[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey guys. im trying to mix 2 textures together by Vertex Painting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: bfd97354b6[1].jpg (308 KB, 1087x598) Image search: [Google]
bfd97354b6[1].jpg
308 KB, 1087x598
hey guys.
im trying to mix 2 textures together by Vertex Painting in UE4 but it doesn't let me paint where i like. it just paints in this big ugly patches. similar to when you try to texture something low poly in Zbrush. is there a way to subdivide the floor or whatever so i can go in and paint tiny water puddle, big chunks of dirt and whatever i want?

P.S. side question.
the wall UVs are stretched, is there a way to reset the UVs and fix it up?

ty
>>
>>511499
vertex paint means you assign a color value to a vertex. Like for blending 2 textures you paint some vertices black and some white,
and the triangle between them are interpolated between the values of their neighbours.
Since it's limited by vertex density It's a very crude type of blending only suitable for special purposes unless you want a really retro type look.

if you want good smooth blending you must use texture instead of vertex paint for your blend mask.
Upping the polycount to a density where vertex paint works well would require retardedly dense meshes.
>>
>>511500
Like for you to be able to paint "anywhere" like say on a 2048x2048 texture your plane would need to be subdivided to have 4194304 vertices which gives like 8.3 million triangles.
>>
File: bf8ccc2add[1].jpg (471 KB, 1712x949) Image search: [Google]
bf8ccc2add[1].jpg
471 KB, 1712x949
>>511501
well how can i paint over the texture itself? because i saw someone do it in a tutorial and he said its "vertex panting" but he was painting freely.
>>
how is this guy just painting like that?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl9XOtd7kaE
>>
>>511529

There are multiple image textures layered there, with different ones being revealed depending on vertex color. It is working exactly as your 'big ugly patches' example, except that you don't have vertex color driving which image is visible.
>>
>>511530
i know. i followed the tutorial in my example picture i didnt feel like importing other textures so i just used pink. and again, its painting big ugly patches. does his floor just have more vertacies? cuz the guy in >>511505
painted it on a 1 polygon simple wall. I even followed the video tutorial at >>511529
>>
>>511529
Around 3minute mark you can see all the vertices as he's clicking around, that room is using some super dense geometry. What he's doing there is okay for like a vast terrain object or similar, not for interiors and surfaces of that nature.
>>
>>511531
>>511532

Start over. That's the way you figure it out. You start over and do it again until you fucking get it right.
>>
>>511533
whut? There is no starting over that's ever gonna correct this for Op. Op's understanding of how vertex painting works is flawed.

And it's easy to see how Op got all confused, the tutorial he follows is by some clueless guy using vertex painting on a dense mesh teaching out his bad practices.
>>
File: f9df0516b7[1].jpg (466 KB, 1708x937) Image search: [Google]
f9df0516b7[1].jpg
466 KB, 1708x937
>>511539
OP here. i now understand how vertex painting works.

i figured out how to create blendlayer materials to paint terrains with but would still like to know if there is any way to paint over static mashes similar to vertex painting.

the 2nd tutorial (picture here >>511505) that i watched, the guy was painting freely and the static mesh did not seem to be a dense mesh... heres another picture from same tutorial.

he very accurately painted the color pink. similar to what i was trying
>>
>>511603
I haven't watched the video, but based on that picture he could be painting on an invisible grayscale image that drives the blending of the materials.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.