[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i know we got like 2 other threads about gnomon but... any of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7
File: redGnomon[1].jpg (331 KB, 1200x600) Image search: [Google]
redGnomon[1].jpg
331 KB, 1200x600
i know we got like 2 other threads about gnomon but... any of you guys here gnomon graduates? how would you rate the school on a scale of 1-10 and how easy was it to find a job after graduating or did they have any programs to help you find a job or even an internship for a start?
>>
>Registration for Winter Term 2016 courses will open Monday, December 7th, 2015.

Are you fucking shitting me? A whole year to wait?
>>
>>503965

more like a month and 7 days
>>
>>503967
He means a whole year until you actually start, not just to register...

>>503965
Yes, considering this is the most sought after CG school in the world, you're lucky the waiting list isn't like 4 years.
>>
>>503969
>Yes, considering this is the most sought after CG school in the world

>artists going to school for art
>>
>>503970
>artists going to school for art

And? This isn't an argument about the merits of going to a school for art. I was simply stating a fact people do...
>>
File: photography_school_student.jpg (111 KB, 701x450) Image search: [Google]
photography_school_student.jpg
111 KB, 701x450
>>503972
basically this
>>
>>503965
nigga, winter classes for 2016 start after new year which is in 2016 you duck
>>
>>503973
even tho gnomon has a 94% placement rating and self thought artists have to struggle to make a name and prove they can handle studio jobs
>>
>>503965
the winter term starts in january, we are in the fall term right now until dec 12th
>>
>>503948
show your portfolio, i go there and have seen many of the peoples demos that have gotten in. i might be able to let you know if its even worth applying

i got in the 2 year when i was still in highschool and had to have them let me finish school before i could come. the next youngest person in my term is 26

the 2 year is really competitive and only takes ~10 people a semester

the 3 year takes a lot more people and is way easier to get into
>>
>>503993
yea cuz 2 year program takes already advanced students who don't need the basic and intro classes and drawing classes and goes straight to the good stuff.

while 3 year program starts from the basics.
tho to even get itno the 3 year program you need a bit of experience cant walk in there not knowing shit

you mind showing your portfolio that you used to get in?
>>
>>504061
i was told by the administration that the fact that i was so young and self taught was taken into account

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzo0VcIf_VE&ab_channel=CGMStudios
>>
>>504062

You did improve a lot.

I personally don't like your character work. It is really crappy.

I'm curious, do they teach you character art at gnomon as most of your characters are crappy. You would think you would have a piece that shows good anatomy skills.
>>
>>504076
He improved in technical abilitiy, but he has taken very, very little risks, and seems to have little "skill" if we can call it that,.
>>
File: bad.jpg (42 KB, 738x468) Image search: [Google]
bad.jpg
42 KB, 738x468
>>504077

I just don't like his lack of fundamentals.

Like this is his only zbrush model and it shows a lack of understand of anatomy, texturing and how to sculpt.

I don't get the point of even doing this character. They should be teaching him how to do anatomy of a male so he gets the fundamentals of anatomy down.
>>
File: soldier.png (2 MB, 2560x1080) Image search: [Google]
soldier.png
2 MB, 2560x1080
>>504076
>>504079
>>504077
i couldnt draw for shit when i got to the school, and had no clue about anything anatomy. ive learned so much about anatomy and sculpture since then. the demo with the wild star thing was my first attempt at sculpting 2 months into the program. ive gotten better since then, heres something from a later term
>>
>>504081
looks lame. You actually paid someone to teach you this?
>>
>>504084
Going from zero to that in a year or two really isn't bad anon.
>>
>>504091
Did your mom tell you that?
>>
>>504092
that wasnt me
>>
>>504092

it wasn't me either
>>
>>504081
Did they force you to model a generic soldier or did you choose that? because technical skill is alright, but if you're that unimaginative it might be a problem.
>>
>>504114
we were given a random picture of a soldier and told to research, find the reference for that period and country soldier and model it.
and we were not supposed to pose it either
>>
>>504062
drop the music. I just muted it. Nothing in your reel kept my attention, skipped through a lot.

I guess that's why you're a student
>>
>>504062
If that got you into Gnomon I just lost all respect desu.
I go to a mid-tier art school and they would laugh at this.
>>
>>504136
To eleborate.

