but WETA which dominates the film quality competition uses a variety of software with stuff like Zbrush being a mainstay.
Dunno what Pixar and Dreamworks use, but I'd say the style of Cosmos Laundromat is like the styles of the two mixed together then made slightly higher detail.
But I think the problem is that Blender has no reputation of high-end usage, though you could show them the official Blender films like the one I mentioned to demonstrate that you can potentially do high quality Blender work.
>>
>>512527

One of the problems with Blender for high-end pipelines is its license. High end studios often create specialized software and addons for their pipeline. Because of the Blender license, anything they create for it would have to be released to the community. Some studios could conceivably avoid that just because it would give insights into how they do things in house, and they don't want to share that with their competitors. More likely though is that releasing it to the public would mean they spent their money to develop a tool and then had to give it away to everyone. They would be essentially giving their money away, or at the very least, they would literally be developing those tools for their competitors to pick up and use.

Another problem with it is Blender's notoriously bad file interchange with other applications. It only just got a working FBX binary I/O, and it doesn't support Alembic, which until recently made it pretty useless downstream from the application used to create animations that are to be rendered. Lastly, it's NURBS support is laughable, and a lot of stuff for movies is done with NURBS. If those assets have to go through Blender, you have to bake all that NURBS stuff to polygonal meshes before taking it to Blender. In the case of things like wires, hoses, robotic tentacles, etc, that means you would have to rig those things to recapture the movement/deformation functionality you already had with NURBS. That takes time (which would not have had to be spent if you had stayed with NURBS), and time quite literally is money in professional production.

I'm sure there are other things, but those are the two biggies that I know about.

Also, Z-up? Really? At least code in the ability to swap that shit.
>>
>>512461
I just wanted to leave this here.
Taught me a lot about what art really is.
https://youtu.be/d6JpGyvFot0
>>
>>512528
Content made with or for Blender isn't GPL'd by default which also includes the addons made for it (and hence why you'll see addons that cost money). The only time GPL licensing comes up is if you're publicly releasing another build based on Blender using it's code.

File import/export is pretty bad I'll give you that. Collada .DAE always seems to have something broken about it. Proper FBX support was recent addition and it's still not perfect. Alembic, OpenVDB, and whatever new format the industry comes up with this week is taking forever to get into Blender. The only reliable I/O format is .OBJ and that might have been okay in 1994 but not today what with all these features pipelines need.

P.S. Z-up is superior.
>>
>>512462
Anyone able to answer this?
>>
>>512462
I'm only aware of the opposite effect. You can reposition the body to reflect new positions on the bones. Doing what you're describing seems pretty ads backwards to me
>>
On the topic of blender on a resume, I kind of assume I'd be moving over to whichever software they use, is it difficult to move between different softwares? And since I suppose there's more dedicated programs for individual aspects you could be more specific, like is it difficult to move from Cycles to high end renderers, or is it difficult to move to other animation software, etc.
>>
>>512568
It's more difficult to move from one render engine to another, than to move from one modelling program to another. As for animation, it's the same shit, literally, with different extra features on some software. For example modo has dynamic parenting for animation, which makes unparenting objects a fucking one click job, rather than blender where you need to clear parent+keep transformation, then reparent, etc.
>>
>>512560
Do you mean that if I change the shape of the skeleton I can make the body match?
>>
>>512588
Ye
>>
>>512593
But how?
>>
>>512571
Much appreciated
>>
How the hell do I import an exported OBJ sequence back into the scene with every mesh file getting assigned per frame?

There was a script but with a minor version increase it got broken so the dev removed it completely.

This is driving me nuts. Why are Blender's devs so careless about the plugins the community develops? Why does shit have to constantly break and ruin good community created features?
>>
>>512461
How should I export my animations if I don't want them to look like shit when I import them into UE4?
>>
>>512527
Pixar uses their own proprietary stuff, I forgot the name but it's a one-word program.
>>
File: 13350928.jpg (872 KB, 1000x1047) Image search: [Google]
13350928.jpg
872 KB, 1000x1047
For anyone who wants it, https://mega.nz/#F!tpdjlI4Z!B3VeMucR89HceLrwodWMlA
I uploaded:
Blender Contours Plugin
Blender Polystrips Plugin
Blender Hardops Plugin
>>
>>513329
why?
https://github.com/mx1001/HOps/blob/master/__init__.py
and
https://github.com/CGCookie/retopoflow
>>
>>512523
Yeah, I'm not gonna hold your fucking hand, babby. I gave you the answer. Fucking Google how to do those things.
>>
>>513334
Also, as one of the other posters mentioned, it sounds like what you are doing is probably retarded anyway. You are probably doing something very wrong.
>>
>>513218
>There was a script but with a minor version increase it got broken so the dev removed it completely.
Uhhh... Use the old version for this one thing. Problem solved?

>Why are Blender's devs so careless about the plugins the community develops?
I don't know, man. This has really been on my mind lately too. It really seems the Blender Foundation/Institute whichever is completely oblivious of third party developers and not at all interested in anything outside of their own little circle of devs. Add-on creations, even ones that are doing massive-scale shit that even the Blender devs themselves have proposed to do at a later date, appear to be completely off their radar. Meanwhile the jews at CG Cookie are actively pursuing developers to create paid content for Blender, even going so far as to ask developers who are already creating free content to start selling that same content.

