[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, So i have to reconstruct a models face, any idea how?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: Screenshot (138).png (382 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (138).png
382 KB, 1600x900
Hey guys, So i have to reconstruct a models face, any idea how? I'm using the tool kit in Maya 15 but I'm not sure if I doing it right. any one have a facial map for facial animation? whats the correct way of doing this?
>>
I would use shrink wrap deformer + mirror.

Also I would make bigger quads and then subdivide to get more detail. The quad draw thing you got there looks messy.
>>
What do you mean by reconstruct?
>>
>>495810
Sorry, retopo
>>
>>495811
There are lots of ways to do that.

An easy way is to make the original mesh live by selecting it and clicking the big magnet button. That'll make whatever components you move stick to the surface. Then just redraw the polygons or move the verts of a low poly face mesh with good topology so it is the same shape as the base mesh.
>>
>>495812
Isn't that just like using the quad draw?
>>
https://gumroad.com/l/aoYw

all you need
>>
>>495814
Yeah I guess.
>>
File: Screenshot (139).png (576 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (139).png
576 KB, 1600x900
Well heres a little update, not too clean but it'll get there. I'm trying to be precice because I am looking to rig and animate it for my new reel to get a job.
>>
>>495846
You're getting way too high-poly with your initial base, and it's going to hurt you in the long-run of doing the retopo. You have to take the same rules that apply to modeling/sculpting, always work your way up in levels of detail, don't start near the highest level of mesh detail.

You want to start by laying out the major flow of your polygons with quad-draw, it should be 1/4 or 1/3 the density you're doing right now. It's a lot easy to manage your edge-flows that way and get a nice topology. After that, you can start inserting edgeloops/slicing to refine the base-mesh shapes into something more animation and bake friendly.
>>
>>495908
Ugh, ya your right. I know the basic principles of modeling, I'm not much of a modeler. I'm an animation major, so this is my first time modeling a face in "maya" I'm more capable in zbrush. Thanks for the tips. Would you know if a model is still capable of animation if it were all tri's instead of quads? Cause that is the only reason why I'm retopologizing this models face. Gotta love free models eh
>>
>>496034
Yes you'd know, because once a quad becomes two triangles, it looses its ability to dynamically spin the hidden edge that internally splits that quad into two triangles so the GPU can process it. It also won't work properly with the Catmull-Clark or OpenSubdiv smoothing algorithm, and thus your mesh will look even worse when animated since you can't use the smoothing.

If you want a quick result, you could just try a Mesh>Quadrangulate and then clean up the little issues you'll be left with. Doesn't always work good enough though.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.