[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Inventorfag here, I'm working on making a mold that would
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: inventor mold.png (141 KB, 1627x1027) Image search: [Google]
inventor mold.png
141 KB, 1627x1027
Inventorfag here, I'm working on making a mold that would be 3D printed, I figured my best course of action would be making the object (that would be molded), and somehow inverse that into a mold. Does anybody here know how I could basically turn the model into anti-matter and put it inside of a block to create a hollow mold? I could try and print the model itself and make a mold out of clay, but I'd like to skip a step, and it's always good if I can learn something new. Anyone here have any tips or experience with anything like this?
>>
Not an inventorfag but you want a Boolean subtract I believe.
>>
>>512312
Shell it?
>>
>>512315
CADfag here. A Boolean subtract would just totally destroy the mesh if you insert it into a closed mesh.

CAD applications have an obsession with optimizing the result, so if you're trying to subtract a ball from a larger ball, the smaller one is just going to disappear because it wouldn't change the silhouette.

You still want to do a Boolean subtract, except instead of a single object, you want to do it against the two halves of the mold.

However, I'm going to stop here because I can't responsibly advise you on making molds.
That shit's complicated, and the result can be trash depending on how much resin you put in or if you can't pressurize the mold.
>>
>>512312
This is am annoying problem a lot of cad software tends to run into because if your shape has any complexity whatsoever a boolean will fail.

My suggestion is to work with the object as nurbs. Intersect a plane through the middle, split the original nurbs and use the inside of the model as your 3d printed or milled surface. This is assuming you have a clean model.
>>
Cut it in half, select all faces, extrude a fair distance out, merge verts that fall inside other extrusions so that there are no intersections, then bool a box down each side individually.

Can you not just 3D print this statue as is and make a physical mold from it?
>>
>>512373
Yes, but the prompt of the project is that it's going to be a chocolate mold. So where as clay might do for a resin based mold, pouring hot chocolate into clay would probably fuck the integrity of the mold, and even if it held it would probably taste like shit.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.