This is an increasingly worrisome state that Blender development is currently in.
>>
>>513218
Which addon and how did it break? What is the error message? Did you tell the dev? Did you post on the forums about it? There are plenty of things you can do outside just crying about it.
>>
>>512461
How do you convert Specular Hardness (Specular Exponent) to Cycles Roughness? I'm messing around with Blender + UE4 to get the desired effect.
>>
>>513348
here you go: http://www.clement-foucault.com/downloads/Blender_PBR_branch_v0.2.1_test_file.blend

It has a UE4 node that works and looks great with Cycles.
>>
>>513349
a hero greater than google
>>
File: dota_masks_to_UE4.png (195 KB, 955x597) Image search: [Google]
dota_masks_to_UE4.png
195 KB, 955x597
Alright it isn't quite working yet. I've been able to guess my way to making pic related setup by following http://media.steampowered.com/apps/dota2/workshop/Dota2ShaderMaskGuide.pdf

The material looks weird as fuck though, it's like a mirror.

Also, here's what the constants are (supposed) to mean, extracted via .vmat files:

30 = Specularity Exponent
3 = Specularity Intensity
>>
File: luna_is_wet.png (186 KB, 375x416) Image search: [Google]
luna_is_wet.png
186 KB, 375x416
>>513353
Here's an example of how it's fucked up.
>>
File: wat.jpg (279 KB, 735x653) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
279 KB, 735x653
>>512461
I have moved from cinema 4d to blender. Any tips for getting used to interface?
>>
Is there a way to import an .obj in to the cycles renderer and have it keep its textures? Doesn't seem like there is.
>>
>>513738

Just think of it this way: Every window/tab in the user interface is exactly the same as the other window, it is just in a different mode. Every window can be changed to do everything else (bottom left corner, there you can change to 3d view, keyframe, node editor, UV editing etc.)
>>
>>513821
i think .blend1 files save metadata+textures
>>
>>513821
Cycles uses node-based materials and the importer is likely not clever enough to create a node setup.
>>
>>513821
.obj files only support mesh data in blender
so using a .obj and keeping the textures is as far as i know not directly possible.
>>
>>513738
Learn what data in what panel gets where. For example, NLE data cannot get to the Node compositor. 3d View data can get into the NLE sequencer and the Node compositor. It's really about learning the behind the scenes hierarchy because the panels don't tell it.
>>
>>513829
>>513833
>>513841

Cheers, it looks like you have to assign them manually. The add ons to convert blender render to cycles are all out of date it seems.
>>
Does anyone have any tutorials or books or such on using luxrender in depth? I mean, you can find random specific youtube vids, articles, or blog/forum posts on it but I can't really find any in depth so I can learn how to do as much as I can on my own instead of sifting through google searches for each thing I want to do and learn.

Is it even worth learning how to use luxrender over cycles? Because there are lots of cycles tutorials. I just want better renders and learn how to do so.
>>
>>513829
???
Blend1/2/3/etc. files are just backups, they should not do anything differently.
>>
What's up with NLA strips?

I keyframed a check mark property and pushed it down to two objects. I then offset the strip on one of the objects by 10 frames however that doesn't make a difference. The animation plays as if there is no offset.

Is there something I don't understand in this confusing system? It seems to work fine with number properties.
>>
>>514011
I don't exactly understand what you're saying, but the influencing strip should be on a higher layer than the influnced one, also they need to be blended. You need to put auto-blending on the two strips you want to blend.
>>
>>514043
No, you're getting it wrong. I have TWO OBJECTS with the same animation as strips. One of the objects has the strip offset by 10 frames, so it should start playing back the keyframes after the offset. However that doesn't happen and the strip gets playbacked as if it wasn't offset.
>>
>>514080
>>514043
>>514011

Ok I don't know what was happening, but it seems to be working correctly now.
>>
If I have an array or otherwise, how do I apply an image texture to all of them as a whole despite being separate?
>>
File: kriss_vector_in_action.gif (182 KB, 480x210) Image search: [Google]
kriss_vector_in_action.gif
182 KB, 480x210
Is blender capable of making assemblies similar to gif related? and can it export that project (maintaining dimensions and part independence) to SW or a CAM software? I'm not very educated on the /3/related filetypes and associations yet
>>
>>514113

You could make an animation like this in Blender yes.

Question is if it's any useful for you. Blender is not a CAD software and doesn't have such capabilities. I don't know what's the file output from CAD softwares but I am sure it's very different from regular 3d meshes. I doubt mesh modeling is any usefull for milling.
>>
>>514116
damn, that doesn't sound very useful to me at all =\
modelling mechanical prototypes is my goal, for this, I know SW or a CAM suite is what I need, for actual production, but if I can start on the approximate dimensions and test the basic mechanical operation of my project with blender, it would save me quite a bit of money, initially.
>>
>>514113
Blender is not a CAD. Never was. Never will be. You can try to use it as one, but it was never designed for it.
>>
>>514099
i dunno what you mean, but maybe projection mapping. if you dont need to anim8 the array then press alt-c and convert to mesh
>>
>>514113
It might be, but it doesn't matter, you're better off doing it in cad. You can animate it in blender, though.
>>
>>514119
You can't test mechanical parts, machines or physics with blender or any 3d MODELLING software for that matter. You must be retarded to think that any of those artistic programs can test the things cad programs like Inventor, SW or simulation programs can do.
3d modelling programs can't do assemblies at all, neither can they test physics. You can't even test proper mechanical interaction with them and you showed a pistol, which has explosions and gas flow to it as well as springs. If you don't want to invest in any professional cad software, you can pirate it, although I wouldn't advise to do it if you have a company. If you're a hobbyist you can pirate it, nobody would care, if you develop a product and start selling it you can buy it then. Why do you think cracking those softwares is so damn easy, they haven't changed their protection for years? Cause companies want people to learn their software, not the competition's.
>>
Is there any option to automatically select the corresponding object when selecting an animation strip it has?

