[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Here is comparison of different programs. add your markers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 192
Thread images: 25
File: asdasdasd.png (103 KB, 1937x519) Image search: [Google]
asdasdasd.png
103 KB, 1937x519
Here is comparison of different programs. add your markers
>>
> can't manage Zbrush GUI
can you tie your own shoelaces ?
>>
I heard that nazis were using Zbrush to persecute Jews in deathcamps
>>
File: 14405921706822.png (117 KB, 1937x519) Image search: [Google]
14405921706822.png
117 KB, 1937x519
>>491215
blender and zbrush interfaces were forged in the same flames of hell

3d max and maya are the same shit often on which other software is based, modo is best designed gui i saw so far, dunno if you could make it easier, but its what other software was ripping ideas from for last half decade

i didnt use mudbox in years, i should try it out, wonder how much it changed since autodesk got their fingers on it
same goes for autocad and solidworks, didnt touch it since my uni projects days, it wasnt that hard from what i remember

i never really used Cinema 4D, softimage

dunno, is there anything else popular enough of note?
>>
>>491215
>>491219
What are you talking about? Blender is easy as fuck to use and learn, and you use mostly keyboard shortcuts anyway.
>>
>>491220
marking menu infinitely > keyboard shortcuts
>>
>>491220
>you only need to memorize those 100 key binds you silly boy
easy as hell, so is zbrush, right ?;)
>>
>>491220
"mostly keyboard shortcuts" is the exact opposite of a good UI. Plus the labels on shit in Blender make no fucking sense. And don't get me started on how you can't even left click most shit, unlike literally every other program in existence.

>>491222
Everything is in clearly labeled menus in ZBrush, and you simply turn on Enable Customize and drag+drop features to where you want them. Literally EZ-PZ UI. But keep being the most butthurt manchild I've ever seen over ZBrush.
>>
>>491225
>Everything is in clearly labeled menus in ZBrush, and you simply turn on Enable Customize and drag+drop features to where you want them.
i now
if not for this the software would be borderline unusable
i have to fucking set up or import my binds and ui every time i reinstall or use it somewhere else
>>
>>491227
>i have to fucking set up or import my binds and ui every time i reinstall or use it somewhere else
wow your life must be so hard
>>
>>491225
you should use as many keyboard shotcuts as you can, the more shortcuts you use the less you are dicking around in menus..they call em shortcuts for a reason
>>
>>491222
you can click space and write what you need but yeah blender is a pain in the butt
>>
>>491215
zbrush is super easy to use. You dont have to worry about polygons or akward modeling tools or a trillion UI buttons compared to maya. any moron can pick up a zbrush tutorial and start making cool shit.
>>
>>491225
>And don't get me started on how you can't even left click most shit
I like the choice of selecting stuff with the right button, but that's just an opinion.
And it leaves the left one to position the 3D cursor, which is a feature I love. Unnecessary, yes, but it speeds up a lot of shit.
>>
>>491225
>And don't get me started on how you can't even left click most shit
you can change that in the menu derp
>>
>>491215
itt: fags that think blender's gui is bad.
it's the best one out there.
quit bein' buttmad that it tops your "not free" software everytime.
>>
>>491225
>the labels on shit in Blender make no fucking sense
go on...
>>
>>491215
Can someone explain what's wrong with ZBrush's UI? It took me no more than a day to learn, and it makes a lot of sense the way it is now. Same with 3ds Max.
>>
File: 1440592170682.png (110 KB, 1937x586) Image search: [Google]
1440592170682.png
110 KB, 1937x586
>>
>>491244
because they're autismo and hate everything that doesn't navigate like autoderp
>>
>>491246
>netflix and chill
that can become a "fucking anal terror" for the chick.
>>
>>491248
>chick
>>
File: 1440592170682.png (331 KB, 1937x1000) Image search: [Google]
1440592170682.png
331 KB, 1937x1000
>>
>>491256
Someones mad
>>
File: 1440592170682.png (414 KB, 1937x1300) Image search: [Google]
1440592170682.png
414 KB, 1937x1300
>>491256
Alright I admit that was slightly biased. The fourth meter should unrustle some jimmies.
>>
>>491255
>she
>>
>>491256
I can agree with this.
>>
>>491227
>i have to fucking set up or import my binds and ui every time i reinstall or use it somewhere else
The level of anal here is unfathomable. What software doesn't require you to import your CUSTOM UI and HOTKEYS when using another copy of the software on another computer? Are you fucking retarded? That's not a valid complaint at all, it's the same way with every software, and it takes less than a minute to do with ZBrush.

