[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's wrong with this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 11
File: Boba_Model_Final.png (643 KB, 1052x1080) Image search: [Google]
Boba_Model_Final.png
643 KB, 1052x1080
So i'm relatively new to CG, less than a year. And this is the first time i really worked on a character but everybody seems to hate it. What did i do wrong ? How can i make it better (using blender) ?
>>
nose, top of the eyelids, hairline, neck, big head, terrible background choice
>>
>>509749
It has the detail of that dancing baby from Ally McBeal, circa fucking forever ago. Look at a human face from all angles. Use the fuck out of references.
You're working on something that everyone knows well, so everyone can see the flaws. Your only choice is keep practicing and git gud anon. You'll get it.
>>
That hair whatever you used to make it is terrible... The face it's missing anatomy... you should really study what makes a face, really you can fuck up anything about human anatomy and get away with it but the face.
>>
hair is like wool,no distinctive materials

overall its pretty damn generic,but not bad
>>
>>509749
Don't use MakeHuman without editing it in Blender. It's just a starting point, not the finish line.
>>
Creepy as fuck expression and facial features. Looks very child-like. hair looks like felt doll's hair or something weird. eyes have no specular reflection or at least visible iris.
It looks like you've got the technical ability down a lot more than artistic skill.
>>
Face looks potato, hair looks like wool rovings, work on the hairline(make it a bit more diffuse instead of one straight line, very slightly zig zag) Fabric could use a bit more pattern on it, also some more folds(like permanent folds on an unironed button down shirt) Mybe make the sleves in the shoulder area wider and taper them down to the hand. Most kids dont have very thick eyebrows because that mostly comes with puperty.(eyebrows are normally lighter in color/less dense than top hair) Nose and nostriles looks very undefined, give the skin more color variation. Maybe play around with the SSS so you get a bit more fleshy red on the light(but very slightly and subtly) Chin and jaw looks underdeveloped, even for a kid.

Kind of strange facial structure for a white kid, looks almost african.
>>
>>509749
His hair looks a bit like small tiny bubbles.
>>
File: Skin nodes.jpg (253 KB, 1421x600) Image search: [Google]
Skin nodes.jpg
253 KB, 1421x600
>>509749
It looks Ok but it depends on what you are trying to achieve: Are you planning a group of these characters; are you going to animate it; etc.?

The main thing for me is the skin texture, It might be worthwhile to play around in PS/Gimp to change the diffuse (and eyevbrows).

Don't use SSS - uses a subtle gloss shader instead. (see pic)

It makes me laugh to see all these comments from art student kids bleating on about anatomy, if they take a look at people in the real world, they would realise that everybody conforms to their textbook pictures.
>>
>>510001
Ayy lmao, what are you doing with those nodes, nigga? You don't plug the color into the glossy shader, is your skin made of metal? And I don't get why you would want to use that transparent setup with skin, you must be using some very specific texture.

>>509749
DO use SSS, mix it with a glossy shader and use fresnel as the factor. Don't touch the glossy shader's color though, leave at white and the roughness should be around 0.1. Plug your skin texture into the color input of the SSS shader and an RGB input node into the radius. Change this RGB's color to red or a redish color (experiment with that) and change the scale to something like 0.5.
>>
please tell me how transparent shader goes into this
if not for the eyes
>>
>>509749
Too old
>>
>>510092
I was assuming OP used a makehuman base for the character and apart from the glossy node and the second mix node, this is my standard setup, when I use makehuman - I copy and paste for all textures, eyes, eyebrows, etc.

I found connecting the glossy node to texture colour, gave better results than leaving the glossy socket open, especially with the values on the pic. Try it!

I also found that using SSS needed far more passes in cycles to made a decent render (increased render time) and darkened the texture. Unless the texture is pretty damned hot and a photorealistic result is what you are after, then I'd best avoid it.
>>
>>510123
SSS only darkens the texture if you make it too strong, and I've tried it with cartoonish characters and simple textures and it works wonders. It does increase render time, but just render with fewer samples for previewing and leave the final render overnight or something, if your computer isn't fast enough.
As for the glossy shader, it's only colored if you're making something made of metal, or if you're going for some specific unrealistic stylized look.
I've never used makehuman, but I assume it gives you a diffuse texture, right? That should be more than enough for a passable render, you could even edit it in photoshop.
Can you show something you've made with that node setup you posted before? I'm curious.
>>
File: Node demo.png (1 MB, 1573x979) Image search: [Google]
Node demo.png
1 MB, 1573x979
>>510147
>Can you show something you've made with that node setup
Sure.

The picture on the left is the node set-up I posted, the picture on the right is a slightly higher setting but gives an alluring 'sweaty sheen' ????

OK it's WIP (the hair more so - but I am hoping that some some clever magic with particle physics, will sort things out)

The reflection on the eyes btw. is false I made the eyes in PS and included the reflection, as I found that gloss didn't work as planned and a static reflection was hardly noticeable (unless you are looking for it).

Apart from that it's a reasonably standard MH set-up (apart from the eyelashes and a few tweaks to the skin texture, the eyes and the hair!!)