The default way is very confusing.
>>
are there any reasons not to kill myself
>>
File: excavator.jpg (268 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
excavator.jpg
268 KB, 1600x900
anyone help?

basically im trying to animate this excavator.

I can animate one arm but when i select two arms(objects) then change the pivot point (the origin) the other arm also changes position

how can i change the objects pivot (origins) without running into problems?
>>
File: armature.png (105 KB, 878x610) Image search: [Google]
armature.png
105 KB, 878x610
>>514479

You make an armature/rig just with an bipedal rig.
>>
>>514480
shit man im new to this and i think i need to read more

thanks anon
>>
sup anons

i have multiple objects that i grouped together with ctrl-g

when i rotate it, it rotates fine but when i try to move the animation bar everything breaks

help?
>>
>>512461
What's the best way to texture a person? Or any 3d model?
>>
>>514504
Blender cycles does have a facility for overlaying a textures ans stenciling it on to the model but I have found it rather fiddly and hard to work with. I suggest you switch to Blender internal and use projection paint (you can't do it in cycles) to create your textured UV.

This video is helpful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZDMFkj8GqA
>>
New to Blender/modeling I guess.

Let's say I have body mesh that's already made. How can I mirror edit? For example, if I make changes to one leg, it'll automatically get applied to the right.

I thought the mirror modifier only worked if the mesh wasn't already combined yet. Would I have to split it in half first, then use the mirror modifier?
>>
>>513354

Roughness up, spec down
>>
>>514677
This thread is for specific questions that you can't simply find in google, you lazy nigger.
>>
>>513331

The first link don't work so well, boss.
>>
ive been looking for a video tutorial for sculpting something from scratch
anybody ever seen anything like that
>>
What are some keyfeatures in Blender that you are currently missing or are unusable at the time?
>>
File: oKVeyZkH.png (144 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
oKVeyZkH.png
144 KB, 400x400
>get Blender
>kill yourself

stop using this shit program.
Maya can you get for free on their Page ,if you register as a student.
>>
File: 2d0971ea0557e8fb485d64de05262e13.jpg (500 KB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
2d0971ea0557e8fb485d64de05262e13.jpg
500 KB, 2560x1600
how do you generate soil in blender?

i tried googling it but the thread was filled with epic memes
>>
Help, I have a blender file, don't know what I did but when I try to export things other than the layer1, it just acts as the object doesn't exist...
If for example i move the object from layer2 to layer1, it exports just fine.
If i try to export from any other layer, it won't work. What am I doing wrong?!
My other blend files are fine
>>
>>515039
By export you mean do a render or actually export the blend file to another format (say obj)?
>>
>>515031
different soils are created differently, can you show us a picture?
>>
>>515161
exporting anything from the scene, to OBJ, dae, etc. it exports only if they are on layer 1. otherwise I get an empty obj file
>>
>>515031
Find a soil on cgtextures, then go learn the fucking fundamentals of 3D you useless shitposter.
>>
Question:

Let's say i'm scultping a high poly character, could i sculpt individual body parts, and then retopo it all to one low poly mesh? I find it easier to sculpt individual pieces.
>>
How do i grab something on the inside of a mesh ?
>>
>>515434
hide that mesh and grab whatever was inside.
>>
>>515348
Sure, as long as you find a way of hiding the seams between the body parts so that they don't show up in the final textures. And join every body part into one object for the bake.
>>
>>515436
how so im having trouble at 7:47
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbc3KMIOuKM
>>
Question:

Please tell me any Addon/plugin or program, where I can paint textures with more tools, because I don't like default one.
>>
File: 2itsahl.jpg (741 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
2itsahl.jpg
741 KB, 1366x768
how to fuck with blender
>>
>>515453
He pressed z to go to wireframe view and selected the vertices he wanted to move with loop selection (alt+select an edge, even if you're not on edge selection mode) and then box selection (B).
>>
>>512637
Use more shape keys, scale the bones in question then use prop. editing to make them look thinner.
>>
In blender internal I need to make an equirectangular texture. Doing it with the camera gives no distortion along the top and bottom. Baking gives the distortion but also reflects the sky in the background. Is there a way to mask out the sky when baking it into a texture?
>>
File: hwy0000-0030.webmhd.webm (134 KB, 1080x606) Image search: [Google]
hwy0000-0030.webmhd.webm
134 KB, 1080x606
I have a quick question about rendering out animations.
I'm working on a little loopable webm/gif, and I'd like the final to be 60fps.

Would it be better to render out at 60fps as I've done in this webm? Or to do it at something like 24 and interpolate?

I don't really have the best pc to render out a shit ton of frames, so the 24 fps seems like the better option.
I just don't really know if the interpolated version will look all that great.
>>
>>515628
Avoid interpolation if you can, but if you absolutely have to use it consider rendering halfway between 24 and 60 fps, maybe around 45, then interpolate up to 60 from there. The nice thing about Blender's playback speed is that it's fully scalable.
>>
>>515629
Thanks for the advice.

One other question, do you know if geometry outside the render/camera gets factored into the rendering of the whole scene?

Right now I'm working the animation through the internal renderer, but I'm moving it to cycles to finish up the materials and lighting after I get everything done.