And no, it's not borderline unusable if it didn't have the custom UI, you just can't handle not being coddled like a little baby and throw a temper tantrum if you have to put any effort into using a program. It's why you have nothing but basic nude sculpts with overly-defined anatomy.
>>
>>491233
>you can change the in the menu
That doesn't excuse the absolutely moronic default design decision. It reduces one's faith in it being a quality program. And also changing it to left click fucks with some of the interaction since so much is based around right click instead.
>>
File: 3D_tools.png (36 KB, 1937x519) Image search: [Google]
3D_tools.png
36 KB, 1937x519
Its more like this.
That said, navigating the option panel in Blender is a anal pain.
>>
>>491275
cri me river m8
>>
>>491255
>>491262
>>
I'm not very good at drawing, so to me the hardest ui to navigate is photoshops, i used to think zbrush had the worst UI but I took a few sculpting courses and read a few books, it was almost like the better i got as a sculpter the less i hated the zbrush ui, actually what i realized was i was blaming my lack of talent on the zbrush ui
>>
>>491258
>implying
renderman works just fine in blender.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq0hOZwA8r8
>plus pixar is shit
>>
>>491276
>option panel
which option panel do you mean?
>>
>>491282
Anything thats not the 3D view, or the panel for showing off the UV.
>Render settings
>The modifier stacks
>UV mapping
etc
>>
>>491225
>"mostly keyboard shortcuts" is the exact opposite of a good UI.
GUIs were developed to manipulate and interact with 2-dimensional spaces (paint, word processing, spreadsheets, the web).

If machinists instead of graphic designers from Xerox had developed the GUI and its peripherals, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
>>
File: our new board title.png (114 KB, 970x226) Image search: [Google]
our new board title.png
114 KB, 970x226
When did we become faggots afraid of learning interfaces
>>
>>491283
so the tools panel in edit ode of the 3d viewport to mark seams for uv-mapping.
and
the properties pane.

i can understand the confusion.
but after about 1 day of fuckin' with it you'll never forget it.
>>
>>491297
admins should actually change the board name to this for a day or a week.

we can all pull the "/3/ is a professional board" racket once the influx of newkids start rolling through.
mods can ban the ones that refuse to grasp it and it will create a small "ethnic cleansing" of 4chan as a whole.

although, trying to get them to believe that a board titled "fucking anal terror" is a professional board might be a bit rough.
>>
>>491228

>The UI sucks but it's your fault

Are you an engineer?
>>
>>491231
What fucking drug are you on?
>>
>>491297

There's a difference between being afraid to learn a new interface and realizing the interface you're trying to learn seriously sucks.
>>
>>491258
A chart like this would actually be nice info for the sticky. Problem is, everyone on /3/ is 100% biased toward whatever software they currently use, so there could be no possible agreement on how to rate anything.
>>
>>491373
I can agree with this.
>>
What about Newtek's Lightwave? Anyone?
>>
>>491216
you can learn it. but its just the most un-user friendly interface out of any software.
>>
>>491373
id say we do a straw pole on easy medium and hard for each program.

after a few days make a chart out of the results
>>
>>491215
I fix, its k
> ive used all of these
> currently use maya and zbrush/mudbox
>>
>>491381
what are you trying to do with zbrush that the UI is fucking you up? you realize that the UI isn't preventing you from sculpting epic characters, your lack of talent is preventing you. so many people bitch and moan about zbrush and 90% of it is a lack of talent.
>>
>>491386
its not the sculpting. apply shit, hit shift, hit alt. thats all fine.
the workflow is fucky though.

need to move rotate or scale anything?!?
>FUCK YOU transpose tools
need to move the camera?
>FUCK YOU now your viewing your model sideways
need to render a turn around?
>FUCK YOU press BPR then go to the movie tab and turn off our logo at the begining and end of your turn around. DONT FORGET your model will never be 100% in the center of the screen
need to apply a texture to only one object?
>FUCK YOU paint it on so it stays
want some decent fur?
>FUCK YOU fiber mesh
>quick sketch is so usefull RIGHT?
lighting?
>FUCK YOU
need some reference?
>has a max scale

there are things in the program that need to be fixed but Pixologic dosnt care about the major flaws in their program.

>zbrush dosnt care about the professional scene since hobbyists keep complaining when things get improved for professionals to speed up production with a better workflow

dynamesh is the only thing keeping them on top
>>
>>491389
>>zbrush dosnt care about the professional scene
you mean literally the only people who pay for a license?
>>
>>491385
> i'm confused by Photoshop

OK
>>
>>491368
>and realizing the interface you're trying to learn seriously sucks

I never thought I'd be the guy using the term "baby ducks" and yet here we are.

>>491305
>we can all pull the "/3/ is a professional board"

> how do I do it just like professionals do
> describe a workflow
> I can't tie my shoes /3/ help me
> my first head sculpt, r8

Yeah, you do that.
>>
>>491390
they have to because dynamesh.

but they ask for features and nothing comes of it
my school is connected to pixologic and the owner has said multiple times that their focus is the hobbyists that use their program and not professionals during events where they all get drunk.
>>
>>491227
>or import my binds and ui
Tell your sister's grandchildren about how hard you had it back in the old days
>>
>>491274
>That's not a valid complaint at all, it's the same way with every software, and it takes less than a minute to do with ZBrush.
Then why wont the devs take a fucking minute to fix their crappy software and make the default interface and hotkeys not blow ass?
On that matter where the fuck is gpu acceleration for rendering/

