[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to handpaint? Do you know any good tutorials? Can this be
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 12
How to handpaint?
Do you know any good tutorials?
Can this be done in a program like Substance Painter, or do I need to paint the UV maps in Photoshop if I want this brushy style?
>>
>>
>>
>>504935
i tried learning hand painting for a little while, i learned a way to simulate hand painted textures by setting up the lighting and setting up the base color i needed and rendering out the texture maps from 3ds max, than desaturating wood/metaal textures nd overlaying it to make it look hand painted
>>
>>
>>504935
yes, it can be done in blender even
https://www.youtube.com/user/XRG81/videos

also Marc Brunet has released a tutorial on that, just recently, wait...you didn't really research this, did you?
>>
>>504935
You can do whatever you want. Some people like to paint in 3d some people like to paint in 2d. It's a matter of preference.
>>
>>504960
I like this guy too, he uses blender and zbrush together
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-lDd3KPqZg
>>
I tried handpainting once and it was incredibly difficult. I'm currently learning sculpting and I think it would be easier to sculpt the texture of X object, bake its data and use that in Photoshop or whatever as a starting point.

Now that I'm looking at this video >>504971 it's exactly what I mean.
>>
Also, has anyone tried doing the whole handpainting style but with actual PBR materials like pic related?

Another example https://www.behance.net/gallery/18031785/Foot-Bridge
>>
>>504974
I'm sure if you google hard enough you can find someone that has.

I can imagine setting up something with nods to achieve what >>504939 said, where you're manipulating a texture (or a procedural one, I guess) and then desaturate it and position it using UV data

It would probably take a shit ton of tweaking, and might look a bit unnatural due to uncanny valley since you've got something that approaches a realistic texture but you've made it cartoony

You should try it Anon and report back to us
>>
>>504935
>How to handpaint?

Fuck just paint your textures that's what it literally means
PAINT IT
WITH YOUR HANDS
>>
>dumbness intensifies

Are you goid at painting?
Can you draw and color a convincing cartoony treasure chest? No?
Then why the fuck do you assume you can do it in 3d - lol.
>>
>>504974
I mean if you can do PBR and you can do handpainted then why didn't you just try it yourself?
>>
>>504974

That pic doesn't look very handpainted, the 3d model itself has stylized proportion but the textures don't look very hand painted and I think that vector pattern on the sword looks shit(but that might be just personal preference. )
>>
>>504971
looks ugly and has a stupid design imo.
personal taste aside, his technique is pretty interesting.
>>
>>504935

photoshop or like that. also the OPspicture is horrible job.
>>
>>505015
Gotta love /3/ experts
>>
>I can't google
>>
File: 1449575138856.jpg (19 KB, 521x403) Image search: [Google]
1449575138856.jpg
19 KB, 521x403
>>505015
>>505017
This.
Any artist who value his trade wouldn´t post on /3/ to check if his work is any good; retards here only want ultrarealism, and in renders that would make animation impossible. Or furry shit.
In any case, nobody here is a skilled generalist daring to post his own work for this reason.
>>
>>504942
>>504936
this is fucking perfect.
Any animation or game with this would be awesome.
>>
>>
File: 1338574028668.jpg (39 KB, 678x654) Image search: [Google]
1338574028668.jpg
39 KB, 678x654
>>504974
The result of hand-painting with PBR actually looks awesome if your maps are created correctly (ie. metals vs non-metals, correct specular and glossiness values, etc.)

>>504975
The uncanny valley has nothing to do whatsoever with painted stuff, google it

>>505030
> nobody here is a skilled generalist
challenge accepted

>>505033
My nigga
>>
>>505017
knife has rust on the main surface but not in scratches. the reflection is way to heavy drawn. the medival style knives DO NOT HAVE HOLES! IT WAS SHIT EXPENSIVE TO MAKE HOLES IN STEEL BACK THEN!
>>
>>505068
Can't tell if this ironic shitposting but I like the harsh brushtrokes and shiny look.
>>
>>505017
It is pretty sloppy. Cant tell what the yellow part is supposed to be. I first registered it as a reflection of a flame, but obviously it doesnt make any sense. The other guy said rust, which it looks nothing like it. It could be yellow paint, but thats just looking for theories what it could be instead of being whats it supposed to be.