I imagine if extra geometry factors into a cycles render, it'd would increase the time to render a frame way more than it needs to.
So I'd like to optimize the scene best I can.
>>
>>515630
Only geometry/light sources within the camera's draw distance and fustrum get rendered, and if you're having problems with render times try checking out the 'simplify' menu under Scene settings, I think it was. It lets you globally adjust the number of light bounces and mesh subdivision to cut down render times.

For test renders, I find the best thing to do is to turn off raytracing altogether unless I specifically need it.
>>
File: tes.jpg (1 MB, 3360x1920) Image search: [Google]
tes.jpg
1 MB, 3360x1920
>>515630
>One other question, do you know if geometry outside the render/camera gets factored into the rendering of the whole scene?
Yes, both for building the bvh and reflections/light bounces depending on the objects outside of camera view.

>I imagine if extra geometry factors into a cycles render, it'd would increase the time to render a frame way more than it needs to.
Yep. If you have geometry out of the camera view it would be used both during building the bvh and when rendering, although not a big impact, it would certainly impact your rendering times.

Pic related, difference is what 5 seconds, but on more complex scenes, it's gonna be larger.
>inb4 its different resolutions
no its not.
>>
File: Capture.png (536 KB, 1898x1047) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
536 KB, 1898x1047
Simple noob question here.
How do I set a transparent texture in Blender 2.47? I'm looking at the documentation, but it looks outdated and I can't find any of the options it mentions.
>>
>>515688
Use auto-calc alpha for the gray parts. For the leaves, adjust the texture brightness.
>>
How do I attach a cloth simulation to a mesh/object?

What I want to do is have a short scarf billowing in the wind like pic related.
I have the neck modeled with the scarf piece that goes around it with the knot. I just don't know how to get a plane cloth simulation to attach.
>>
>>515795
I haven't tried it, but I assume you pin vertices, and then use the hook modifier to make it follow whatever you need.
Someone more qualified could probably help out more.
>>
I see when people make low poly hair they sometimes just use simple flat plane of polygons and texture on them, but how do they texture and make the other side of the polygon visible?

ive seen some say they duplicate and flip the surface but is there a better way?
>>
>>515795
select the vertices you want static in edit mode
add them to a vertex group
in the cloth simulation tab, in the pinning select the group and in the collision settings select self collision
>>
>>515688
Did you mean 2.74?
>>
>>515795
vertexgroup create could be a start
>>
Hey, how can I progressively make appear cracks/fissures on a plane? I tried the cell fracture, wich looks ok, but I can't find a way to animate it so it looks natural...
>>
>>515819
They are disabling backface culling under the material settings in blender. All software other should give you the option of disabling backface culling as well.
>>
File: screen.png (143 KB, 936x1161) Image search: [Google]
screen.png
143 KB, 936x1161
I have bunch of duplicate objects (see pic related) is there any way to make a change to one of them that would affect all of them?
>>
>>516997
Cell fracture is done by using Voronoi disgrams, which only work if all the cracks appear at the same time, there's no straight-forward way to animate that. You'd have to check out the physics features for that.
>>
>>517118
Ctrl+L

Select 'Materials'
>>
>>514119
look into FreeCAD for free CAD software
theres an addon to make it dimension drawings parametrically; as well as an "assembly2" addon
>>
>>515016
ok Autodesk :^)
>>
Are there any best practices as to where to put the seams when unwrapping a human model?
>>
>>517253
where they wont be seen + divide the mesh sensibly
>>
File: Why.jpg (681 KB, 1680x1748) Image search: [Google]
Why.jpg
681 KB, 1680x1748
Using blender and unity. I'm just hobbying around.
I created a model. Baked ambient and normal maps and looked at my model in unity. Shit was fine. Then I rigged him (poorly), but when I did that I noticed I have a few double edges on the face that would split open when deformed. Fuck.

I deleted those edges and remade the faces. It looks fine in blender. My normals all point the right way. The faces are uv mapped correctly. However, those faces do not show up in Unity anymore.

Completely at a loss for what else could cause this.
>>
>>517310
Google says this:
>Unity 3D only supports points that are moved by vertex groups, so if you have points that aren't part of any vertex group and are controlled by an envelope only, they'll disappear when imported to Unity.
>>
>>517311
Thanks, but that wasn't what it was. Somehow, my dumb ass had a bunch of stacked verts creating Ngons that looked like quads.
>>
Pay for my little sister's medical bill.
>>
File: pain.png (30 KB, 438x672) Image search: [Google]
pain.png
30 KB, 438x672
First time character modeling.

Few questions.
I accidentally applied Mirror and still would like to edit. But it doesn't let me ctrlZ it. Is there a way I can put back on mirror.

Is there something you guys would strongly suggest me do for character model to make my life simple in the future. (for rigging) Like something about the clothes or something.
>>
File: 1459319492626.jpg (160 KB, 1208x1080) Image search: [Google]
1459319492626.jpg
160 KB, 1208x1080
i'm through and through a maya user but the version i have is really old (2008). does blender have anything like decent retopologizing tools? are there any decent retopologizing plugins for maya 2008? i can't afford to upgrade my version of maya cause i can't get a student discount anymore
>>
>>517403
literally download blender since its free
>>
>>517403
There's a great retopo add-on for Blender but it's like 80 bucks.
>>
Hurr dur how do i use a texture

People who use blender are such beginners.
>>
>>513251
with Brave the current prog is Presto for animation but I think they use turn key software for modeling.