Do faggots like you get paid for shilling or whats the deal?
Also you seem pretty salty, jelly of my skills or what?
>>
>>491395
>the owner has said multiple times that their focus is the hobbyists that use their program
Tell the owner that explains why they don't use the GPU, because clearly their programmers are also hobbyists.
>>
>>491391
photoshops 3d tools, have you ever fucking used them. they arnt confusing. they are just bad
>>
>>491398
>and make the default interface and hotkeys not blow ass
I'm sure your perspective on how the GUI should be arranged is the standard that everyone else will agree on
>>
>>491402
im sure his idea is better than what they have now
>>
>>491400
well actually, your sort of right.
the program is 2.5d and not 3d, its fake 3d. which is why when you smooth objects the model silhouette seems to stick around after it has clearly reset.
the owner is a nut case though, they were going to release 4r7 like 6 months earlier but the owner wanted to add some fucky options that delayed the release for 6 months. ( from what ive been told by people that work there, many of them were not added in the end because they were to unstable or just bad)

>the programmers are good but are brought down to shitty levels by the owners ideas
>>
>>491402
>I'm sure your perspective on how the GUI should be arranged is the standard that everyone else will agree on
ofc, since im not a retarded monkey like the people behind the internal testing and quality control at pixologic seem to be

give me one version to decide what to focus on and this software would get 10x better
>>
>>491401
>photoshops 3d tools, have you ever fucking used them. they arnt confusing. they are just bad
1. The minute you go to save for the first time choose .PSB not .PSD, the internal structure's slightly more stable
2. Everything I learned about texturing relies on a shit ton of actions, filters, and nondestructive image manips that I'm thinking aren't in Joe-Bob® Texturizer Pro™, so I'll put up with the bullshit in return for being able to use an industry standard for image manipulation. This'll probably change in the near future but for now it works.
3. Learn where PS keeps its temp folder for these embedded files and keep it open until Adobe gets their shit together.
>>
>>491406
>>the programmers are good but are brought down to shitty levels by the owners ideas
Welcome to every privately held niche software company that started in a garage ever.
>>
>>491403
>im sure his idea is better than what they have now
I actually can't argue with that point, my apologies.
>>
Never understood the meme about Blender's UI being bad. Aside from the redundant menus it relies heavily on shortcuts so you barely even need the UI at all.
>>
>>491415
>Never understood the meme about Blender's UI being bad

The interface is better than it used to be, and there are video tutorials for it now. When I first tried to use it in the mid 2000s it was a pastel sea of identical looking buttons and very little about it seemed intuitive.

tl;dr: OH GOD I HAVE TO PUT EFFORT INTO LEARNING SOMETHING PLEASE STEVE JOBS COME BACK FROM THE DEAD I'LL SUCK YOUR INFECTED COCK JUST MAKE IT EASY
>>
>>491389
there is nothing wrong with the transpose tool,besides that you have the deformation tools, which give you move,scale,rotate,bend,skew,flatten,twist,taper, etc..
I have never had the problem you describe with navigating your model, if you are rotating your model you can hold shift and it will snap your rotation (your model is sidewas > click and hold empty space on canvas drag left or right>hold shift while you are draging>snaps 90deg> click and hold empty space on canvas drag up or down>hold shift while dragging>) not that big of a deal...
rendering a turn around? simple enough
fur..pretty simple, altho like most people if you want the highest quality fur or hair you are probably going to want to use something like shave/haircut, you can use zbrushs hair to export some nice control splines tho.
there isn't really anything wrong with the lighting or rendering options in zbrush, can get some pretty nice results.
importing reference is also not a problem, scale is relative.. not sure the problem here either.
the only valid point you brought up, is painting, zbrush has shit painting features, there is nothing else to say about it , nice for quick base coats but it sucks and has very limited features. and dynamesh was a nice addition, but it wasn't a dealbreaker for anyone, before dynamesh you would just mangle your mesh , make a copy of it, use 'unified skin' and then reproject your detail,dynamesh is quicker..not that big of a deal tho
>>
>>491400
>>491406
Maximum keks

you guys don't have half a clue as to what you are talking about
>>
>>491421
i mean, im pretty sure i know excatly what im talking about
>>
>>491389
I have no problem with any of these things and I don't even take ZBrush seriously.
>>
>>491422
not sure that you do. if you do, please elaborate.
>>
" ZBrush has received an Academy Award for revolutionizing the world of cinema and special effects. " http://pixologic.com/zbrush/industry/movies-vfx/

keks
>>
>>491422
they were going to release the sofware eariler, but the owner had some wacky ideas for features near the original release. is there anything that confuses them there?
>>
>>491426
any source on that? or you just shitposting.. all i know is i've been using zbrush for many years, and they almost always release their major updates in dec/jan and 4r7 was no different.
>>
>>491420
why not have tools excatly like every other 3d program??
>>
>>491430
our school had 4r7 in the summer when they ahd the summit. then they removed it from our computers because they had to "work on it"
>>
>>491430
I'm not sure what your comment means, why not have cars like every other car? your comment is slightly retarded, why not have windows exactly like OSX , or linux... seriously
>>
>>491432
do you mean your school was beta testing the software?
>>
>>491436
cars are all basicly the same, same function
wheels, seats, windshields, windows, engine, brake, accelerator.
windows and osx are very similar, and some versions of linux.

