[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
College Portfolios
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 12
File: work in progress.jpg (811 KB, 1920x2400) Image search: [Google]
work in progress.jpg
811 KB, 1920x2400
Hey /3/. I'm currently a senior applying for colleges to do Game Art and Animation and I plan on sending in a portfolio of my work, but my main concern is whether it would be considered inappropriate or wrong of me to send in 3D models of weapons which, sadly, is all I have. I don't really have any diversity to what I make currently and I was planning on doing more diverse stuff in college. Pic related is one of my better works of art.

I'd assume it's somewhat ok to send in such models because they'll know I'm applying for a major in basically videogames, but it just doesn't feel right simply because of the usual view on guns.
>>
File: screen01.png (603 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
screen01.png
603 KB, 1920x1200
Another piece of artwork.
>>
Shit texturing
>>
File: 1431015503230.jpg (67 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1431015503230.jpg
67 KB, 1280x720
>>503959
T-Thanks anon.
>>
>Game Art and Animation

>inappropriate or wrong of me to send in 3D models of weapons

How much does the FPS genre dominate the market?
>>
>>503963
See now that's what I'm thinking as well. Sending in gun models shouldn't be an issue, but I just can't help thinking that it would.
>>
>>503963
>How much does the FPS genre dominate the market?
It doesn't.
>>
add metallic map
i like how its flat shaded but some parts are too blocky
>>
File: tumblr_nxjpedEV8A1tjdvfuo1_540.jpg (54 KB, 540x539) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nxjpedEV8A1tjdvfuo1_540.jpg
54 KB, 540x539
>>503957

How about you make more models, other than guns instead of posting to 4chan? Solved.
>>
>>503957
You should ask if the college would like to see your portfolio before sending it to them. I've heard of people getting rejected because they sent in information that the college didn't a.sk for and got their application removed.

If they do want to see your portfolio then show them what you got.
>>
>>503959
Go shitpost somewhere else.

>>503958
Looks OK, but it's a bit too dark. Do some more angles like the 1st one.

I'd cover your bases and model some different subjects as well. Or environments.
>>
I went to college in the 1980s. My portfolio was literally untextured scenes made out of very basic primitives. Making a sphere morph into a cube and then a pyramid was a class project. It would take weeks just to render a short scene. Even our 2D computer animation was pretty sad.
>>
Funny how every newcomer to 3D starts with weapons. including myself. I am from the dodge and burn generation. Clan of the dead goat generation.
>>
>>503994
lol
>>
File: made it.jpg (11 KB, 211x207) Image search: [Google]
made it.jpg
11 KB, 211x207
OP here. Got in touch with the colleges and they said it's fine to send in weapon models. I also did some other models that revolve around human anatomy and clothing.

Got accepted into my first choice.
>>
Rendered images definetly are a portfollio peice. also include the object with the polys showing :)

- Computer games art and animation student
>>
Those are not some free-stock 3d you just pulled of the web?
>>
File: screen006.jpg (909 KB, 1920x1980) Image search: [Google]
screen006.jpg
909 KB, 1920x1980
>>506024
Already did. :)
>>506048
It's all legit, anon. Here's another.
>>
>>503957
College isn't high school. You're not going to get expelled for doodling guns in you note book.
>>
>>505997
Where'd you apply to?
>>
>>506079
Just popping in to say Colt looks alright. This looks like shit. Also where the hell are the smoothing groups.
>>
File: my_Guns2.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
my_Guns2.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
I would definately work on some other areas in an application for a school but some gun stuff isnt bad to show. I mean be honest what game has no weapons certainly not one anyone plays.
>>
>>506151
that looks terrible
>>
show me your work thats better troll
>>
>>506160
How did you expect those guns to look proper with such shit lighting and fucktard reflective floor?
Models are alright I suppose but please don't display your models like this. Can hardly see what's going on.
>>
>>506151
scene is 100% lit
floor is a mirror
weapons look too clean but the models are pretty good
>>
>>506109
Smoothing groups didn't port over during the low poly export. Gotta figure out why when I specifically told it to export the smoothing groups.
>>
>>506095
Champlain College, Northeastern Uni, Hampshire College, RIT, Columbia College Chicago, etc.
>>
>>506151
wtf am i looking at? this is a mess.
>>
Hey man, I'm in the need of another weapon artist, modeler, I'm developing something. Would you be interested? Reach me on Reddit, I /u/gzintu, or if you hate Reddit add me on steam, /id/Gadiel.
>>
File: AK_Plain.png (1012 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
AK_Plain.png
1012 KB, 1920x1080
no reflections white background here is the real gun http://q5grafx.deviantart.com/art/Cam00366-531936094
>>
>>506151

Rifling on the OUTSIDE of the barrel?
>>
>>506253
much better
>>
>>506079

Go look at a tree. That wood grain ain't right. Wood grain doesn't cross like that.

