[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why is the back of the slide curving like that and how do I fix
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6
File: ss+(2015-10-14+at+11.47.55).png (92 KB, 1548x650) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-10-14+at+11.47.55).png
92 KB, 1548x650
why is the back of the slide curving like that and how do I fix it? I've tried relaxing it and it just wont straighten up properly.

Using the latest version of blender btw.
>>
Does blender have a straighten function?'

If not you can just scale it.
>>
File: ss+(2015-10-15+at+12.19.05).png (98 KB, 1620x841) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-10-15+at+12.19.05).png
98 KB, 1620x841
>>497867
I'm tried the straighten tool and literally nothing happened, I've projected each side from view and put them next to each other but it'll turn out fucked when I try to normal map.

I'm brand new to UV mapping so any tips would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>497868

Just take what you've got there and stitch them together.
>>
File: bike_80_anim_gif.gif (18 KB, 80x80) Image search: [Google]
bike_80_anim_gif.gif
18 KB, 80x80
>>497869
You're a fuckin' legend mate
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (403 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
403 KB, 1920x1080
I've just finished UV mapping as well as a high poly for the slide.
>>
>>497885

I see why your unwrap was tapered at the end, you can't flatten out that shape with a standard relax because the indented parts on the back of the slide aren't just straight lines since they have sides that overlap and the only way to fit all of the surface in is to scale part of it down which creates the distortion.

Also: Is that your high poly? Because you don't have to unwrap the high poly.
>>
>>497886
That's the low poly with a normal and AO map baked from the high poly
>>
>>497888

What exactly did you bake from it? I don't see any extra details and you might as well have baked the ao from the low poly.
>>
File: ss+(2015-10-15+at+04.23.22).jpg (81 KB, 798x442) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-10-15+at+04.23.22).jpg
81 KB, 798x442
>>497893
A few extra details and some smoothing.
>>
>>497866
use fucking cube projection nigger.
>>
>>497931
wtf dude that's gay, also every time I try it turns out really fucked up and messy. Probably because I insist on using blender. My tutors at college hate me for it.
>>
>>497934
Blender actually has some pretty good unwrapping tools. Almost no one uses cube/sphere/whatever projections, regardless of the software you're working.
>>
>>497942
Dude I fucking love blender, people in the game industry are close minded autists. Not that I'm really qualified to say what is and isn't good since I'm a student but still, it does everything I want it to and it's fucking free.
>>
>>497945

If you're a student then you have access to Autodesk student licenses.

You should be learning what they want to see on your CV.
>>
>>497947
I have all the autodesk stuff installed and use it for all college related work, I'm a programmer and not a 3d artist though. I also personally prefer blender as I find the workflow a little faster and less tedious.
>>
>>497945
Does everything "I" want it to
vs
Doesn't do everything professionals and studios need it to do.
>>
>>497980
If you're making advertisements or movies, sure maybe you need to fork out the thousand dollars for autodesk software. In games I don't personally believe there is any significant advantage to using max or maya.
>>
>>497945
>Blender user calling other people autists
I'm I being baited?
>>
>>497981
business run on the simple concept of time is money, clearly autodesk is doing something right if these business and spending both time and money buying the software and the training for autodesk products. there are reasons why 'professionals' use certain tools that the average person would consider a waste , figure out that reason and you are well on your way to a grand discovery
>>
File: 18s04fkzrmdrpjpg.jpg (37 KB, 240x360) Image search: [Google]
18s04fkzrmdrpjpg.jpg
37 KB, 240x360
>>499436

i screen cappd

gonna bust this out later for when the blender fags come a runnin
>>
>>499436
I'm not saying this is the case with Blender, but it's worth pointing out that one of the reasons that organizations continue to use a particular piece of software is institutional inertia. Schools train for what is actually used in the field, real world pipelines develop dependencies on other pieces of software or hardware in use elsewhere in the pipeline, and people with experience in a given field develop preferences based on what they're used to using. It all adds up to it being more costly for an existing organization to switch over for what amounts to marginal improvements over what they've been using. And in the case of FOSS software there's also the issue of support inevitably being worse that what's provided by a commercial software company.

[spoiler]This is why Apple products are still so common in design and music.[/spoiler]
>>
>>499436
>better pipeline
>actual tech support
>more plugins and better integration with other programs

its simply a workflow issue
>>
>>497866
this happens in 3dsmax as well whenever you have a UV island like that with a hole in it. for some reason it puts a bend on the sides and it can't relax properly. to get around it i just cut the uv island in half so there's no more hole, then relax each piece individually. after that just weld them back together.
>>
>>499440
Go back to /b/
>>
>>500136
>for some reason

It's perfectly predictable. Relax tries to flatten a shape that can't be flattened in the space you've given it so it will bend to accommodate this. It has nothing to do with the hole and all to do with the indentations at the back end of the slide.
>>
>>499816
>things software is needed to do
>WELL THAT STUFF DOESN'T COUNT
>>
Random note, but why arent you using a bevel modifier along with bevel weights for that gun? It makes hard surface modeling like 10 times easier.
>>
>>497866
>>497885
For that low level of detail, you have far too many faces. It's time to hit the books and/or watch some modelling tuts.
>>
>>497945
Why is it always students calling Blender fantastic?
>>
>>500574
I can't see myself changing my mind anytime soon
>>
>>500574
because students are fucking retarded
>>
>>500574
>>500635
>Why is it always students calling Blender fantastic?
Oh the irony!
I can bet nobody on this board has paid for their AD Maya, they are using student licenses or a pirated copy.
Autodesk fanboys get up my nose, they really do!
>inb4...B..But the industry...
>>500635
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.