why you ask? because its a standars that is proven to work and you cannot say you would rater have transpose tools replace every move rotate and scale tool set it other 3d programs
>>
>>491437
we usually get it right before it comes out though. and it was completed back in the summer but released way later
>>
>>491440
source
>zbrush summit had it working and everything
>>
>>491439
you realize that zbrush basically paved the way , it's not like pixologic said 'lets make out high-poly sculpting software different that the others' there were no others.
>>
File: thumb.jpg (17 KB, 246x250) Image search: [Google]
thumb.jpg
17 KB, 246x250
>>491443
>there were no others.
of course there were, they are obscure now or internal to movie and game studios
>>
>>491445
oh, would you list a few of them? just out of curiosity , there is mudbox, that was developed internally at weta, that was well after zbrush however. I am not familiar with any other applications from the mid 90's to early 2000..
>>
>>491443
there were others that were better at the time.
zbrush was just less money, by a few thousand
>i dont think you have any idea what you are talking about
>>
>>491447
kek, name 1 other..
>>
>>491445
you retarded?
zbrush was the first 3d sculpting software made
hell, it wasnt even supposed to be a sculpting software, it was supposed to be a 2d painting software

in movies and games they ether use mudbox or zbrush, never heard of any advanced in house sculpting software

before that you just painted displacement amd biump maps in photoshop and hoped it wont look like ass once rendered
>>
>>491450
lol give him a chance, he's a pretty smart fella, i'm sure he will be able to list at least one of the many digital sculpting applications from the early-mid 90's, there were a bunch after all.
>>
File: 59563401.jpg (80 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
59563401.jpg
80 KB, 400x300
>>491445
>>491447
>>
>>491455
>>491452
>>491448
so i asked my teacher
>>
>>491463
maya artisan is not digital sculpting...it was, and still is a soft selection brush, push pull smooth, seriously.
bryce and stratavision.. try again, bryce was a fractal terrain editor, i had a demo of it when i was a kid, it was shit.. stratavision was just a 3d modeling application. and so was amapi, you can look them up online if you want to, the closest of all of them is maya, and it's a hell of a stretch to call that digital sculpting, and even then artisan was released in 98, a year before zbrush.. and like slocik said , what zbrush is being used for now, and what it was designed for are completely different, it was a happy accident. i commend your effort in trying to not look like a retard, but you have failed
>>
>>491468
those are the programs they used back before zbrush
im neither saying they were better or were great programs
>but these were the sculpting programs used in the industry before zbrush was around
>>
>>491472
kek, zbrush 1.5 10 million polygon mesh, sculpting . maya soft selection , not sculpting. there is a difference, bryce was not a sculpting application, yes they are applications that were used in the creation of 3d content, they are not digital sculpting, it's not that they were better or great, it's just that it is different technology, it's like raster vs vector, you can do things with vectors that you can't with rasters, and 3d is the same, nurbs and traditional polymodeling has different limitations, zbrush doesn't compute that shit the same way, it uses pixols which are similar to voxels. here is a video of maya artisan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE3Mp2liJVU ... if you think that is sculpting, then see >>491455

hop in the way way back machine and go look for info from 99-2003 about zbrush, very different, because zbrush offered sculpting, high-poly meshes back then it was up to 10million polys, it is the first digital sculpting application, soft selection tools in maya are not digital sculpting..not hard to understand
>>
File: zbrush1.5vsmaya.jpg (225 KB, 1515x642) Image search: [Google]
zbrush1.5vsmaya.jpg
225 KB, 1515x642
i'm not sure if you can tell the difference, i'm assuming you are either stubborn or if you are still in school you are in the 'i know everything' phase. but they are very different technologies, unless you want to get into ridiculous semantics in the form of 'sculpting means 'to form into a shape' and you form primitive objects into shapes in maya, and maya was around for longer than zbrush (maya released in 1998 to zbrushs 1999) so zbrush isn't the first digital sculpting program' but then you are not only retarded but also autistic
>>
zbrush needs to stop coasting on their success from back in the day and update their program to where it is a smooth and non frustrating program to use at times.
they arnt saying zbrush is a bad program, on the contrary. it has features that keeps everybody coming back. but they are in a major need of a overhaul of the UI and workflow.
>it took them until last year to get decent tools for hard surface with edge loops and the like.
something that should have been in the program since the very beginning

zbrush is basically myspace, revolutionizing its field. it has features that are unique to it making it stay on top. but as time goes on, without updates to keep it ahead or even keep it with current standards. Zbrush will become a one trick pony and a "Facebook" will come along and over run it even if Myspace was the first, and still has some features that are better. the user experience is bad, navigation sucks, and the overall workflow can kiss my ass.

>im pretty sure thats what these guys are trying to say
>>
>>491500

I honestly can't wait for the day Zbrush is replaced by a better program. I fucking hate their attitude and approach to "UI".