Lighting is by virtue of a single emissive plane.
>>
>>510173
Cheers
>>
>>510171
Not sure if trolling.
What the fuck is this? I can't even tell its gender. Looks like some Poser crap you'd find on DA from a decade ago.
>>
>>510173
Some people have fetishes, anon. Some people love pork girls.
>>
>>510199
>Some people love pork girls.
I do
>>
File: skin nodes.png (430 KB, 1569x796) Image search: [Google]
skin nodes.png
430 KB, 1569x796
>>510171
I looks like it's emitting light in some places, if you didn't say you only had one emissive plane plane I would assume the problem was really strong lights, but that isn't the case. It's probably the glossy shader doing something weird.

Here's something I did with the setup I described.
Sorry about the ayy lmao face, I'm still not good at making humans. And I was using this to learn how to make hair, but it didn't go well. (Look at those shitty eyebrows and you'll see why)
For lighting I used a HDRI and a couple emissive planes here and there.
>>
File: 1447083599088.jpg (15 KB, 250x237) Image search: [Google]
1447083599088.jpg
15 KB, 250x237
>>510171
>>509749
>>510226

This fucking thread.

On a constructive sidenote >>510226 just make the distance between the eyes smaller (or not maybe thats intentional?)
>>
>>510226
>down syndrome feminist

nice
>>
>>509749
lol op you and i are both working on the same character(i am working on a older version thought). iwould say make the helmet more high poly...... add textures to the skin and eyebrows. and please share those wonderfll cloth shaders of u :>. maybe study how the face works a bit more 2
>>
>>510226
I suppose my lighting is a bit strong, but it's just a white plane, and AO at 0.25.

This one hell of a node set-up but I'm wondering if it's really necessary ?
Coordinates and mapping shouldn't really be needed if you made a UV map for the skin and a normal map is probably not required either, as it's a smooth skin and you are not trying to create, acne, pock marks, wrinkles, etc.
The gloss image texture, I assume, relates to the lips? Although when I have done glossy lips before I highlighted the vertices, duplicated them , made them a separate entity, diffuse red and applied a solidify modifier - it gave me more control as I could mess around with the transparency also.

Hair is a pain, did you make particle eyebrows? . .I tried that once, never worked for me.

I must also point out that I can't use my Graphics card for rendering, so I do try and keep things simple.
>>
File: render1.png (4 MB, 2010x1620) Image search: [Google]
render1.png
4 MB, 2010x1620
>>510255
Yeah the mapping and coordinates nodes are unnecessary, they're there because I use the node wrangler addon and when I press ctrl+t it adds an image texture node with those other ones already attached and I just forget to delete them.
There are small details on the normal map, it's just that I rendered it in a lower resolution to post so you can't see them. And there are some variations on the glossiness of the skin besides the lips, although more subtle.
This is an older render though, so it's missing some more recent edits.
>Hair is a pain, did you make particle eyebrows? . .I tried that once, never worked for me.
Yeah it's pretty tough, I watched a couple of these videos to help me go from zero to what you see (still pretty shitty. I mean, look at this shit, I wish it was possible to spoiler images on /3/)
https://cgcookie.com/archive/styling-and-rendering-long-hair-with-blender-and-cycles/
>I must also point out that I can't use my Graphics card for rendering, so I do try and keep things simple.
I see, so if you don't have a monster of a CPU SSS is a no go for you.
>>
>>510257
>so if you don't have a monster of a CPU SSS is a no go for you.
Yes, SSS is a bit of a pain for me, and for the sort of stuff I mess around with, I suppose it's the main reason I avoid it!

I saw the trailer for the cgcookie stuff and I have been meaning to download it.

Just out of interest, the hair on your model, looks like texture, with a particle fringe?
>>
>>510261
It's all hair particles with cycles' hair shaders.
>>
>>510257
>>
>>510263
Exactly what I thought... All his characters seem like they're modeled after people with chromosomal issues :S
>>
>>510264
There are 3 different people's works in this thread.
But yeah they all have downs syndrome.
>>
File: syndromegirl01.jpg (398 KB, 2704x838) Image search: [Google]
syndromegirl01.jpg
398 KB, 2704x838
Girls with funky syndromes are kinda cute, though.
>>
File: syndromegirl02.jpg (102 KB, 803x838) Image search: [Google]
syndromegirl02.jpg
102 KB, 803x838
>>510294
>>
>>510294
>>510295
I didn't know Alioto was making human girls now.
>>
>>510257
>>510294
>>510295
Syndromes or no, the corners of the mouth and the pupils line up vertically.

> but it's my style

fuck your style and fuck you, fix it because no one is going to hire you until you get over yourself
>>
File: mouthcornersandpupils1.png (548 KB, 803x838) Image search: [Google]
mouthcornersandpupils1.png
548 KB, 803x838
>>512030
I is hired nao???
>>
Check out mine:
>>
>>509749
>being butthurt by opinions

It looks pretty good. You just need to work on texture detail. It needs to look more like real skin, dust on fabric, etc unless you are going for a more Disney animated look.

The hairline at the forehead also looks if an animated film character.
Mostly needs better texture mats, that's about it.
>>
This looks like that punk kid from Riverwood
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.