[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /3/, I'm somewhat new to all of this, and need a little
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 8
Hey /3/, I'm somewhat new to all of this, and need a little guidance. I aspire to make low-poly models, like the one seen in the image, for mobile games and the like.

My main question is why are the tracks divided into tris like that, rather than using 3 polys? I just found it odd, because it seems like it's just a flat surface, so why not make it simpler and use rectangles instead? Is there any sort of benefit to either?

Othwr than that, let's have a low-poly thread.
>>
File: tf2_soldier01.jpg (159 KB, 1036x696) Image search: [Google]
tf2_soldier01.jpg
159 KB, 1036x696
Will dump a couple more
>>
>>
File: tf2_engineer01.jpg (162 KB, 1012x717) Image search: [Google]
tf2_engineer01.jpg
162 KB, 1012x717
>>
>>
File: tf2_scout01.jpg (120 KB, 875x700) Image search: [Google]
tf2_scout01.jpg
120 KB, 875x700
>>
File: zombie_wire.jpg (90 KB, 756x377) Image search: [Google]
zombie_wire.jpg
90 KB, 756x377
>>
>>506305
triangles on TF2 characters are for polygon bending. Polygon bend by that edge.
However in game engine, all models are made of triangles. If you have exported model lets say from 3ds max in quads. Game engine will connect all vertexes anyways, because it needs to work with triangles. You can pre-triangualte in your software to get that polygon bending right, because the engine does that automatically.
>>
>>506350
But what is the benefit of what the OP pic did? I'm assuming the tracks won't be bending.
>>
>>506350
But what is the benefit of what the OP pic did? I'm assuming the tracks won't be bending.
>>
File: 1450755070643.jpg (118 KB, 639x495) Image search: [Google]
1450755070643.jpg
118 KB, 639x495
>>506305
It sorta is rectangles, there's two quads there that the extrusions on either side were probably pulled out of.
As for the extra lines on those quads, those are always there. I'm not sure why they're displayed because, like you said, it looks flat and none of the divisions on any of the other quads are displayed, but they would be there whether they were displayed or not.
>>
>>506390
alright well i guess that answers my question, thanks anon
>>
>>506305
It doesn't have a purpuse as the surface is flat, therefore it doesn't matter in what way the tris are cut, it's the same number of tris, also if you're gonna use it in 3d games anyway, they are gonna turn into tris. Gpus draw in tris, not quads.
>>
As a rule of thumb, since quads are converted to tris almost all of the time anyway, when there's tris somewhere, its probably because the modeler intended to have more control over that section how the poly gets divided.

Either for bending/rotating sections or better control over uv coords
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.