But it's the best and nobody is even close yet, I spent a couple of months in Mudbox, but it just couldn't cope.
>>
>>491502
pixologic bought their free program out because they were afraid of more competition
>>
>>491502
Mudbox is so nice man, but it lacks that power :(
>>
>>491502
3D Coat
>>
>>491507
3d coat is cool, but zbrush still has dynamesh and all.
>>
3dcoat does voxel sculpting, which zbrush can't do. to the 'application they bought out' , the only acquisition i know of by pixologic was that of sculptris , which was an application created by a hobbyist ( http://drpetter.proboards.com/thread/954/drpetter-pixologic ) . it is assumed that sculptris will be intergrated into zbrush 5. if people want to shit on zbrush i don't understand why they don't shit on the things that are actually lacking in the program, complaining about the UI makes people look retarded, i've never heard about the problem with their 'attitude' so i can't comment on that one, the only valid complaint against zbrush.. painting highpoly models, their projection painting through spotlight has been buggy and inconsistent,there is no layer system like all over highpoly painting programs(mudbox,Substance painter,Mari, all BETTER options).
>>
>>491463
slap your teacher since most of that are just crappy old 3d packages, nothing to do with sculpting

except artisan, i would consider it a first real attempt at it, but seeing how you could modify like 5k polies tops at a time or your pc would melt and how hit it still ran likes shit, and how you just had access to a simple soft displacement tool its still a far cry from what zbrush offered

back then getting up to 1mln polies in zbrush had blown peoples mind, and it already came with a number of different tools that were to simulate the effects of pinching inflating and drawing that you would see in a 2d software

there is no comparison between what it offered you and what you could get through some plugins to maya
hell, i bet there were more of them, but none ever got any fraction and got picked up for use in the industry
>>
>>491543
>3dcoat does voxel sculpting, which zbrush can't do.
its funny sinnce dynamesh is just a voxel based process that applies polies on the outer part of voxel covered by a mesh, and that component was in zbrush since its first versions
i have no clue why they dont have a dynamic voxel sculpting option

i guess another of those features zbrush should have but instead it got pushed back so they can work on fiber mesh, bpr and other shit nobody fucking wants
>>
>>491589
hehe yeah, i was just trying to speak in very simplified terms for them. Couldn't agree more, fiber mesh with micromesh is nice, but it's kind of useless compared to all of the plug-ins for maya/max that give you the same functionality with better control . BPR is nice i guess if you are working 100% inside of zbrush, or just want some quick renders, but again pretty useless bpr to keyshot is nice, but thats just GOZ..the poly modeling tools they added... how about those kek
>>
>>491215
you're not wrong, but sketchup is shiet
>>
>>491281
stop embarrassing yourself and the Blender community
>pixar is shit
>here use renderman from Pixar :^)
>>
>>491695
>implying i ever said to use it
>>
File: modo-1.jpg (119 KB, 1240x698) Image search: [Google]
modo-1.jpg
119 KB, 1240x698
>>491385

How in hell are you considering MODO easy to learn?

I'm the guy from this thread

>>489457

and since I did the thread I started toying around with C4D and MAX and the approach to modeling seems far easier. I don't know if I'm totally retarded with Modo or something, but everyone speaks wonders on how intuitive and easy to use is and I keep fucking up.

Pic related.
>Over a million items

And also, I did the zbrush tutorial from gnomon (the one with the transgender) and I didn't find it that awful.
>>
>>491385

>rhino

Out of all the 3dl CAD software, rhino is definitely the least autistic when it comes to user it and GUI. You have a command line so you don't even really have to use menus. You can turn snaps off an on quick and change layers and manage blocks easily, unlike autocad where everything is a huge pain.

Also someone puts solidworks past Devils anus. I swear to god it has the shittest user interface in the world.
>>
>>491714

oh and Revit also has a user interface designed by some autistic psychopath
>>
>>491713
then maybe group up the items?
>>
>>491713
with the transgender?
>>
>>491713
>from gnomon (the one with the transgender)
oh good, it's comforting to know they have tutorials on pleasing bloggers
>>
>>491543
lol @ zbrush's retopology workflow, though.
>>
>>491744
>>491745

The instructor is a guy who used to be called Scott Spencer but now answers to Madeleine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LDLWxsSp90
>>
>>491759
>The instructor is a guy who used to be called Scott Spencer but now answers to Madeleine.
Fucking seriously?
Fucking trannies, what the fuck.
>>
>>491759
wtf
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRZOiR1UxWI
>>
>>491759
fuck me, i remember the guy and his work
and now he pretends to be a woman?
Fuck those trannies, as if dating game and family life wasnt hard enough without those freaks shitting up it even more

cant wait till those dirty muslims run us over
>>
File: images.jpg (8 KB, 240x210) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8 KB, 240x210
>>491786
>Scott Spencer
yeah ... i watched a bunch of his videos back in the day great artists.... how about larry wachowski of the matrix fame...or as he is now known as lana lol
>>
>>491215
I personally really like Blender's UI but there are some weird parts
>>
>>491256
What's the red icon?
>>
>>491759
I watched this whole course. She gasps for air after each sentence. It's good once you get to ignore that though.
>>
>>491890
Sketchup.
Very easy to get started with, but as soon as you go beyond extruding and snapping, shit starts getting frustrating
>>
>>491759
I thought you meant the tutorial was making trannies. I don't care what gender 3D tutorial people think they are, it's irrelevant since they'll never get laid either way
>>
>>491786
you think he just went into th drs office and was like "just sliceRect this bit, dynamesh with proj off, mask off this bit here use the move tool to push all this stuff in and then sculpt that a bit and then qremesh, just make sure symmetry is ON!"
>>
>>491774
The 3D art industry just attracts a lot of trannies, cross dressers, furries and other general weirdness.
>>
>>491897
Ah, OK. Last time I used it, it had a totally different icon.
>>
>>491246
You nailed it
>>
>>491215
I'd put Blender in the green area tbh.
>>
Easy - Zbrush - maya/3dsmax - Blender - Anal
>>
File: 0.jpg (11 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
11 KB, 480x360
>>491759
> kissless indy game/3d developer goes tranny