>>514479
lookup Inverse kinematics in relation to animation

>>517442
that's really blender's strength. I started using Blender before it was open source back in high school. It gave me an actual look at 3d basics without commiting to a then prohibitivly expensive software and specialized hardware. My feelings toward piracy is everyone will make up whatever reason to legitimize it in their head, so I always advocate OpSrc, and everyone thinks their first stuff is the greatest shit when it's really just garbage.
So Blender is great at introducing someone to the core concepts and has a lot of beginners. But once you start getting into the professional world it really comes down to compatibility. I can win races using a diesel car but if all i can find are parts dealer who only sell for unleaded gas what use is using a diesel car. I use Maya now and I don't really have to fiddle much with things. but honestly blender was a great stepping stone and though I can do pretty much the same quality of work in both Maya is just more supprted in the professional world and between software. This will always hold Blender back, and I think Bf knows this but can't do anything about it.
>>
>>517403
no , it's free it's here https://github.com/CGCookie/retopoflow u can also download http://igl.ethz.ch/projects/sketch-retopo/sketch-retopo-license.html or http://igl.ethz.ch/projects/instant-meshes/ and the addon 4 both https://github.com/VerbalTea/instantmesher
>>
>>517403
Iceking's tools is a pretty nice addon.
http://www.blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?343641-Iceking-s-Tools
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CMhDjgy2sE
>>
>>517402
Learn topology mate. wtf
>>
>>517310
are you sure your normals are pointing the correct way? have you tried recalculating them in blender?
>>
>>517402
iirc, ctrl+z has different stacks in edit mode and object mode. if you applied the modifier in edit mode, go into edito mode and ctrl+z. if you applied it in object mode, go into object mode and ctrl+z. if neither work, box select one half of the mesh (press b in edit mode, click and drag over the verts) and delete them, then select mirror modifier again. as for making rigging easier, look up retopology. you can accomplish it using blender's internal tools, or by using the retopo addon from cgcookie (really worth the money!)
>>
>>517789
I fixed the face area if thats what you were looking at, yea sorry. I was working on the head the nose area but then turned off mirror.

But yea, I deficiently need to work on topology. Thanks for the advice.

>>517797
Thanks, pretty helpful.
>>
File: circles.png (577 KB, 1267x739) Image search: [Google]
circles.png
577 KB, 1267x739
Wanted to sculpt a high poly model for a normal map. It looks geometry dense to me but Im new to this. Anyway I made circular strokes with different subtraction tools on various strengths and pixel size in sculpt mode, and they all look pretty terrible. I dont know if I'm missing something, or if I just need a better machine to handle more tri's. I get similarly bad results at another subdivision level, but its really laggy at that point and might just be input stuttering.
>>
>>517903
I really gotta try to spend more time working these out before asking. Apparently dynatopology is amazing.
>>
I am aiming for a visual style that looks similar to this

How would I go about achieving it? I don't know shit about 3DCG and am still just learning.
>>
File: 1555236-story[1].jpg (41 KB, 508x379) Image search: [Google]
1555236-story[1].jpg
41 KB, 508x379
>>517950
Oops, forgot the image
>>
>>517903
start at 500k buddy but make sure to have multiresolution, not subdivision (its basically the same thing but you can bake off the former)
>>
>>517950
that's 2D
>>
File: circles.png (360 KB, 863x537) Image search: [Google]
circles.png
360 KB, 863x537
>>517961
well it jumps from the 273k tris in the pic, up to over a million with one more multires subdivision.

This is where I'm getting with dynatopo, but I'm already past 800k tris. I wonder if I can bake normals in pieces.
>>
>>517971
If you need that amount of detail you either have to use textures and bump maps in Blender or Zbrush.
>>
>>517951
it's a 2D environment, the characters could be very low res low poly models.
>>517972
the idea is baking a normal map out of the detail. Maybe I can just bake what I have already, and copy and paste rings around my UV map.
>>
>>517971
does not make sense, i get pretty good detail with 400k sphere
maybe use a small brush, some spacing and see what you get
>>
>>517976
Im pretty sure the geometry just wasnt dense enough. the brushes in 273k pic are 10px, because anything lower just wouldn't register.
>>
>>517977
yeah maybe the quads are not even or something
wireframe?
>>
File: higherpoly.png (221 KB, 867x567) Image search: [Google]
higherpoly.png
221 KB, 867x567
>>517978
hang on, I'll have to recreate that.
here's 273k tris
>>
>>517979
that's the original? then you have another problem to worry about which is the UV's
lowpoly model shouldn't be more than 20k polygons, what you do is subdivide it then sculpt when you have enough quads
>>
>>517980
no that's 2 sets of multires subdivide getting ready for sculpting. the low poly is 17k tris.
>>
>>517981
why would you use 2?
>>
Anyone have any useful blender scripts? I found a few on github that saved my fucking life.
>>
>>517975
>>517969

Unless I'm missing something the environment is not 2D

https://youtu.be/hoW6nB6-0rI?t=2m48s
>>
>>517999
have you already looked through the (extremely long) list of blender add-ons in the add-on list in the user-preferences?

there is also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihrQU4LNtC0
>>
>>518084
I guess so, I reckon the same should apply, low poly models rendered down to 256 × 192 resolution for the DS. Then add planes with alpha channeled textures for stuff like the grass.
>>
File: rogi.png (34 KB, 813x650) Image search: [Google]
rogi.png
34 KB, 813x650
>>517402
Yoh, its me again. Fixed my topology-ish.
Still working it. Sorry if its pretty bad.
What is the best way to model the mouth or should I not worry about that just yet?
>>
>>518494
pretty much just extrude it as a tube curving downward into the neck, deep enough so you cant see the end when looking from outside. Then add a loop cut to it near the outside and scale it up mostly horizontally so your mouth cavity fits the cheeks, but the top and bottom are still close enough to add teeth. And if you want really simple teeth you could probably just extrude portions of your loop cut moved around to appropriate size for teeth. Or you could add them and a tongue as separate objects, same as you'd probably do for eyes.

