[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how do i achieve a smooth floating intersection like this one?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 10
File: nGbVY2G.png (252 KB, 830x555) Image search: [Google]
nGbVY2G.png
252 KB, 830x555
how do i achieve a smooth floating intersection like this one? (working with max)
>>
dunno op just try shit

click on everything
>>
>>503180
duplicate pipe
smooth the copy
boolean the intersection
clean up
remove the rest of the pipe
>>
add more geometry on the lower part to define the curve in greater detail. that way when you subdivide it there is less 'guess work' and it will follow the curve of the tiny part on top of it nicely.
>>
>>503180

Build the whole thing out of one less detailed model, then use Turbosmooth or Meshsmooth (Nurms).
>>
>>503185
this, ofcourse union boolean
>>
You have to create more vertex in the bottom part of the pipe, maybe using swift loop in editable poly or creating you own vertex in the same mode.
>>
>>503180
zen tools
>>
File: fgeom.png (702 KB, 1009x767) Image search: [Google]
fgeom.png
702 KB, 1009x767
>>503180
>>503180
Why is everyone suggesting boolean?
When it's clearly floating geometry, OP is probably trolling.
>>
>>503466
This
>>
>>503466
You clearly just misunderstood the post. He's asking how to accomplish that shape on the bottom. Ideally you want the base of the knob to perfectly align to the cylinder.
>>
>>503466
that's exactly what am asking and nobody seems to get it. how do i wrap the extruded edges of that knob on top of the pipe so that i conforms perfectly to it without producing any seams?

also, how am i "probably trolling?"
>>
>>503466
Because that is the right answer to make seamless floating geometry. If you're too retarded to understand the answer that's not my problem.
Keep being a scrub.
>>
File: Untitled1.jpg (183 KB, 1609x925) Image search: [Google]
Untitled1.jpg
183 KB, 1609x925
quads are great.
>>
File: Untitled2.jpg (195 KB, 1391x921) Image search: [Google]
Untitled2.jpg
195 KB, 1391x921
>>
>>503569
>>503571
yeah, now conform the knob to the pipe as a floating geometry (which this thread is about), not as a boolean cleanup
>>
>duplicate floating objects
>join them phyically, like everyone else is talking about
>combine floating objects into one
>bake normals
>>
>>503180
this would have been extremely easy to do the normal way, but no, this lazy fuck had to use a floater. why is everybody so incompetent
>>503188
no shit. and never use meshsmooth is not 2004 anymore
>>503569
this is bad for various reasons
>>503511
they don't get it cuz people on this board are fucking retards who have no clue about anything related to 3d. various methods from the top of my head, i don't use max but the controls should be named more or less like this:
-manually move the vertices of the base of the knob with snap and and axis constraint
-use conform brushes from the graphite tools
-download itoo software "glue" free plugin. you must have it anyway. glue a circle spline to that half pipe. take this curved circle spline and model the knob from that
>>
File: learntopology28.png (146 KB, 1272x2403) Image search: [Google]
learntopology28.png
146 KB, 1272x2403
holy fucking cow how can the people on this board be so incompetent. here is the boolean process explained step by step.
Damn lazyfags you'd better take the time to learn stuff after I took my time to explain.
b-bakas
>>
>>503606
Jesus, why all the effort? Just take 1 face loop, shrink wrap it to the base cylinder, freeze transforms, then extrude upwards.
>>
File: wrapJoin.jpg (217 KB, 1920x554) Image search: [Google]
wrapJoin.jpg
217 KB, 1920x554
>>503608
I thought i'd try this just to make sure it actually works. Pretty good result i think, and took about 20 seconds. though idk how well texturing would go.
>>
File: seamlessly my ass.jpg (40 KB, 213x161) Image search: [Google]
seamlessly my ass.jpg
40 KB, 213x161
>>503606
> seamlessly
it's shit. and you just used a matte shader. it's gonna be much more apparent when you use a reflective material.
learn how to use proper topology rather than floating cucq blebizm
>>
>>503617
This happens because I moved it slightly up.
But it is irrelevant, if you know how projection works.
For baking purposes, it is seamless.

>>503608
I know there are quicker ways that are just as good or better. This one tho isn't software specific, relies less on automation and requires some planning ahead so imho it's like teaching how to fish vs giving the man a fish
>>
File: S0a6YHG.png (115 KB, 830x425) Image search: [Google]
S0a6YHG.png
115 KB, 830x425
>>503180
found the guy who made it. booleans are overrated
>>
>>503630
who overrates booleans? They're terrible. Booleans are for casuals who don't know how to poly model.
>>
File: nurutu.jpg (77 KB, 500x705) Image search: [Google]
nurutu.jpg
77 KB, 500x705
>>503663
believe it!
>>
Would not be as simple as connecting 4 sides to make a cross, then chamfer the intersection with enough sides, extrude up, yadda yadda...
>>
>>503663
They're also for Rhino users.

Source: am forced to use Rhino in a CAD class
>>
>>503739
I thought Rhino was primarily used for nurbs modelling. is that not the case? It seems pointless to use it for polygon modelling. Regardless, needing to use booleans just shows a lack of tool knowledge and how to manually model.
>>
>>503746
Rhino does NURBS boolean. It's not just a polygon operation.
>>
>>503749
I am aware of this, which is why i specifically said poly modelling originally.
>>
>>503601
Are you retarded?
It doesn't matter how you do the job, just that you do it
>>
>>503763
I type vert co ords into notepad. It doesn't matter that it takes me 2 months to model something that should take 2 days, because i did it.

>are you retarded
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.