If youre gonna do broad strokes and a style of a doodle, atleast get your priorities right and make your goals clear.
>>
>>505058
> The result of hand-painting with PBR actually looks awesome
Show me one example
>>
>>505118
DOTA 2
Sunset overdrive
Wildstar

did you even think this through?
>>
File: 1389789927190.jpg (26 KB, 491x404) Image search: [Google]
1389789927190.jpg
26 KB, 491x404
>>504974
>>505118
PBR simply implies that the light and shader parameters make a coherent whole based on real physical notions, why wouldn't you want that even with a handpainted look?
>>
>>505135
Because with handpainted shit you usually paint shadows and highlights as well to make it look you know handpainted.
>>
>>505141
Not him, but in your image, the textures don't have shadows painted on, as evident in the floor, barrel's side and box texture

>>505121
Not him, but how the hell is Dota 2 materials in anyway PBR, technically or visually?
Source 2 does not have PBR, and even if they did, no game using it has implemented it so far.

>>505135
In my opinion stylized shading can be ruined by "real" shading, it's like asking

"But we can accurately simulate smoke clouds as per real world rules in this VFX shot when the helicopter flies through it, why wouldn't we want to use it?"

Because sometimes reality doesn't look good, and exaggeration and stylization makes certain renders better
Have you seen what it would really look like as per real rules? No contrast, clouds moving in a very non-dramatic fashion, very anti-climactic, not exactly something you'd want in a shot if, say, it was some sort of rescue helicopter at the climax of a movie.

Depends on it's purpose I suppose
>>
>>505198
M80, get your rational logical thinking the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck off MY board.
>>
>>505198
You're pretty blind lad. Just look at the UV textures. Look atthe sword or shield texture and how the shadows and highlights are already baked in, same with the wood cracks.go be a retard somewhere else
>>
>>505237
You're pretty stupid if you somehow gathered that I missed all that, and completely missed the entire point I was trying to make
No shit there's occlusion and reflection on the texture, but observe the soft shadow apparent in the render which is not present on the texture of the barrel and floor
Go lack basic logic and comprehension elsewhere
>>
>>505245
>because with handpained shit you usually paint shadows and highlights
>hurt those textures don't have shadows pained on
>but they have you retard
>that wasn't what I meant go back to basic logic and comprehension

Maybe you should follow your own advice retard
>>
>>505320
stfu he is right. I fully understood what he meant. Stop attacking people on their writing and try to understand eachother.
>>
File: Z2sRGdt[1].jpg (49 KB, 1023x587) Image search: [Google]
Z2sRGdt[1].jpg
49 KB, 1023x587
>>
>>505321
Stop samefagging retard
>>
>>505322
thats the worst texture ive ever seen
>>
>>505462
>people can't agree with someone that I don't agree with
He clearly was making the right, just worded it stupidly.
>>
>>505322
Awesome pic, saved. Gonna be a great help!
>>
>>505068

>IT WAS SHIT EXPENSIVE TO MAKE HOLES IN STEEL BACK THEN!

Say what? Do you even blacksmith?
>>
>>505321
>>505511

Just report and ignore retarded trolls
This is no different

>>505322
The tutorial's texture looks really stylized and cartoony while the render on the top left is much much more realistic
It's leagues different in terms of painting it, judging by the render
>>
>>505604
Still samefagging I see. Just accept that your retard ass was wrong. The texture does have fucking shadows.
>>
>>505604
What an idiot the picture on top is obviously just a reference. Stop trying to weight in everything to look smart lad.
>>
>>505686
You know there is a way to check if people are samefagging right? I know for a fact you didn't check.
>>
File: output.png (170 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
output.png
170 KB, 960x540
hand painted always looks better
>>
>>505604
Dude... just.. stop posting.
>>
Materials are a minor problem compared to the bane of all texture artist: The Cloth Folds.
Is there a easy way to draw them? Any trick would help everyone, I'm sure.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.