If your goals are to animate at all, especially facial, I recommend looking around at facial topology. Generally want several loops around the eyes and mouth for better animation deformation.
>>
How many samples?

1000, 2000, 5000?
>>
>>518518
depending on the materials
>>
Is there a way to adjust my view so I can see my selected object more than unselected objects, but still be able to see the unselected objects? Like, less opacity, or a different color in wireframe mode. I'm trying to rig up a face, and trying to move facial bones around the wireframe of a face is a clusterfuck of black lines.
>>
>>518616
You can change the colors in the user prefs > themes.
>>
Was trying to setup a rigify
I got it all set into place, except for the ears because my character doesn't have any.

Apparently, don't just delete rigify bones, because it wont generate now.
>>
>>512461
>Trying to edit a separate piece in mesh mode
>Not working
Any suggestions?
>>
>>518803
Hit P > Seperate by loose parts
>>
>>518616
Limit Selection to Visible
>>
>>518804
Doesn't help. Can't seem to select another mesh when one has already been selected.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (46 KB, 659x471) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
46 KB, 659x471
Following a lighting and material tutorial and ended up with this nastiness

Can anyone diagnose what the disgusting static stuff is?
>>
>>518845
increase your sample value on the render settings
>>518826
for whatever reason thats not available if I have the rig selected. Apparently there's a separate x ray option for it anyway.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (20 KB, 237x283) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
20 KB, 237x283
>>518846
Bumped it up to 750 and it's the same issue.

I'm just messing around with kind of a crap laptop. Could it be the video card?
>>
File: yesiuseathemeshutup.png (48 KB, 318x537) Image search: [Google]
yesiuseathemeshutup.png
48 KB, 318x537
>>518848
In the render settings turn off both reflective and refractive caustics
>>
>>518856
This is almost certainly the answer.
The reason your caustics are coming out so ugly is because caustics require a disgusting amount of photons, even in Mentalray.
>>
Is there a way to use the same rig for multiple objects in blender?
Think an RPG game where you change shirt or something.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (18 KB, 588x335) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
18 KB, 588x335
>>518856
Thank you so much.
>>
>>518939
enjoy your no caustics
>>
>>518943
I'm just learning dude. I'm sure I'll figure that out once I get a few projects under my belt and can afford something better than this toaster

Caustics are like the beams of light you see on the ceiling of indoor swimming pools right?
>>
>>518950
Yes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R00IvqcI9jU
>>
File: cube hole blender.png (10 KB, 609x520) Image search: [Google]
cube hole blender.png
10 KB, 609x520
I tried to get back into Blender but when I tried to use the boolean modifier with difference to cut holes using other objects I don't really get all the edges I would want to. It leaves the object with n gons instead of making enough edges to make it into tris or quads. Am I missing something?
>>
>>519013
>Am I missing something?
Probably a few more subdivisions on the object.
>>
>>519014
I mean, is there a way to make the object into quads right away when you apply the boolean modifier instead of having to manually subdivide it afterwards?
>>
>>519015
I actually meant more SubDiv before the modifier is applied.

Having not used it on an object with so few vertices, I'm only guessing it's the problem here.
>>
File: cube hole blender2.png (11 KB, 642x568) Image search: [Google]
cube hole blender2.png
11 KB, 642x568
>>519016
Tried subdividing it once before the modifier, but it just does this. It doesn't seem like it's even trying to make quads.
>>
>>519017
>>519013
You have to clean up boolean work by yourself and quadrify it all by yourself too.
But this thing you're making can be achieved with inset and extrude in 2 seconds.
>>
>>519017
Quads seem important to you.

But on a simple object, with so few subdivisions I would be inclined to use a different technique. And that is to start with your 'Boolean shape' and extrude outwards from there.

