[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello, I'm very new to 3D modeling and I'm studying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
Hello, I'm very new to 3D modeling and I'm studying C4D right now.
Any tips on how to realize these "bending" on the side of these object?
>>
File: cubes.png (72 KB, 1485x833) Image search: [Google]
cubes.png
72 KB, 1485x833
make cube
bring in general shape
bevel the edges
make assload of loopcuts
one one edge of the cube selsect every second loopcut and move further inside the cube to get your "wriples"
use subdivision modifier or whatever its called in cinema4d and subdivide the fuck out of it
>>
>>500756
Thanks man! I'll buy you a beer someday!
>>
File: screenFetch-2015-11-04_20-12-47.png (129 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2015-11-04_20-12-47.png
129 KB, 1680x1050
I am also new to 3d modeling.
Is doing something like this OK or is is going to fuck me over when I want to do anything with the model?
And by that I mean the faces with a bunch of edges at different points in 3d space like I have around the middle of the leg area.
>>
>>500791
anything that is not a polygon or a triangle can be called an n-gon, n represents a variable. the program might turn it into triangles, which is what game engines convert quads to. it is always best to only stick to quads and triangles in your model in case of some export errors happening, also i have had blender crash when i dealt with n-gons and modifiers. every time i spawn a cylinder i delete both n-gons and click 2 neighboring vertices and hold f for each side to fill it in, or just fill it with triangles.
>>
also, you should aim to model everything especially organic things in a kind of grid fashion made of only polygons to keep it organised and unwrap straight, your model should be made of edge loops too
>>
>>500806
>grid fashion made of only polygons
terrible explanation.

Here's a better one:
Mathematically speaking, subdivision algorithms and other deformation algorithms (animation) are designed to work with rectangular, flat quads.
In other words, any area of a model that requires large amounts of deformation, such as a corner on a subdivided piece, or an elbow on a human arm, should only use rectangular-shaped and flat quads. Anything else will cause unexpected results.

If you happen to be modeling an area that sees little deformation, and is more focused on the silhouette, such as a human forehead, then it's possible to use tris to merge strips of quads together in order to save polys. Not much deformation happens at the top of the forehead, no one's gonna notice if it deforms weirdly there.
>>
>>500805

A polygon does not mean "quad".

Polygon is literally any surface made out of multiple points. A tri is a polygon, a quad is a polygon, a fucking Ngon is still a polygon.
>>
>>500791

Why are you using Wings3d? Are you trying to limit yourself and make things more of a hassle than it needs to be on purpose? Also the 4 windows interface with xyz view and free view is outdated as fuck, you cant see shit, its finicky and strains the eyes more and its slower.

Just get Blender.
>>
>>500831
Wings3D is actually a nice companion app, so long as you're not using it as your main. It has a lot of neat functions that other 3D software don't have.
>>
>>500756

mmmh still here, I tried it just today and not sure about the last part.
After I made all the loopcuts with the knife I can extrude them inside or outside or rotate them but it doesn't give the same effect :/

are you still around?
>>
>>500805
>>500806
>>500809
Thanks, anon.
>>500831
I'm using wings because wings worked and blender didn't. I'll fix the problem sometime, I just wanted to work on something without the hassle for the time being.
>>
>>500831

I used to like Wings for hard surface stuff.

I do all my modeling in Blender now, but I sometimes find myself missing some of the features of Wings.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.