[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help needed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 12
File: shader_test.jpg (48 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
shader_test.jpg
48 KB, 640x480
So I am trying to get this effect that works based on the light of the scene.

I came to found this pic on a forum but it was mostly about how to achieve it in Maya (have the pic of the shading network, I'll post it next).

I get the first part of the process, but with what images I need to use to achieve it but I dont get how to make it react properly to the light.
>>
File: shading_network.jpg (94 KB, 800x625) Image search: [Google]
shading_network.jpg
94 KB, 800x625
The shading process
>>
File: shader_max.jpg (63 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
shader_max.jpg
63 KB, 640x480
What a guy managed to do in 3dsMax (forgot to say it but its where I am trying to get it to work too, sorry)

I can get it to look like this but its still very far from the other look that fits more with what is wanted
>>
what have you tried, fag
>>
>>496033
mostly falloff and composite, but it always gets that aspect of very geometric lines that cover everything instead of that more natural feel of the top image where even if its well lit its still softly traced here and there while the dark areas are very filled with black with each line getting darker.

Also the top image doesnt have gradients as shadows but simply more lines that get thicker
>>
>>496036
show me a nodegraph of what you've done with notes on it showing whats what as well as renders of the problem at specific stages in the nodegraph when you solo to that point
>>
File: shader_max02.jpg (152 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
shader_max02.jpg
152 KB, 640x480
>>496037
it really is as simple as having a falloff with a sharp curve and some few lines, then in the dark have another falloff with a composite adding more lines and then another fallof with another composite adding more lines, etc... untill I got more and more lines as it got darker, the problem is that it seems very mathematical
>>
>>496039
looking at the nodegraph it looks like a fucking mess. I really wish I could understand what the fuck that "condition" in Maya was doing.
>>
File: shader_graph.jpg (610 KB, 1082x930) Image search: [Google]
shader_graph.jpg
610 KB, 1082x930
>>496040
forgot the graph
>>
>>496040

I almost have it in theory, but give a video of it in motion or more pictures of the work you're going for
>>
>>496046
Now I cant but I'll post tomorrow morning
>>
File: shader_max03.jpg (110 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
shader_max03.jpg
110 KB, 640x480
>>496046
>>496059
couldnt manage to post a video in motion but this is how for I got. Sorry.

Minor tweaks not really mattering right now, the biggest problem I have is still the lack of a natural look
>>
File: Test03.gif (4 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Test03.gif
4 MB, 640x480
So yeah, I got this
>>
I want it to be more like this
>>
>>496117
fuck off
>>
>>496120
The result on the first pic is more then enough though
>>
maybe an image like this would be more apropriate.

But yeah, I still just need that look of the first pic
>>
File: handdrawn_shader.png (539 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
handdrawn_shader.png
539 KB, 2000x1000
Okay, I did what I could. The trick basically was this:
Instead of doing it the regular way (textures first, then lighting), I first set up a basic, white material to capture all lighting. Shadows, AO, and so on.
Then I used this to determine the width of the lines along the object. Finally, I mixed that line image with the original image to give it some softness.

If you're using Blender, I've uploaded the file here (http://pasteall.org/blend/38342), so you can check out the material, lighting setup, textures, whatever.
>>
File: c4d.jpg (203 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
c4d.jpg
203 KB, 800x600
c4d sketch and toon /thread
>>
>>496123
>>496117

If you want to get a shader to look like that then comparing it on spheres and cubes is fairly is only half of the test. Put a couple of practical objects in the render as well such as a horse mesh. Or even a teapot if you don't have one. Seeing how the shader interacts with changing shapes and intersections is massively important.
>>
>>496117
Make the fall off for the cross hatch greater than the hatch. When doing real cross hatching your midtones are only one set of lines. And just set your materials to higher tile counts for finer lines is a start
>>
>>496120
Are you the same guy who got mad his post was accused of being a randomly generated?
>>
>>496133
post blender node graph as a picture for those who dont want to install blender
>>
File: handdrawn_shader_graph.png (424 KB, 1855x930) Image search: [Google]
handdrawn_shader_graph.png
424 KB, 1855x930
>>496183
Here you go, I hope it's readable.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.