[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I've painted some weights in Maya. When I smooth the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
So I've painted some weights in Maya. When I smooth the mesh it usually normalizes the weights and screws everything up. So I lock the weights and smooth, which distributes the weights properly when smoothed. But when I export the mesh, it exports the unsmoothed lowpoly version. So when I delete the non-deformer history and export, it normalizes the weights again.

How do I get the smooth mesh exported with properly distributed not-normalized weights ?

Also, Maya questions thread. Pic unrelated
>>
Where are you exporting the weighted mesh to and also why are you exporting the weighted mesh?
>>
>>508354
I'm expoprting the FBX to Unity
>>
>>508359
interesting. been a game dev long?
>>
>>508360
not really, i'm just getting into unity and trying to learn the basics. I did Maya but I never had to deal with importing stuff before. Is there a way to fix this ?
>>
>>508362
I use a different engine
>>
anyone ?
>>
>>508352
Uh, maybe try smoothing BEFORE rigging? Why would you do it after...
>>
>>508464
less points to weight

@OP

I dont know about Maya but 3ds max has an utility that lets you export your weight to skin object (which is an edit poly modifer, so its not rigged but it has the skinning information). You can remove the rig from your orginal model, smooth it, apply edit poly. Do the same to the skin object. After that you apply a skin modifier to your new high poly model and import the skin from the skin object (skin object and rig have to be in same place). It's in skin utilities.

I wondered if maya lets you do the same, copying weights from one mesh to another with the option to declare which bones from the source skin gets matched to which bone from the target skin. It is important for my workflow and if maya doesnt support this I can't really switch to it, even though I want to.
>>
>>508468
You're weight PAINTING them, the amount of points on the mesh doesn't really make it take any longer, in fact you can achieve nicer weight painted deforms because of the higher res base.
>>
>>508472
weight painting is inaccurate though
>>
>>508473
how else would you adjust bone weights ?
>>
>>508473
What are you talking about? Have you been manually setting weights vert by vert? Weight painting is not inaccurate, every game and film studio paints their weights.
>>
>>508479
It's good for gettingthe first basic rig but to get a perfect one you adjust vert by vert / loop by loop
>>
>>508484
No, you absolutely do not. You don't need to do that in Maya, the functions the paint-weights tool provides for you cover everything you need to get good weighting. Move a joint and continue painting the areas that aren't deforming how you like until they do deform proper, then snap back to static pose. There's a mode to smooth weights out as well with the brush.
>>
>>508484
>hurr I was only pretending to be retarded

This isn't trolling. This is lawncrapping.
>>
File: 1380697092809.jpg (42 KB, 479x720) Image search: [Google]
1380697092809.jpg
42 KB, 479x720
>>508484
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.