The grain that isn't crossing does look like walnut though, so you got that right.
>>
>>503957
Probably fine for getting into a program, but you'll want to diversify big time while in college.
>>
>>506109
m1 carbine with paratrooper, looks very real. Light wood and square like handle. Not OP.
>>
>>506853
paratrooper stock*
>>
Imo you should make at least a few other assets... Nothing organic. But anything other than guns. Or the portfolio choice might look a little childish.
>>
making guns isn't necessarily impressive anon
try making shit outside your comfort zone for a change
>>
Its honestly looking fine OP, try and explore the rest of the modelling pipeline, try doing some organic modelling, curve modelling even.

The more skills you can demonstrate, the better chance you have
>>
>>507212
Anon here.

Now i dont know what your course is looking for, but my course (Visual Effects) like to see life drawing and general knowledge and skills within traditional art.

Try looking into colour theory, composition, perceptive drawings etc. Anything to give you an artist edge.

If you have better 2d art skills than most people, you will without a doubt become a better 3d artist
>>
>>503957
Have you modeled any sci-fi designs?
>pic related as an example
>>
>>507872
mate...this isn't sci-fi. This is western at best. Are you fucking retarded?
>>
File: 1427078709648.jpg (182 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1427078709648.jpg
182 KB, 600x600
>>507876
It's soft sci-fi, you autistic fuck.
>muhh laser weapons
>>
>>507886
>soft sci fi
You're just making weeb shit up now and posting a weeb image to boot.
>>
>>507887
Wow you're a huge asshole, it's a good looking gun calm down
>>
>>507886
>>507887
It's clearly cyberpunk you daft retards.

>Soft si-fi
>Western

The first one doesn't exist and the second one it clearly is too advance for.
>>
File: 0jCMq.jpg (38 KB, 548x530) Image search: [Google]
0jCMq.jpg
38 KB, 548x530
>>507891
>cyberpunk
No cyber punk look to the gun. Just looks like an oversized revolver. Looks like something hellboy would use circa 2008.
>>
File: blade_gun[1].jpg (118 KB, 592x433) Image search: [Google]
blade_gun[1].jpg
118 KB, 592x433
>>507894
shiggidy diggidy kill yourself

Not to mention you are ignoring things like the shape of the cylinder. I bet you don't know anything about cyberpunk.
>>
>>507895
you dont know anything about cyberpunk. That blade gun looks just the same as any weapon from The Last of Us ie modern style, no "cyber' attached
>>
>>507896
You are really retarded. You should kill yourself. The fact that you don't know both where that gun is from, how famous it is and it's significance just proved my point.
>>
>>507872
>that piss poor grip
>the area above the cylinder is an artifact eldorado

this whole gun smells like "I don't want to invest the time needed to finalize my highpoly"
>>
>>506341
>Go look at a tree. That wood grain ain't right. Wood grain doesn't cross like that.
I tried to put scratches and missing patches to give it a Fallout look since I plan on releasing this as a mod for Fallout 4. However I can see why it doesn't look right. I'll probably just hide the layer with scratches.
>>
>>503957
Send it to a company that specializes in weaponry. They need your skill
>>
UNRELATED QUESTION:

No point making a new thread. Whats your opinion of making a model from a concept (where someone has already done so).

I started last month and was really hyped, then found a pretty good sculpt already done. should i abandon?
>>
>>508337
are you selling the model?
if not, then why the fuck would you abandon it
not every single model has to be a special unique snowflake, people model shit from the real world/concept art/games/movies/etc just for practice and cause it's fun
>>
>>508337
>I started last month and was really hyped, then found a pretty good sculpt already done. should i abandon?
I can see why you may think that since doing so would be like reinventing the wheel, but imo that's ok. Better to do it yourself than use someone elses so just stick with it.
>>
>>506212
I'm a Game Design major at Champlain. This campus is ridiculously nice and the area is the best. If you come you get a card that lets you into a hyper modern building called the CCM where theres 2 really great labs to work in. Might see you in there sometime?
>>
>>508212
First what jind of "company that specializes in weaponry" do you mean? weapon industry? The "we specialized in weaponry"-3d-company that sells 3d models of guns? Second, why would they explicitly need OP?
>>
>>507887
>You're just making weeb shit up now and posting a weeb image to boot.
Isn't 4chan supposed too be a weeb immageboard? Stop being a newfag
>>
>>508491
If I get accepted and get a decent financial package, then maybe. :^)
>>
>>506311
/k/ /3/ here it's called fluting
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.