I'm shocked Rick, shocked
>>
bitch bitch bitch
3D is easier now than it's every been. Suck a dick you nonmanifold faggots
>>
>>492920
also this. If Blender's a fucking nightmare, I figure learning it will make learning anything else a cakewalk.
>>
>>492932
I disagree, when I first started I was using blender and max. I had greater ease with blender than I did max, so blender is what a mainly modeled in. I had later picked up zbrush and felt like I didn't know what the fuck I was doing.
>>
>>492932
That would be true, if not for the fact that Blender tries to go completely out of its way to be different from industry standards just for the sake of being different, and this results in your being even more lost when you try other applications because they will feel completely alien to you. Learning Blender is literally detrimental to you if you want to be a professional.
>>
>>492955
>2010+5
>thinking software determines if you are or can become professional.
4Chan is an 18+ site.
>>
>>492971
I'm grateful my insult meme has taken off
>>
>>492955
Actually it doesn't.
>Plenty of things that are similar to other programs.
>Legacy items that won't ever get fixed because the community doesn't want to be.
>Then you've got your odd things that only that program has..

That pretty much sums the program in a nutshell, now if we were talking about zbrush that would be entirely different subject.
>>
>>491543
Man, I wish zbrush made sense like sculptris. When they bought out sculptris and marooning its development it was a dick move.
>>
>>493476
Literally the only reason I won't touch Sculptris is because mirror breaks vert order for OBJ import/export
>>
>>493477
I haven't encounter this sort of problem, but then, I only use sculptris and then re-import back to my main program and re-topologize.
>>
>>493476
>What I actually mean is, sculptris has barely any features, so there isn't much to the interface, and thus I believe it to be easier to use

Bruh, if you ZBrush to be like a sculptris, then just fucking turn on Dynamesh and start sculpting on a sphere. There, you're doing all that sculptris can do. SO DIFFICULT.
>>
im more comfortable in zbrush than any other software.. i glad people thinking its anal terror because it feeds my ego and gives me bragging rights
>>
>>491759
NO FUCKING WAY. i watched that tutorial and i was like "oh wow look a woman artist
it'll be nice to hear a woman's voice"
>>
>>493508
You are not talking about what I am talking about.
Just because it has more functions doesn't preclude it from behaving like a program that isn't designed by 4 dimensional lizard man.

I mean, even the way this program handles save and load is esoteric, you have to save your file the right way and if you save it as 2D you are fucked. How is anybody suppose to know this thing have a legacy function that make no sense in normal work flow of a 3D program? It can behave like sculptris in that way and still have as many features.

Well, I guess I understand how people feel about blender now.
>>
What I hate about Blender is that they've made the exotic easy and the mundane hard. There's plenty of lesser-used stuff right there in the UI, whereas, for example, bone parenting is hidden away behind keyboard shortcuts. There are also no sane defaults. The default bone behaviour is unsuitable for use in skeletons, emitter and domain settings need to be painstakingly tweaked before they'll even display anything, force fields never work as expected, and default IK is insane.

It would make sense to put the most commonly used funtionality up front and default.

There's also very little consistency, and a lot of the keyboard shortcuts take you to a mode that can't be gotten out of by simply pressing that shortcut again; and if you don't even know the name of the mode you were just put in, it takes a fair bit of googling to work out how to get out of it.

Almost nothing can be intuited, yet the manual for 2.5 is almost nonexistent. And I can't believe this terribleness survived a complete redesign.

>>491391
You had to read and read before you became comfortable with Photoshop, faggot. It isn't mspaint.
>>
tfw Autocad Revit

Im close to suicide
>>
File: blenderIK.webm (1 MB, 1220x678) Image search: [Google]
blenderIK.webm
1 MB, 1220x678
>>493564
>>493564
I read your post and every point you made about blender is wrong. Simple stuff is put up front with hotkeys while exotic stuff might require ctrl or shift in conjunction with the hotkey.
Bone parenting options are readily available in the left-hand menu under the "Relations" tab.
I'm not sure what you're talking about regarding 'defaults'. It works perfectly for me and everyone else.
Emitters are highly costumizable, but there's an easy way to set it up. Simply select your object, press space and search for "quick fluid/smoke/etc." and you've got a working template.
And for your IK problem i attached a video.

If by "up and front" you mean putting big shiny icons on a toolbar, then no. This is the clicky clacky behavior we want to avoid.

Blender is the most consistent program i've ever laid my hands on. I needed a free video editor, and by knowing how to 3D model, i immediately knew how to edit videos in blender as well. This consistency also carries over to the UV editor, the motion tracking tools, the graph editor etc. The only feature that's remarkably different is the sculptor.
To get out of a "shortcut mode" just press esc or right-click.

No, blender is not very intuitive at first, but once you adapt to it you'll find it invaluable and efficient; much like zBrush.
>>
File: 252.jpg (9 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
252.jpg
9 KB, 200x200
I guess us blender users are just more intelligent if we understand it faster.
>>
File: 001-maya-beginner-basics-05[1].jpg (51 KB, 520x389) Image search: [Google]
001-maya-beginner-basics-05[1].jpg
51 KB, 520x389
>>491219
Every time I hear all these people complain about blenders user interface it reminds me that artist are generally stupid people. I can't think of any other reason people think it's a complicated or bad user interface.