If you want I can show you an example of something I did using this technique . . . .I'm off to the shops in a bit though to get some Sunday afternoon beer.
>>
>>518950
You shouldn't turn off caustics, it makes glass look like shit. You can't see it in your image because everything is really dark.
The best solution for that noise is playing around with clamping. It's that clamp direct and indirect settings right next to the samples, I usually set them to 2 or 3 but it depends on the scene.
>>
>>519020
>Quads seem important to you.
It's more that those single vertices that aren't connecting anywhere bother me.
>>
>>519019
>>519020
Oh and this cube was just an example because it was the fastest to do, I'd use extruding if I wanted to do this exact shape the easiest way.
>>
>>519030
So, it's more a question of aesthetics than practicability?
>>
>>519034
Partly, it also breaks the symmetry a bit when it only connects some vertices and not all. At least I think the topology would look nicer if it connected everything.
>>
File: backscattering.jpg (162 KB, 381x454) Image search: [Google]
backscattering.jpg
162 KB, 381x454
Does anyone have a tranclucent material for cycles that can do this back scattering?
>>
>>519047
I don't use blender but you're probably looking for subsurface scattering.
>>
Anyone got any strategies for texture painting details around UV seams? Wanting to apply a scaly texture over a character, but it looks terrible around the seams. Also tried painting certain regions of the character by separating them out by UV islands, but cutting out along quad filled topology either gives me jagged seams, or warped topology. I'm sure I'm being very dumb about all of this.
>>
>>519098
What you may have to do is make a copy of your texture (as backup) and use this as you go into texture paint to clone brush over the seams.
>>
I hate cycles node based shading system. What's a better alternative. Substance Painter 2?
>>
>>519221
try lux render
>>
Is Blender really as hard as it's made out to be? I want to start making stuff for Second Life, and Blender is sort of the standard due to programs like Avastar that help with rigging.
>>
>>519284
The learning curve can be steep in the beginning if you have no experience of modeling but when you figure out the basics it's easy.
>>
>>519285
I think I'll give it a try. If I don't like it, I'll just try Modo because it seems more simple to work with.
>>
>>519221
Substance painter is for making textures you can even use in cycles.
The fact that you asked this question means you don't know enough to like or dislike things.
>>
>>519292
cycles have no PBR support
yeah you can someone use PBR texture there but only after hooking up 20 different multiply nodes
>>
File: pbr nodes.png (45 KB, 511x422) Image search: [Google]
pbr nodes.png
45 KB, 511x422
>>519295
>20 different multiply nodes
Yep, you know nothing about cycles.
I use pbr on cycles constantly with a couple of node groups I learned how to make on a simple youtube tutorial.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlH00768JwqG4__RRtKACofTztc0Owys8
>>
>>519309
>in theory
yeah, its not the same thing as having a good system
>>
>>519310
>>in theory
What part of "I use pbr in cycles constantly" didn't you understand?
You only have to set up that shit once, then even a braindead retard like you can get photorealistic renders with minimal effort.
>>
File: mangled.png (59 KB, 571x580) Image search: [Google]
mangled.png
59 KB, 571x580
During the sculting bit, I ran in an issue where my junk got tangled and smoothing doesn't seem to work.
>>
File: Capture.png (99 KB, 921x766) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
99 KB, 921x766
>>519347
Apparently, I had a random edge, and a vertex.
I got rid of them. Did it fix it? No... In fact I think I made it worse.

Save my soul.
>>
>>519295
>not understanding nodes
>not understanding why node based systems are preferred

you not gonna make it bruh
>>
File: Shot32.jpg (368 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Shot32.jpg
368 KB, 1280x720
>>519354
newfag detected
>>
>>519355
> I'm too retarded for nodes
sad...
>>
File: 1449768870908.png (365 KB, 486x640) Image search: [Google]
1449768870908.png
365 KB, 486x640
>>519349
Now you know why most people use zbrush
>>
>>519383
Ah the obligatory ZBrush shill, turns up in every thread.
>>
>>519383
So there is no fix?
Shitty.
>>
Can I hide vertices while weight painting? If yes, how do I do that?
>>
>>519433
Mask modifier, you gotta make a vertex group and select that in the modifier.
>>
File: 1453993031955.jpg (49 KB, 600x404) Image search: [Google]
1453993031955.jpg
49 KB, 600x404
>>519370
Argumentum ad nauseam
>>
>>519383
right but not all the way, the guy is just bad at making a base mesh to sculpt from
>>
>>519438
or you could switch to face masking mode (in the bottom bar) while in weight paint and just hide them rather than the complicated way
>>
>>519440
Yea, my base mesh was pretty shitty, but it was just the between the leg area.
I just retopo'd
>>
When weight painting, how do I remove weights from other groups? do I really have to go and clean each group individually?
>>
>>519466
You have to clean each group.
>>
>>519508
turns out there's an option to remove all weights in the arrow menu
>>
>>519441
You can't hide anything the regular way while in vertex or weight paint modes. I don't think you can even in sculpt mode.
>>
>>519517
yes you can. Again, in the bottom bar of the view in weight paint mode, there's buttons to turn on face or vertex selection, and then you can just hide them by pressing H.
>>
>>519391
can't tell exactly what you're doing, but maybe try the remesh modifier
>>
I cant figure out how to rig these eyes with the pitchipoy addon. Separate objects parented to the main body object, all of them parented to the rig. I've gone through the rig layers weight painting the eyes to various bones, but I've got nothing.
>>
Are there any tutorials on a full IK rig for 2.49?
>>
File: womanface.jpg (219 KB, 763x1344) Image search: [Google]
womanface.jpg
219 KB, 763x1344
Can anyone suggest a good retopology tutorial? I tried to base it on the facial muscle structure as many users do but it always comes out messed up. Tried polystrips not much success either.
>>
>>519587
post previous results
>>
>>519589
I didn't save any of them since they were botched, but my problems include artifacts at the most detailed parts like mouth,eye sockets, and the ears. Also at some parts like the cheekbones the edges stick out even I smooth or subsurf the object. My guess is that I don't connect the parts in-between correctly and I add too many loop cuts at some places that mess up the overall quality.
>>
>>519587
This should help:
>>517556
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP9WQpt4Ahk
>>
>>519622
I think I've stumbled on them at some point. But I'll study them thouroughly. Thank you.
>>
File: 3dmax324324234234.png (388 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
3dmax324324234234.png
388 KB, 1920x1080
>>
How would I go about recreating central park, to scale?

Well, actually, I have a bit of a dirty secret.

O would like to create it, to scale. With one exception. I would like to put a bit of feces in the southwest area of the park.

Yhank you.

Sorry my english isnt good.
>>
Why are you learning Blender?
Is there a point in learning 3d with Blender (instead of pirated programs that are standard in the industry like Maya), if you want to get a job?

