[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just started using unity. What do you guys think of my scene so far?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: d2b55SyH.png (2 MB, 1870x1006) Image search: [Google]
d2b55SyH.png
2 MB, 1870x1006
Just started using unity. What do you guys think of my scene so far?
>>
ps2 tier
>>
Where are the shadows
>>
>>503368
I wish I could get to ps2 tier at least, noob here

Looks good OP, keep it up
>>
>>503367
Never look to others for adulation, only wisdom and criticism. You must value yourself apart from the quality of your work. There is no shame though in taking pride in doing a good job.
>>
>>503367
nice. I am no where near that level. Congrats.
>>
Just started you say? I applaud you, it is much better than my scene when I was just starting...
>>
>>503369
Behind a $1500 paywall.
>>
>>503368
This
>>
There are 3 different ground textures, means you have 3 different materials, which is not really optimal. You should have used one material with two textures and vertex blending (Just can't remember what it is called)

Also how many materials did you use on that hut? I hope it's not a new material for every little piece of texture and I hope that not every barrel and every type of crate uses its own material.
>>
>>503385
What is this? 2008? Since Unity 5 you have nearly everything included even without pro.
>>
Thanks Guys! I need to sort the ground textures out desu. theyre really off
>>
>>503368
ps2!?! i was going to N64 but thanks man!!
>>
>>503424
My mistake, I don't keep up-to-date on dreadful engines.
>>
>>503431
You should. I had the same kind of thinking in the past, but some things change drastically over the years, Unity is one of those things.
>>
since you just started there's no point in criticizing you as if you were making AAA environment art, but here's some thoughts aimed at beginners.

first, the scene lacks contrast. the scene is flat, all areas are somewhat equally lit. try using different lighting, for example make the scene much darker (there's no sun, very little light would penetrate that kind of fog/cloudy weather) but use a bright spotlight ontop of the house shining down infront of the door. this will create contrast in your scene (dark vs light areas) which pulls the eyes of viewers towards areas of attention.

second, your models are WAY too low poly for todays standards. even for a beginner, you have to push the geometry detail much further. for example that wooden crate on the right - it's just a flat texture. don't do that, instead model the entire thing in 3d (the big pieces of wood on the sides etc.). same with the barrel and the rest.

third, everything looks very blocky. all of your models have a very flat silhouette due to the lack of detail in them. everything is perfectly straight with no changes in curvature. for example look at the wood pillars on your shack, they are perfectly straight. wood is not like that, it has lots of little ripples and bumps on it. this is so often overlooked by beginners, and they often make the mistake of then going too far and adding a ton of really deep dents to everything. just look at pro environment art and see how far they go with it.

there's a lot more i could talk about but it's not really worth mentioning if you're a beginner since you won't start doing that kind of stuff until much later. just remember never to give up no matter how shit your situation may seem or when nothing seems to work. trust me when i say it gets better over time. years from now you can look back at your old work and smile as you see how much you improve over time when you never give up. i've been there.
>>
>>503367
Looks about fallout 4 tier
Good job OP, you just proved how talentless Bethesda really is, that even a beginner can make something that looks like their game
>>
>>503554
>second, your models are WAY too low poly for todays standards
it's not, just the texturing is off
>>
>>503579

Bethesda is known for exploiting mod communities to do all the hard work for them. So stfu and enjoy the game.
>>
>>503618
>Bethesda is known for exploiting mod communities to do all the hard work for them.

This is true. So anyone playing fallout 4 at this point in time is really a huge noob. One should wait like 12 months until the nexus fixes the game.
>>
>>503621
>>503618
>Playing a Bethesda game for the graphics
kekm8, thanks for the laugh.

You don't play a Bethesda game because of cutting edge visuals, you play them for the actual gameplay. The great experience their open world approach provides.
>>
>>503634
I have 380 hours on record for my skyrim alone. I'll be the first to tell you these games suck in so many ways.
The gameplay itself is just absolutely awful. What it has going for it is the hilariously broken AI that keeps delivering unexpected and insane responses.

It has this unintentional Monty Pythonesque LARP style, cringe worthy, overacted dialogue that just keeps deliving golden moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDnnxI_9sPA this kind of stuff is what a bethesda game is all about.
>>
>>503637
>I have 380 hours on record for my skyrim alone
> I'll be the first to tell you these games suck in so many ways.
If you're willing to put that much time into a game, then the game does not suck. A game does not suck just because it does not compare graphically to other similar games, nor because it has bugs. A game sucks depending on whether you enjoy it or not.
>>
>If you're willing to put that much time into a game, then the game does not suck.

If I enjoy shooting heroin up my arm, I cannot say that heroin is to be considered bad right?
Humans do strange things for strange reasons. Playing piece of shit games for hours on end is pretty low on the weird spectrum.

>A game does not suck just because it does not compare graphically to other similar games

This is a non-argument because Skyrim on PC was one of the most gorgeous games of it's time thanks to the
ENB plugins the community created. Some models in the game where objectivly butt ugly but it's shortcommings have very little to do with it's graphics.

>nor because it has bugs.

As I've stated the buggy AI is one of the games best attractions.
You can't run from one side of the map to the other without witnessing something that will make your eyes tear with laughter.
The Radiant AI isjust beatifully broken, but what makes it so good is purly accidental so you can't really praise Bethesda for it.

>A game sucks depending on whether you enjoy it or not.

Subtract the graphics and they've essentially kept on making the same game since Morrow Wind.
The combat, physics, animation and dialogue are all absolute shit tier compared to that of other contemporary titles.
This is like an objective truth and hard science fact of nature, you can't even argue about it, 10 out of 9 professors will agree with this statement.
>>
>>503683
>If I enjoy shooting heroin up my arm, I cannot say that heroin is to be considered bad right?
stopped reading here
>>
>>503638
The most painful thing about Elder Scrolls games is that they tend to have enough potential - particularly in the lore and environment art - that they're able to keep you interested for a long time even though the mechanics are dull (Combat especially) and most of the elements - skills in particular - seem to only be developed to the bare minimum required to make them work. It's stuff that could be fixed in 2-5 months if you had a team headed by a good designer and access to the engine's code, as well. If they took the time to polish their games, they could easily be the best action RPGs ever released and you have to either be too dumb to care or trying really hard to not notice all of the games' shortcomings.
>>
>>503367
CS:CZ/10
>>
>>503431
>dreadful engines
Let's see your engine and game.
>>
>>503634
>The great experience their open world approach provides.
Oh man that's a good one anon, I chuckled for a solid minute
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.