[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do resources on 3D character animation seem so limited? Even
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: mb.png (81 KB, 1211x852) Image search: [Google]
mb.png
81 KB, 1211x852
Why do resources on 3D character animation seem so limited? Even the sticky is pretty scarce in information on the subject, and the vast majority of guides seem to just run over the UI of a given package and little to nothing on techniques.

Is there really nothing else to it? Just brute force and attention to detail?
>>
just move your NURBS curves and set keys, butthead
>>
>>501520
I guess it makes sense. They wouldn't be able to outsource this kind of thing to unskilled koreans if it took any kind of advanced input.
>>
>>501521
like what? Wiggle your ear around? Are you trollin?
>>
>>501522
Are you? There's more to drawing than "push pencil on paper", it's perfectly reasonable to assume 3D animation would be a similar case. What do fags who take entire courses on this even study?
>>
>>501523
You is trollin!
>>
>>501526
Ebin.
>>
The techniques are the same as 2D animation. Learn traditional animation.
Animator survival kit. Pretty surre that is in the sticky
>>
>>501519
Resources on 3D animation is limited because it's a very high level art to get into. That is to animate well you will need good rigs and content available just to get started.
Not many people are even proficient enough to say much substantial on this topic since the bulk of animation work in the industry is team colaborations revolving heavy around motioncapture systems.

For handmade animation the subject is hard to cover in written tutorials and too lengthy a process to demonstrate very well even on video.
Making proper animation tutorials is a lot more labor intensive and edit-heavy, and requires a much more thought out approach than say showing someone how to model stuff.
Because it's hard to package in a digestive form it's more the kind of thing you'd mentor someone to do. Not something you'd whip up in your spare time and post for free on the internet.

On the art side, animation in general, is one of those things where the basics of the subject is really all there is to it.
It's very simple to pick up to get started out, yet these core basics need to be implemented so subtly that you will need to just grind your craft endlessly untill you've really mastered them.
>>
>>501536
I'll be sure to give that a look, thanks.

>>501537
I had a feeling, or rather was hoping, that it was something like this. I wasn't sure whether the lack of material was because of an extremely low or extremely high bar to meet, but for obvious reasons I'd certainly prefer a high ceiling (and floor) over a low one. I greatly appreciate the clarification, I can dive into this much more comfortably knowing there's a lot of room for growth.

Do you think it's worthwhile to dig into professional-grade learning material (IE university textbooks) or is pure practice the best/most reliable method?
>>
>>501539
This field is really too young for academia to hold much knowledge on the topic.
It's not like with fine arts where you have this tremendeous heritage and institutions founded that have spent time packiging the craft into a sellable commodity.
The generation that started 3D animation is still living today and typically active working on projects for the games and film industry rather than any teaching capacity.

Courses you find at Vancover Film School or Gnomon is probably the closest to a one shop stop for getting your hands on structured learning material.
But otherwise all kinds of resources are scattered around the net. Places like lynda have animation course too but they're typically produced by very unproficient riggers and animators.

If you want good information the best way is to pick up the basics from whereever just so you're familiar with the vocabulary and problems associated with 3D animation.
Then start reading threads from the backlog of discussions between animators on top cgi forums to start getting more initiated and finding the most relevant learning resources.
>>
>>501542
>This field is really too young for academia to hold much knowledge on the topic.

troll, you move sliders and set keys to get a 2d result. 3d animation results in a 2d result. This 2d animation has been going on for over 100 years.
>>
>>501548
Afraid I gottat be the asshole to inform you that 3D animation takes place in three dimensions anon.
It's different from traditional animation in that it is interpolated mathematically across the key-frames to produce continuous smooth motion.
Animating 3D will have you spend a lot of your time shaping interpolation curves in the graph editor and finding rigging solutions that restrict linear and rotatinal motions to controlable axises.

All of this will affect how you go about things even if you make animation for a known camera angle in a film.
If you animate for real-time you ofcourse don't even know just how the shot is gonna be framed so things must look right from any angle.
>>
>>501579
3d takes place after the storyboards are done, m8y. It only works from one angle.
>>
>>501598
>what is any media that uses a 3d environment
You might as well say the world is just a 2d result.
>>
>>501519
Check out 11secondclub (the critiques). There's a lot of stuff around you just have to dig. In terms of "techniques" there isn't much besides the 12 principles and applying them well. So past that it's understanding the craft further artistically.

http://www.navone.org/HTML/Tutorials.htm
http://www.carlosbaena.com/anim_material.html
>>
File: Yury_Dovganuk-bce80.jpg (531 KB, 1200x1348) Image search: [Google]
Yury_Dovganuk-bce80.jpg
531 KB, 1200x1348
do you guys use endorphin for animation?
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfnwmBICRnc
that guy made an "animation pack"
>http://www.mediafire.com/download/spjj6tqdnqv4bwp/Faex+Editing's+3D+Editing+Pack.zip
>>
I'm interested in 3D animation as a job, but my question is, do you have to know how to draw?
Or really, what level of drawing is required in the industry?
I can draw alright, I can draw my own storyboard and key poses and I think I have a pretty good sense of design, anatomy, and composition in theory, but I couldn't animate in 2D or really have my 2D stuff stand up in its own right.
>>
>>501836
drawing helps, but it's not required, your 3d animation demo reel is what they look at, and it's what they expect out of you as an employee.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.