Especially when they try to imply somehow this is more intuitive.

It's literally just as "unintuitive" as Blender.
>>
>>491275
It literally takes 10 minutes to get used to you if you don't have down syndrome.
>>
>>493928
I don't use Blender, but from what i understand, the complaint is generally that Blender relies almost completely on keyboard shortcuts, whereas with Maya i can copy a mel script into the script editor, and drag it to the shelf as a button, and assign it to a shortcut if i want, all in about a minute.

The fact is Maya gives you a fuckload more freedom to create a workflow that works for your needs specifically which is why it is such a commonly used tool.
>>
>>493932
>The fact is Maya gives you a fuckload more freedom to create a workflow

it doesnt. also "just copy the mel" is massive bullshit. in blender you can do the same even faster.
>>
>>493935
>in blender you can do the same even faster.
>being this desperate to insist Blender is better

ok m80
>>
>>493932
>I don't use Blender

Which is why you should really just stop.

You can just type into a box the exact thing you want to do in Blender.

You can also assign it all to different keyboard shortcuts if you want.

All in about a minute.
>>
>>493976
You can do the same in Maya. It even has a nifty visual keyboard that shows you all your assigned hotkeys while you're assigning new ones. Thankfully though, in Maya you don't have to rely on dozens of hotkeys, and instead quick gestures or the hotbox :) It's a much more natural and fast interaction method than Blender.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-09-15-18-18-32.png (144 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-09-15-18-18-32.png
144 KB, 1080x1920
>>493977
>all this not knowing shit about blender
>>
>>493976
Show me exactly where in Blender you can drag a script onto a toolbar to turn it into a button.

>mfw to create a button with a custom function in Blender you need to know python
>mfw You literally can't just drag a function onto a toolbar in Blender because it relies on hotkeys.
>>
>>493983
>mfw this idiot thinks toolbar shelf is a requirement for a good workflow

Okay, I'm gonna play your game now. Show me exactly where Mayas modifier stack is.
>>
>>493986
>>493983

Why are you bickering about alternative workflows and assuming that one is superior in every situation?
>>
File: 20150915102812.webm (2 MB, 1770x582) Image search: [Google]
20150915102812.webm
2 MB, 1770x582
>>493980
>thinks Maya is the only software that gets results like that when you search up a feature
kek m8, maximum kek.

>>493986
Our "modifier stack" goes beyond a simple stack. It is a node network that allows us to go back and alter every operation that's been done to an object, and even manually re-route it to different points in the chain or add more nodes to affect the existing ones.
The modifier history shows both as tabs in your Attribute menu, in order of operation, as well as in the node editor.
>>
File: 1440592170682.png (133 KB, 1937x519) Image search: [Google]
1440592170682.png
133 KB, 1937x519
>>491215
wew lad
>>
Whats with this idiot thinking that relying on shortcuts is a bad workflow? Its actually the fastest
>>
>>493535
> How is anybody suppose to know this thing have a legacy function that make no sense in normal work flow of a 3D program?
Oh, I dunno, by actually watching the INTRODUCTORY TUTORIAL for this new piece of professional grade software you're using? Or is that too hard for you? The 2D feature isn't legacy, it is still used, you'd know that if you actually knew shit all about ZBrush.
>>
File: 20150915121433.webm (3 MB, 1908x956) Image search: [Google]
20150915121433.webm
3 MB, 1908x956
>>493986
>>493991
An example taken a bit further. This only scratches the surface of what Maya's history system allows for. It isn't just some piddly modifier stack, it's part of the reason Maya has been so popular with VFX houses due to the workflow and effects capabilities this unlocks.
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (96 KB, 2481x519) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.png
96 KB, 2481x519
there you go
>>
>>493998
Not them but that's pretty nice, I used to use Maya a while back but transitioned to Blender and C4D, and 3Ds max but only for Vray. I don't remember this history system being a thing in the versions of Maya I used (2008 and 2011), what else have they improved? I ditched it because it was buggy as hell, C4D is very basic when it comes to modeling, animating and rendering but I use it for its motion graphics capabilities, Blender's modeling, sculpting, texturing and unwrapping tools are far superior to the Maya versions I used. But if they actually fixed the application now I might give it another try again. How's Vray for Maya?
>>
File: my_uh.png (1 MB, 3840x1080) Image search: [Google]
my_uh.png
1 MB, 3840x1080
>>494006
This history system has actually been a part of Maya for its whole life really. It's just that the interface for interacting with it wasn't as clean, perhaps you remember opening the "Hypergraph" window at some point? It was the same thing, just more work to connect things as you had to middle click drag from one node to the next and then choose the in/out inputs from two side-by-side lists. I've opened it up in this image.

They have improved Maya a shit tonne over the past few versions, lots of little quality of life things too. Hypershade got a nice revamp, including the update node style (and it shows up in the node editor too), giving us a nice and big, customizeable ray-traced shader preview (or Maya hardware if you choose).

Modeling tools got vastly improved over each version since 2012, modeling toolkit can be seen on the right.

