[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw I realize most 3D software uses realistic pig disgusting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6
File: 1443893977668.jpg (12 KB, 320x337) Image search: [Google]
1443893977668.jpg
12 KB, 320x337
>tfw I realize most 3D software uses realistic pig disgusting lightning where the light travel a rect line
>tfw I realize for NPR and animu it would be better if we could control the lightning path as if it were a bezier line
>tfw mindblow
>>
what chu talkin bout faget
>>
File: idea.png (20 KB, 650x429) Image search: [Google]
idea.png
20 KB, 650x429
>>504598
I mean this.
>>
>>504601
its time to put the bong down son.
>>
>>504602
2D shit uses lightning that doesn't follow realism and sometimes there's inconsistencies and even contradictions.
>>
>>504601
What the actual fuck has this op been hitting?
>>
Or just light something a different angle?
>>
>>504606
No anon, doing it that way is far too sane for this Op.
>>
>>504607
>his mind can't comprehend such innovation
top lol

It's like showing the internet to middle ages peasants.
lmao
>>
File: 672[1].jpg (46 KB, 625x564) Image search: [Google]
672[1].jpg
46 KB, 625x564
> this thread
>>
>>504601
use a directed light and a diffuse light or whatever. coming from the same direction. i hope this answers your question and also your bong smells
>>
>>504606
>>504607
OP's right. You dont understand him. 2D art brakes rules to create particular complimentary lighting. Lighting from another direction would create alot of uneeded places to be litten and creating shadows in an uncomplimentary way. Essentially overcomplicating the character or the scene with too much value diferentiations. I thought about this problem too, but didnt devise any technical solutions since i have no required skillset to do so, other than personal fantasy programing.
>>
>>505123
Op doesn't even understand himself anon. If Op wanted to make an NPR shader that modified the incoming light vector to some constraint, fine.
But Op wants to modify the actual path of the light as it travels trough space, along curved pathways, like what the fuck?

Look at op's image >>504601 why would you ever have the light do a loop in space midway between you and the light source?
And then line things up so it hit you from the right instead of head on? Can you imagine what a clusterfucked nightmare a system like that would be to work with?
Where the light hit you from random fucking angles depending on how close to the lightsource you stand? This shit is /b/eyond r/3/tarded.
It's an idea that just can't make any sense to no one unless you are intoxicated on narcotics, not even any of that jokingly "ha-hah u on weeeeed!" bullshit.
No, I'm asserting that this Op is in fact clinically using hard drugs to be able to produce an idea like this.
>>
OP's not crazy. Terrible at explaining things, but not crazy.

What you're asking for sounds complex and bespoke as shit, but you could probably fake it with some clever normal maps, and by breaking your mesh up into lots pieces so that you can toggle whether various parts of it cast or recieve, or self-shadow at all.
>>
>>505126
>NPR shader that modified the incoming light vector to some constraint
you mean like editing the geometry's normals? or something else entirely? i've never heard anything worded that way.
>>
Light linking
>>
>>505123
>OP's right. You dont understand him. 2D art brakes rules to create particular complimentary lighting. Lighting from another direction would create alot of uneeded places to be litten and creating shadows in an uncomplimentary way. Essentially overcomplicating the character or the scene with too much value diferentiations. I thought about this problem too, but didnt devise any technical solutions since i have no required skillset to do so, other than personal fantasy programing.

OP's right. You don't understand him. 2D art [breaks] rules to create particular compl[e]mentary lighting.

http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2011/04/compliment-or-complement/

Lighting from another direction would create [a lot] of uneeded places to be [lit] and creating shadows in an uncompl[e]mentary way. Essentially overcomplicating the character or the scene with too [many] value diferentiations. I thought about this problem too, but didnt devise any technical solutions since i have no required skillset to do so, other than personal fantasy program[m]ing.

Just trying to help.
>>
File: retard.jpg (153 KB, 905x429) Image search: [Google]
retard.jpg
153 KB, 905x429
>>504601
>>
>>505161
In a shader a point light for example is represented as a vector sitting in space, a simple 3D coordinate.
And your normal is also a vector, but one that describes a direction based on what side of origin xyz(0,0,0) it sits.
You then have the mathematical operation of the 'dot product' that will create a value of -1 to 1 depending on how aligned two vectors are.

So You could dot between the lightVector and the normalVector of the surface and then have the shader move/exclude/whatever your light if it exceed some threshold.
Altering the normal based on lightVector direction would achive the same result.

You can do all kinds of exotic things no one would ever have heard of in shader code if only your mind could dream it up.
A shader is just a small program that decides the color of a pixel based on a bunch of vectors and numbers (light intensity, sampled texture color etc) and formulas you write up.
Tricky part is actually inventing something new that does something interesting, typically you just combine and mix old and well known tricks to make your shaders.
>>
>>504601
what if this works???
>>
>>505243
It doesn't. If you moved trough a field where the light actually curved midair it would look like you moved trough a room where the light source was animated and orbited around you.
>>
>>504597
Write a thesis and apply to ufotable.
>>
Instead of bending the light, why don't you manipulate the ray bounce angle of your surface via shader?
>>
>>504601
>this is your brain on Anime
>>
>>504601

Not gonna lie OP, that could make for some trippy puzzle game if it revolves around manipulating the angle of lighting relative to objects. If I weren't such a piss poor programmer in C++, I would be doing that right now.
>>
File: are-you-wizard.jpg (18 KB, 225x300) Image search: [Google]
are-you-wizard.jpg
18 KB, 225x300
>>505207
>>
>>504597

Simple. Just model your scene in non-euclidean space.

Any pleb with a PhD in physics could code that up for you.
>>
This thread. This ones my favourite. You fucking retard OP.
>>
Light always travels straight, what curves is space faggot.
>>
File: 1449643305494.jpg (27 KB, 358x272) Image search: [Google]
1449643305494.jpg
27 KB, 358x272
>>506338
>needing a phd to code in non-euclidean space
>>
>>504597
Sorry OP, Interstellar beat you to it already.

http://www.dneg.com/dneg_vfx/blackhole/
>>
also look for the devs of guilty gear xrd
they have a fantastic talk about achieving the “animu style“ in real time
>>
>>506516
Interestingly enough, this talk doesn't mention bending light part way through its travel. Nor are they on crack like OP clearly is
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.