[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best computer for CG
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: Untitled_1.gif (543 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
Untitled_1.gif
543 KB, 300x225
So my girlfriend left me for her childhood friend (much taller richer dude). Haven't been sober in a month, just trips to the superstore for vodka and sleep/crying.

We had been saving for a holiday, to Fiji. Pretty sure she is going with childhood friend now. The point is though, I've got some spare cash. Most of it I'm saving but i have decided I'm going to splurge and buy a new PC.

I just moved to my dads, I've been doing my 3d work on my old ass macbook (go ahead laugh i was in love) and haven't researched new tech in a while.

So my question is does a gaming rig necessarily make a good 3d rig? or should i have something built specific to 3D? I was thinking something like this https://www.pccasegear.com/products/33890/pccg-nightmare-980-ti-gaming-system but i don't know....I would ask /g/ but fuck them and also i would like to ask both the people i have kinship with and who have experience with computer graphics, not ricing there desktop and masturbating to hentai. Thanks and i apologist if i come of as a bitch with this or its to long i'm getting wasted again. Feel free to offer advice on how to stop this pain too that would be good but yeah computer is my main focus.
>>
>>511022

Nice blog.

Also, no. Mostly. CPU > GPU in most cases for CGI. Don't neglect the GPU tough

Also, grab loads of ram.
>>
File: Untitled_2.gif (77 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
Untitled_2.gif
77 KB, 300x225
>>511023
thanks man, i'll keep that in mind but why so much RAM? I won't have much open is video memory or whatever its called important?
>>
Fiji is a fucking shithole m8 count your blessings.

Gaming cards are fine, dedicated pro boards aren't worth it unless you are spending someone else's money.

Get a shitton of ram and ssds for your main and scratch disks.
>>
>>511024

I'd say 16gb is a minimum even if you don't have much open.

3DCG software or CG software in general eats up ram. When you run out your computer starts to crawl.

Also like that other anon, SSD for extra speed when doing loading stuff.

Setup a backup system too.
>>
>>511024

Because even if ram isn't actively being used by your app it is being used as a cache to speed up other tasks.
>>
File: Capture;.png (62 KB, 280x319) Image search: [Google]
Capture;.png
62 KB, 280x319
>>511026
Sounds good notes taken, thank you mate.

>>511025
Really? That's good to know i hope they have a shit time.
>>
I still have a processor from 2011 and I see no reason to upgrade so you don't need the fastest you can get. Agree with the ssd get a large capacity so you can do all ur loading and saving from it. 16 Gb is the sweet spot for ram. As far as graphics cards go a 970 should be overkill. I wouldn't get a small form factor case I had nothing but overheating problems with them in the past. I would try and save money on the components and get a 4k or 1440p monitor instead.
>>
Soo.. apx 5K (assuming cost to fiji+hotel) to spend for upgrades?
>>
>>511024
Basically ram in 3d is used to contain the model and history of actions.
Model data(verteces, indexes, tris) is stored in ram, also every command you do in the 3d application is stored as well.
A simplified explanation is, if you take a model that's 40mb of data, scale it, the new data is 40mbs as well, but for the sake of having history, you need 80mbs of memory now, 3 steps is 120, etc. This is not exactly how it works, it's optimized, but it's something like that.
>>
>>511022

Don't fuck your liver, eat some shrooms in nature to get rid of your pain, stop beating yourself over the head, you just make a fool out of yourself.
You'll get nowhere in 3D if its just your escape motivation to distract you from your emotional problems.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.