[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright, I'm ready to jump the sinking ship that is 3DS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: 1419801843993.jpg (100 KB, 854x640) Image search: [Google]
1419801843993.jpg
100 KB, 854x640
Alright, I'm ready to jump the sinking ship that is 3DS Max.
Has anyone here switched from 3DS Max to Maya recently? What resources did you use to get used to it? I know there's a few "Maya for Max users" tutorials floating around, can anyone vouch for any of those being decent?

Inb4 >Maya
>>
For the last fucking time, stop trying to flag yourself with a single software like it's your identity or something. Max and Maya are used for different things. Use Max for modelling, especially industrial and architectural modelling, but it's good with spline modelling as well. Use Maya for animating, rigging, skinning and all that. Youtube has all the tuts you need.
>>
>>505976
I *don't* just use a single piece of software, but Maya seems to tick all the boxes that Max does while actually being developed as Autodesk's flagship product while Max seems to be edging it's way towards death so I want to phase it out of my workflow. Easy to understand?
>>
File: FB_IMG_1440273023957.jpg (44 KB, 1118x1140) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1440273023957.jpg
44 KB, 1118x1140
OP is a traitor faggot.
>>
>>505983
there's litterally nothing indicating that autodesk will be dropping max anytime soon, other than speculations of hobbyist...
I can understand the need for being proefficient at maya though. I'd say just start a simple project(modelling/rigging a character, do XX seconds of animation, render a photorealistic scene, whatever), set a time limit for it, and watch some appropriate tuts.
>>
>>505975

3ds max is used for arch vis, which is a much bigger field than game dev and cinema animation.

Autodesk isn't going to scrap 3ds max.
>>
>>505986
I'm not saying they're going to drop it, but I've been using it for game dev and, as far as that goes, Maya seems to be the software getting all the new features.
>>
>>505985
Literally the past 3 updates have been a huge indicator that they are slowing down development of 3DS Max in plans to let it die off like they did with Softimage. Even the way they present the videos about new features, Maya is hyped up a bunch and 3DS Max is this sad guy reading a script with no excitement in his voice.

Maya is getting all the features aimed at Game dev and film. And sometimes a few of these features get ported to Max the next year, as we've been seeing. Maya's modeling toolset rivals 3DS Max's now. They both have their pros and cons, but Max is no longer miles ahead at it.

Not to mention this:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3biu7r_future-of-modeling-in-maya-andrew-camenisch-autodesk-vision-series_creation
>>
If you're gonna switch, why not switch to houdini..?
>>
>>506018
Because Houdini is only good for VFX? Definitely if you're getting into VFX, Houdini is one of the strongest contenders, though Maya is pretty popular for VFX too. But for anything else, Houdini really doesn't hold a candle.
>>
>>506022
Really? I thought houdini had really good rigging/animating tools.
>>
>>506017
And to add insult to injury, that Bifrost system Maya got used to be called Naiad and was being developed for 3DSMax. Autodesk bought out the company and instead had it made for Maya. If that isn't good enough proof, well, you're then ya'll are delusional.
>>
File: Max is clearly dying.png (7 KB, 283x338) Image search: [Google]
Max is clearly dying.png
7 KB, 283x338
I`ve met some Autodesk guys that suggested that there have been internal issues with Max for years, slowing its development, but have said that it's not at any risk.

Basically the top ten products are nine variations of AutoCad, and Max. There are more seats of Max worldwide than there are Maya. Maya obviously dominates the animation market, but like several anons have pointed out, Max has the lion's share of arc vis work and the like.

Maybe I'm wrong, but just because one software gets more updates than another, does not mean the latter is going to be shelved. It simply means that powerful groups that require specific tools for entertainment lobby for them to be in Maya, hence the development of those features. There is less need for entertainment features in Max, hence less development.

Some of this is speculative however. If another anon knows something I don't, please share.
>>
>>506051

Would getting any of the AutoCAD software help with game assets, specifically level design?
>>
>>506052
not at all
>>
>>506052
Like the other anon said, not even a little.

The AutoCad series is geared entirely towards design for engineering, architecture, and things in that sort of spectrum. It's not designed for a game workflow.

Stick to Max, Maya, or Blender.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.