All the menus got reorganized to be more logical.

Maya got Softimage's Unfold algorithm and replaced it as default from their old unfold (which was still decent imho, but Softimage's is better). They added UV brushes that allow you to dynamic slice, weld, relax, etc.. And a live heatmap on your model showing UV space density. Handling UVs is a dream in Maya now.

We also got a new fluid/aero sim system called Bifrost which is well integrated and has a dynamic simulation container size that easily interacts with all other simulations going on.

Then there's XGen, the hair/grooming and instancing feature that can create polystrip or curve based hair for production.

And there's so much more that has improved. It's great. You can check out the "new features" videos on Autodesk's Youtube channel for the past few Maya versions to get a sense.
>>
>>494006
Also, can't say much about V-Ray in Maya, though I've installed it and played around with it a bit and it works fine. But I'm personally a Mentalray/Iray guy. They completely overhauled the mentalray integration in this version so it's a lot simpler to use. Mentalray has also gone through lots of improvements and new features over the past few years that I believe make it better than VRay. And Iray on top of that for a multi-GPU/CPU accelerated renderer that is even easier to use and gets you beautiful results quickly.
>>
>>493991
>>493998
>>494048

Is that really something that can't be done in Blender?
Or was your point that UI for this feature in Maya has improved in ease of use?
>>
>>494071
Not as easily as that no, it can't. A modifier stack alone won't get you that kind of functionality. Perhaps there's some add-on for Blender that can give you similar control, not sure. But my point was also that it has improved in ease of use, the past few versions have put a huge amount of focus on ease of use and redesign.
>>
>>494071
Node based workflows are more versatile than stackable ones if coded correctly. Maya's node based history only became not-shit and stable in the recent updates but someone at blender might come up with an add-on similar to it.
>>
>>493997
When was the last time you read a manual? Like as first contact with a software, not just wanted to start by messing around first?
>>
>>493997
I am mainly a 2D artist, from photoshop, open canvas to sketch book pro to comic studio 4, never had trouble when I switch software. I did some autoCAD and also some StudioMax in school, I tried maya, didn't end up using it but I felt like its basic is easy enough to pick up. Even blender, it still behaves in a predictable ways. Zbrush I felt I literally need to find a translation for everything. I did follow tutorials, but I am not sure what pieces of information I a missing because its not doing what tutorial is showing. I want to reset it but it doesn't reset the whole thing, buttons I customize disappear for no good reason, and crashes randomly when I switch tools. stuff like that.
>>
>>494135
Who said anything about a manual? This is the 3D industry, if you're too fucking lazy to watch a tutorial VIDEO on the new software you're using, then don't bother trying to be a 3D artist, you're not cut out for it.

I always watch an introductory video for a new piece of 3D software so that I at least know the basics so I can actually start "messing around" properly, instead of going in, pressing keys and wondering why something is happening like a retard.

Messing around should always come after you learn the basics at least, 3D programs are too complex to just open it up and start doing shit. It's only when you have a program like sculptris that has very little capabilities, that it can be so straight-forward, that's just a simple fact. Or else you hurt the actual profressional's who use the software if you over-simplify a very complex, feature-rich program like ZBrush. ZBrush targets professionals, not kiddos who want to sculpt some titties.
>>
>>494136
Learning 3D software is a much larger time investment than 2D. There are hundreds more tools in most 3D apps. Something like open canvas is just a stripped down photoshop; there's not a whole lot to learn.
>>
>>491385
>after effects in anal terror

Are you kidding me? Its the greenest of green, it makes more sense than premiere, photoshop, hell its the most friendly and sensible of all the Adobe products.
>>
>>495607
ok for the like 3rd time, this is based on the 3d aspects of programs.
have you ever used the 3d part of after effects
>>
itt: people that don't use keyboard + mouse.

kbmod, faggots.
>>
>>491215

>Blender
>Easier to learn then ZBrush
>>
>>494167
when i get a new application i usually read the quick start guide, then a few noob tutorials , then a few advanced tutorials, and then just shove in balls deep
>>
I have learned to use max, maya, mudbox, sketchup, messiah studio, softimage, silo and some other shit i forget the name of.
All easy to use with straight up easy to understand menus. couple of hours in and im comfortable using them.

I took me the longest to get into maya because there is just so much shit you can do with it.
It is absolutely overwhelming because it just so fucking complex and packed with over 20 years of features.

I tried to pick up blender a couple of times and the interface just infuriates me. ITS absolute shit and completely intuitive.
I fucking hate it with a passion. Blender has been shit from the start and it never got better.
>>
Do people who struggle with the blender interface not use the keystroke-driven commands in Adobe products?
>>
>>491248
apparently everyone on 3 is a man-loving sodomite
>>
>>495884
Adobe products have immensely fewer features than modern 3D softwares. Nearly everything you use is in plain sight on Adobe software and only a few things are benefited by using hotkeys for them.

If your 3D software is designed almost entirely around a different hotkey for every fucking thing, that's incredibly bad design.
>>
>>494000
[X] Agree
[ ] Not agree
>>
>>497835
This is what they have been doing for years.
Everyone just copies them
>>
>>491215
zbrush is essy m8
>>
>>491246
haudiny is some shit those other programs are mild sauce
Thread replies: 192
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.