[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linux 3D modeling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: download (1).jpg (6 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
6 KB, 225x225
Im in a 3D modeling class in school, we use 3Ds max, maya, Autodesk inventor, and a few others but on my computer I am running ubuntu 15.04 at home and none of the software I use at school has Linux support. What should I do, What are some alternatives?
>>
/thread
>>
>>501158
And why can't you just use Windows?
>>
I cant afford it right now :(
>>
>>501161
Pirate Windows 7, then initiate the Windows 10 upgrade which is free even for pirated users. Tada, you now own a legal copy of Windows 10.

If you don't want to bother though, just fucking pirate Win7 or 10 and get on with your life. Millions upon millions of other people do it, you have absolutely no worries...
>>
>>501158

Install windows, it's basically a course requirement.
>>
>>501167
Ah, thanks for the heads up. Didn't realize you could do that.
>>
>>501175
Yea better dual boot with windows, if you have any activation issues of any kind try KMSPico.
>>
>>501175
Or buy an old used Win7 for like 20 bucks and upgrade to Win10.
>>
>>501199
bad advice, 20 bucks licenses are not legal, none of the money goes to microsoft, as far as they're concerned you don't have a license.

Installing 7, activating it then updating it to 10 will grant you a working legit license all the same, except it'll be free.
>>
Maya theoretically supports "boutique distributions of Linux", it should work on ubantoo
>>
>>501158
Blender. It's not as bad as you think it is. It's just that if you're used to 3DS/Maya/etc, it takes a bit of getting used to.
>>
>>501308

If you go this route, either compile it yourself (use the make-deps script!) or download a build from graphicall or builder.blender.org. The blender that's in the Ubuntu repos is lacking a lot of features.

I've never used Maya, but there is a Maya preset in File->User Preferences->Input. I'm sure it won't act exactly like Maya (and the keys will be different than tutorials), but it might help if you find yourself getting your fingers mixed up.
>>
>>501158
WINE
>>
Schools that have purchased academic Volume Licensing from Microsoft offer Windows 10 for free to their students. Check if your school has a student discount software page.
>>
File: 1415923420131.jpg (8 KB, 283x200) Image search: [Google]
1415923420131.jpg
8 KB, 283x200
>>501326
>reducing your performance and increasing bug potential just so you can be 100% autist and use only Linux
>not realizing that by using Wine, you're essentially using Windows and supporting Windows products, thus defeating any point you had about using Linux.
>>
File: Son-this-is-bait.jpg (20 KB, 620x625) Image search: [Google]
Son-this-is-bait.jpg
20 KB, 620x625
>>501338
>>
maya has a linux version, many big studios like pixar/disney use it on linux.
>>
>>501390
much harder to install linux version than windows version (cracked version)
>>
>>501391

Do they not have student editions of the Linux version?

This guy's a student, he shouldn't need to run cracked anything.

Besides, "hard to install" is relative. If this guy runs Linux only, there's a good chance he won't have too much of a problem with it.

I'm sure he'd have an easier time installing it than installing Windows (with virus scan / spyware tool / updates that take forever / other misc. software) and then Maya.
>>
>>501404
>Do they not have student editions of the Linux version?
Nope. Win/mac only.
>>
>>501158
I think Maya has support fo CentOS
>>
rgb 0.75 0.5 0.25 glossy
>>
>>501407

Ah. Pity.

Looking at winehq's app database, Maya apparently doesn't do well under WINE. Blender with Maya keybindings might be your best bet.
>>
>>501421
Are you fucking RETARDED? He should use Modo which has a native linux version and very easy to install / pirate
>>
>>501421
>>501428
Or you guys could stop being fucktards and just accept that if you want to do 3D, you're better off just installing Windows.
>>
What the fuck are you guys talking about? I'm running the student edition of Maya 2014 right now on Debian using instructions that were made for Ubuntu.

"Download" the Windows edition and you'll get a license for Maya that works with the Linux edition.

Do this http://askubuntu.com/questions/392806/installing-maya-on-ubuntu-linux
>>
it's not rocket science to run modo, maya et al on linux, even most pirated versions on the net just work...
>>
>>501428

Modo, Blender, so what? He didn't list either one as being software used by the school, so the only advantage Modo has is that it's "not Blender."

>>501441

Or you could stop being a fucktard and accept that OP might have reasons for only running Linux.

>>501455

Good to know.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.