[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /3 We have to make a bike for an assignement (I don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 10
File: progressRender6.png (316 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
progressRender6.png
316 KB, 1280x720
Hi /3

We have to make a bike for an assignement (I don't think I'm the first to post one here) , but I have no sense of color.

Not asking to be spoonfed. Maybe just pointers in how to harmonize shape and color. Consider I'm at the level of a child grabbing wax crayons for the first time.
>>
>>502147
Well, if it looks like a mess if you look at it zoomed out, then it's not working. Your colors (and values) should break up the motorcycle in an interesting way that helps the design and/or form read. this is design 101 so I don't know where you'd start, start reading up on color theory and reading some design books or something. Concept art books like Skillfull Huntsman are good for this stuff too.

But basically: Your camouflage is adding noise that makes the design hard to read. Your accent colors are kinda all over, there's no unity to them. Your shapes in general when viewed at thumbnail size are too small. I tried to use words you can google if you add "design" to it in google
>>
Its supposed to be floating right? Looks more like a snowmobile atm tbqh senpai. Were you trying to make it look kinda like a dragonfly? I like that, keep working and make it look more like a flying machine and less like a snowmobile.
>>
File: 1445289187245.jpg (55 KB, 345x359) Image search: [Google]
1445289187245.jpg
55 KB, 345x359
>bike
>>
>>502151
Alright, my english is not that good. Motorbike ? Hover bike ? Bike is just the thing with pedals isn't.

>>502149

I'll check that out right away. Thanks a lot.

Also I don't think that a camouflage theme was the best idea after all. As you said, I can't really add details now since it gets gobbled up by the erratic paint scheme.

>>502150

I was thinking that once I had exhaust glow and a ground shadow it would be more obvious.
>>
>>502149
https://kendalcollegeart.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/the_skillful_huntsman.pdf just to make sure, this is it ?
>>
>>502147
https://color.adobe.com
Babby's first color palettes
getting colors that work together well is the first step, and black white and red don't go that well together unless you're a joke about a zebra bleeding while reading a newspaper
>>
>>502211
Thanks for the link, BM'ed.
>>
>>502154
Yeah, that's it.Late reply but I've been busy
>>
File: 20130304215243-50094-zonda-s.jpg (19 KB, 422x273) Image search: [Google]
20130304215243-50094-zonda-s.jpg
19 KB, 422x273
>>502211
black white and red can actually work well together with the right proportions.
>>
File: progressRender8.png (350 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
progressRender8.png
350 KB, 1280x720
>>502480
It's a nice read so far.

>>502481

I think the issue was that the red highlights were all over the place and didn't contribute to the shape, like anon said. In your picture the red accents are a lot more subtle.
>>
File: Motorcycle-DreamMachine.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1619) Image search: [Google]
Motorcycle-DreamMachine.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1619
>>502575

This is looking better. I'd look at snowmobiles / motorcycles to define some materials other than your black painted metal. Like making the frame titanium or something, or your canisters brushed aluminium, or plate some things in chrome. You want to be careful with your values after so that it doesn't add too much noise to your design though.

For machines, I like to sort materials by function or layer, like frame, shell, actuators as different materials. Or deepest layers, middle layers, and shell as different material, etc. Sorting it this way will help make your model more believable and gives you a guideline for picking materials.

Even if you want to keep it mostly black, vary the hue/value/sat/roughness/metallicity just a little bit to get more material definition out of it.

If you look at the pic I attached, this motorcycle's frame parts are metal that's painted orange, the engine and heavily-stressed connections (like on the wheel axle) are titanium, the brakes are brushed aluminium, there's anodized bits, and the shell is another material.
>>
>>502633

I wanted to add that generally there are unpainted metal bits regardless of how much metal on a machine is painted / anodized, though. I think that's what you're missing, mostly. If you wanted to texture it you should add a little bit of grime, too. oil attracts dirt.
>>
>>502481
>>502211

Black white and red goes together real well you clueless bastards, it's just generally avoided because it invokes instant association with the fucking nazis.
>>
>>502211
Also: black white and any color goes well together because black and white is value, not hue.
>>
>>502633

I see. I definitely need to adjust the texture and value of the mechanical parts, especially the struts.