Because of posts like >>512527 and >>512528 it looks like big companies don't care about Blender. So what's the point?
>>
>>519782
Google maps screengrab, and possibly thousands of reference photos of buildings, paths, benches, lamps, everything. Street View might help, idk if they have it in Central Park.
>>
>>519783
>Why are you learning Blender?
I guess it's okay to start with. I don't think the majority of people here asking for "Blender VS 3DsMax" are experienced. I know I'm not, and I'm starting 3D modelling as a hobby with Blender because there are some good tutorials for it and I'm not planning on turning that into a job.
>>
>>519783
if you can produce good work, no one gives a shit
BUT if you come accross a problem you would have to fix it yourself or find someone to write a script/fix the bug for you.
its not a big deal since blender is fairly stable
>>
File: 919.png (84 KB, 577x563) Image search: [Google]
919.png
84 KB, 577x563
Smoothing doesnt work on my object.
>>pic related
When I press smooth , it still looks like there are no shaders.
>>
>>519915
You've sharpened every edge.
>>
>>519918
The bug is that when i press mooth nothing happens, how do i make it smooth again
>>
>>519920
Select everything, press ctrl+e and select clear sharp.
It's not a bug, it's your own stupidity.
>>
>>519920
Un sharpen the edges you tard
>>
>>519925
K, fixed it
>>
anybody got a good weight painting tutorial?
>>
>>519931
basic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkT92aoMpP0

advanced:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3gIN4dJYw4
>>
>>512520
>borncg
>oliver villar
>darine lile

Darrin Lile really is great, isn't he?
>>
QUESTION here!
I made a Nurbs Curve, but I dont know how to make it a solid object.
I tried selecting the first and last vertice, then pressing f to close the curve, and then selecting all vertices and pressing f again. That didnt work.
How do you do that?
>>
>>520005
discombolator answer is likely addon model 3d
extrude-object-mode-convert-curve-to-mesh-extrude
>>
>>520013
nurbs why nurbs use curve
>>
>>520005
Convert to Mesh, tab, A, F

Unless you're trying to make a shape like a logo or something, in which case you go to the properties panel and adjust thickness and bevel

Or if you're trying to make like a vase or a boat or something made from a beginning, a line, and an end curve then that's called Lofting and you need to google it
>>
File: hurr.png (82 KB, 405x390) Image search: [Google]
hurr.png
82 KB, 405x390
For hair am I supposed to fill behind the pieces?
>>
File: tokyo.png (202 KB, 512x527) Image search: [Google]
tokyo.png
202 KB, 512x527
I want to make the light that the street reflects look better
>>
>>520028
Why are her eyes melting?
>>
File: rogi.png (60 KB, 222x181) Image search: [Google]
rogi.png
60 KB, 222x181
>>520107
I think what you're seeing are the under eye lashes.
>>
Any blenderfag ever had to go from blender to maya? Any tips on resources for learning that transition?
>>
>>519783
Because it's more of a hobby then a job. I'd only ever make still renders so it doesn't really make a difference on what I use.
Plus it was the first thing I ever used and I'd hate having to learn a new interface as I dislike change.

Question.
How do I git gud?
Like not a particular thing but everything.
I guess it would be better to say where is a good guide that cover as many things as possible. So far my skills are incredibly basic stuff I learned from a few odd youtube videos and a few other things. And most of it is very basic knowledge. Where do i learn to be good?
>>
>>520242
By learning and DOING it constantly and keep pushing it outside of your comfort zone. Keep your ego in check (meaning out of it) and listen to those who are your strongest critics. Ignore those who tell you how good you are.
Compare yourself to the best, not the standard/average.
Keep your standard high, but don't beat yourself over the head if you unperformed.
Every fuckup is a lesson.
Fail often, but keep on doing it.
>>
>>520198
go thorugh tuts a month - not so bad . has quite a few mesh-tools. got blender is no tuf at all
>>
if anybody has access to the blender cloud, i'd appreciate if you'd post the glass half and sintel rigs on the characters page
>>
>>512528

You misunderstand how the GPL works.

If you develop something using GPL software, you only have to release the code if you distribute it.

If they're keeping their tools in-house, the GPL is not a problem.

Alembic's being worked on - you might be able to find a build with Alembic support, I dunno. It's pretty high priority, though.

You're right about FBX and NURBS. No one has stepped up to do a complete NURBS implementation, and the impression I have with FBX is that the devs are mostly worried about game-related features.
>>
>>515485

>Download svg of Blender logo
>Create 3D object from svg path
>remove center of b
>send off to shapeways for printing
>order fleshlight
>put fleshlight into b
>fuck Blender
>>
>>520295
So just keep doing it I guess? I particularly wanted tips and tricks but tips that make me good exist. I can't use a guide on how to do everything because I wouldn't learn anything, but something to help me along would be nice.
My biggest problem is that I see lots of people better then me and constantly think "What's the point, I will never be that good, why bother?" I hate that thinking but I can't shake it. I guess I will just start small.
>>
File: doesitmatter.png (58 KB, 510x417) Image search: [Google]
doesitmatter.png
58 KB, 510x417
Is this okay?
The cap bit, is this okay to use or is there another way I should be using.
>>
>>520419
grid fill
>>
File: doesitmatter.png (203 KB, 816x782) Image search: [Google]
doesitmatter.png
203 KB, 816x782
>>520430
It says "select two edge loops"
What can I do to fix that?
>>
>>520432
The number of vertices in the loop must be even for it to work.
>>
>>520435
Ay thanks man, Didn't know that.
>>
>>520432
If that's an ass cheek, which is looks suspiciously like, your topology is horrible. All those loops shouldn't be converging like that.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 57

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.