[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
xNormal being weird
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: Capture.png (783 KB, 930x933) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
783 KB, 930x933
Need some help /3/. Getting some really annoying artifacts in xNormal. Tried to use a cage and that didn't work. Tried editing the model itself and that changed nothing as well. So far nothing has fixed it. Any ideas?
>>
>>511804
>xnormal
>2016
>>
>>511805
Ok then. What's the new program y'all are using?
>>
>>511806
mudbox, maya
>>
>>511806
tell me first why you're using xnormal and how long you've been at this
>>
>>511808
>why you're using xnormal
Don't really remember why. I just do. Only normal map making program I have
>how long you've been at this
Been using xNormals for a couple months.
>>
try reducing raycast
>>
>>511809
read
>>511807
>>
Oh shit I solved my issue. Nvm. I'm all set.
I'll look into those other programs however.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1440273023957.jpg (44 KB, 1118x1140) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1440273023957.jpg
44 KB, 1118x1140
>>511805
Fuck off. Xnormal is fine.
>>
>>511930
yeah so is screwing in things with a screwdriver.
but they made these new things called power drills and they work much better
>>
>>511930
If you see how many shit you've got to fix to get a fully proper bake from Xnormal compared to 3DsMax or Maya's build-in renderer then Xnormal is far from "fine"

@OP

What 3D software are you using? You probably can bake the normals just fine in your 3D program of choice.
>>
>>511966
>>511960
Look at these kids who are new to 3D and think they know everything, lol. While Transfer Maps does an amazing job from a technical perspective, it only bakes in 8-bit space, causing there to be noticeable banding on your normal maps in areas with very gradual angle changes or perfectly flat areas where single-precision errors come into play.

http://polycount.com/discussion/148303/of-bit-depths-banding-and-normal-maps
>>
>>511976
Oh, I forgot to add... and that's why you use xNormal, because it can bake 16bit maps to solve this issue.

Though really you should be using Substance Painter and/or Quixel these days. Substance will bake perfect maps for you.
>>
>>511977
You can use Turtle (which comes with Maya now) to bake 16 bit normal maps easily, and unlike transfer maps it will use all the available cores in your computer instead of running on a single core.
>>
>>511991
Turtle's Normal bake results aren't as consistent and high quality as Transfer Maps, and is a pain to use. And not to mention xNormal and Substance can target your bakes to certain engines, as different engines interpret normal maps slightly different.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.