[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whats up with my weights? (Autodesk Maya 2016)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
My rig deforms properly (with a few exceptions being the forearm) but when trying to paint the weights on the rig it shows up with the weights unevenly spread all throughout the rig?

Why is this happening? is it worth re painting the weights or is there a simpler solution to this?

>pic related (its the rig with the bad weights)
>>
git gud
>>
File: 1423017713462.jpg (6 KB, 252x240) Image search: [Google]
1423017713462.jpg
6 KB, 252x240
>>500534
>>
>>500532
Use Geodesic Voxel Bind when you do the initial skinng.
But anyways, just paint away the influence you don't want. If it works, it works.
>>
>>500532
Only ever add weighting to a model. If you ever take it away, Maya assigns the weight you removed to a random bone in the skeleton. This means you should never, ever, ever use the subtract functionality.

You can avoid this by allowing non-normalised weighting while you paint, but be sure to normalise it once you're done.
>>
>>500538
>random bone
what the fuck?
>>
>>501516
A vertex cannot by nature be weighted less than 100 percent. This can be spread over multiple bones though. So if you try to remove some influence then it allocates the leftover to another bone it may seem appropriate. If a vert had less than 100 percent allocated it would be static or move slowly through the air as it interpolated between the bones locdtion and the coordinate it started at. Since there is no way to appropriately control this effect they decided to not let you do it.
>>
>>501525
Ya can actually juke it to give you less than 100 percent control but instead of.interpolation between the bones position and the starting position it interpolate between the bones position and the object origin. A thoroughly undesirable affect.
>>
>>501516
>>501525

this is true. maya skinning is fuck retarded and unintuitive to basically everyone. also undoing can sometimes cause your weights to randomly get distributed everywhere on your model to random vertices.

I recommend ngskintools. it's free and maya SHOULD shipped with it, it solves literally every issue you have with maya skin weighting. (look up the quickstart videos)
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.