They would tell you to take the pre-course to teach you design, animation and film principles and you might be able to enroll next year.
But they only send young kids who they feel sorry for there.
Being young and self-thought is an advantage, because that gives you an excuse to be ignorant but your drawing is shit and your 3D has no inspiration at all. It's just game stuff and shiny logos.

How I know this? I was in the entrance committee for 3 years.
>>
>>504137
Yeah, i know its all game items, logos and shiney shit. Because i was doing my own freelance "company" and all my clients were people who wanted itle work. All i knew how to do was model in nurbs and make title animations. I was using c4d and didnt know how to smooth polygons so i thought they were useless and never messed with them. I taught myself everything i knew up to the point i went to gnomon, i had no idea that people DIDNT model in nurbs. They didnt let me in off of skill, they accepted me off of dedication and saw potential of what i could do with actual formal training
>>
>>504182
>dedication
>not knowing how to poly model

Look, I bet you learn a lot at Gnomon and that your future will be alright. Just that I thought Gnomon had an insanely high admission standard. Thanks for sharing though.
>>
>>504202
>no training
>taught myself
i was better with nurbs and didnt understand how to smooth polygons. but i could model with them it would just end up looking like a golf ball, so i never used them

i lived in a town of 3,000 people, there were no 3d classes i could take anywhere within 3 hours of my house ( which i wouldnt have been able to pay for anyway) . I was 16 and didnt have a job so there was no way for me to purchase tutorials that were not some other 16 year old kid showing more shit about text in c4d. i would sit at home every night after school for my junior and senior year just messing with cinema playing around with tools. when something looked cool i would use camtasia and make tutorials for myself so i could go back and watch them if i forgot later down the road. i did the most with what i could, gnomon had a few calls with me and we went over how i was going to be severely behind in terms of skill but that they were willing to take the risk since they knew how much time and energy i spent every day. and were frankly impressed with what i could do just by fucking with the program by myself

>>
they do have an insanely high admission standard, but i guess because of all the shit said above they were willing to let me slide. all of the people in my class had impressive shit already coming in. i had to work my ass of this year to just get to the level everybody else is at.
>>
File: 1449197808428.jpg (15 KB, 638x361) Image search: [Google]
1449197808428.jpg
15 KB, 638x361
>>504208
>i lived in a town of 3,000 people, there were no 3d classes i could take anywhere within 3 hours of my house ( which i wouldnt have been able to pay for anyway) . I was 16 and didnt have a job so there was no way for me to purchase tutorials that were not some other 16 year old kid showing more shit about text in c4d. i would sit at home every night after school for my junior and senior year just messing with cinema playing around with tools.

Dude, are you for real? You need to shut da fuck up
>>
File: 111.png (1 KB, 157x27) Image search: [Google]
111.png
1 KB, 157x27
>>504211
about what? being a kid that couldnt afford training so i tried to figure the shit out myself.
>>
>>504212
About being a tool who didn't think to just pirate one of the plethora of tutorials out there, or better yet, use better software like Maya that had a shit-tonne more free-tutorials for you to learn from that actually are quality content. This showed you had no true ambition, you blamed your lack of progress on things costing money and there being no schooling, when in reality the internet provided you with all the means to learn possible, without it costing a thing, you were just too lazy and chose to just waste time fiddling around in the software because it took no real effort to do so.
>>
>>504220
just because i want able to torrent everything i wanted dosnt mean i didnt have ambition man... why else would i spend all of my free time in a 3d program instead of playing video games or watching tv. i wanted to get better so i finished my homework as soon as i got home from school and spent the rest of the day in the program, then i would cook dinner somewhere in there. 3d was so much fun for me. I had no idea 3d is what i was going to do for college untill a few months before i graduated highschool. I wanted to become a cook, but something changed and i was head first into wanting to do 3d for college. 3d was what i did for fun, 3d was my hobby. but yeah, knowing that its what i really wanted to do now. i probably would have asked my parents to pay for some online tutorials and maybe not ground me for torrenting things.
>>
>>504227
>why else would i spend all of my free time in a 3d program instead of playing video games or watching tv.

There's a difference between being interested and having ambition. You were interested enough to prefer spending your time in the program fiddling with things because it was interesting to you, but you lacked the ambition/drive to actually put serious effort into that interest. It doesn't take effort to just diddle around everyday in the program and learn enough to make a few amateur looking things.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.