Right now there are only three materials assigned. The fuselage, the metal frame and then a grey lambert.
>>
File: comp.jpg (280 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
comp.jpg
280 KB, 1280x720
>>502633

I added a bit of non-painted surfaces (tried) but I hit a wall where I realized that I need to learn first a bit more about rendering.
>>
>>502147
>>>boards.4chan.org/ic/thread/2291905/how-can-someone-with-no-knowledge-of-mechanics
>>
>>503598
BM'ed, is there any part you think I should rework first ?
>>
Lose the shitty digital camo, lose the red. In what circumstance would you need red in a camo? Digital camo is for human-made structures, and what human made structures are coloured red? Even in a fictional world nobody would justify making an environment red enough that camo for that place would be red. Personally i would just say "ok this is no longer some scout/militatry vehicle, i'll just make it aesthetically pleasing."
>>
File: mustafarSW.jpg (159 KB, 1368x737) Image search: [Google]
mustafarSW.jpg
159 KB, 1368x737
>>503609
I was thinking about a planet like this but I guess you are right.
>>
File: cyry_moto_v02.jpg (223 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
cyry_moto_v02.jpg
223 KB, 960x540
Alright, so I dumped the camo and went for more traditional paint stripes.
>>
>>504787
Much better now.
>>
>>504787

MUCH better, you could have maybe a dark grey outline of medium-large camo blobs layered under everything else.
>>
>>504787
I'm almost not convinced you're the same guy who made the original shitty bike. The PBR shaders help a lot.
>>
>>504834

All I know about PBR is what the acronym stands for. I simply started using mental ray materials
>>
>>504834
That and I made an occlusion pass.
>>
>>504835
mental ray is a physically based renderer, so it has physically based shaders/materials.
>>
>>504838
Yes, we only very recently learned in class about the "energy conservation" concept, where a material can't reflect more than it receives (which is not that easy to do with the default materials, at least for noobs)

PBR materials + the hdri of a sunset + an occlusion pass is all I added.
>>
>>504839
and you drastically improved the textures, at least from last time i saw it.
>>
>>504879
mental ray materials have some pretty awesome presets
>>
>>504839
Turn on Final Gathering with 2 or 3 "Secondary Diffuse Bounces" if you haven't already.
>>
File: cyry_moto_v02.png (507 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
cyry_moto_v02.png
507 KB, 960x540
Alright I handed it in.

Thanks /3/, great insight
>>
>>506078
looks terrible. Literally photoshop bloom, the png
>>
>>506081
I knew I went overboard with the glow.

But when I tried to tweak saturation or value, it just washed out.
>>
>>506082
Don't think the bloom looks that bad, I mean who the fuck is to tell just how much some antigrav thrust vectoring plate thingy is supposed to glow?

Other anon just stepped on the /v/-tier anti-bloom bandwagon.
>>
>>506078
One thing I'm having trouble understanding is how a human would sit in this thing.
>>
>>506083
I was initiated to compositing only a few weeks ago, I can understand the image is unbalanced and or falls into some cliches.

But the glow really gave me headaches for this project, I should have just gotten rid of it. Only the hue could be adjusted, if I touched anything else it'd fade out.
>>
File: cyry_conceptArt_1.jpg (175 KB, 1178x989) Image search: [Google]
cyry_conceptArt_1.jpg
175 KB, 1178x989
>>506084
It doesn't look like the original concept art intended for the drive to stay seated.
>>
>>506086
Man that concept art bothers me, from a design point of view

>giant machine to carry a tiny person
>driver is completely exposed
>machine looks like it has almost no room to carry anything else
>all those exposed joints and moving parts that would absolutely be destroyed by rain, wind, and sand
>tiny headlight / gun thing with a very small gimbal (otherwise the driver is going to fall off the vehicle)
>looks extremely uncomfortable to operate if it doesn't float / fly
>if it does float, those retarded ski things / VTAL things mean you need to be like 7 feet off the ground
>>
>>506107
Also, notice the fuselage near the big intake at the front. It doesn't have the same shape on both sides.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.