[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been thinking about trying some sculpting, and recently
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /3/ - 3DCG

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 12
File: 3d.jpg (609 KB, 1920x1752) Image search: [Google]
3d.jpg
609 KB, 1920x1752
I've been thinking about trying some sculpting, and recently got Zbrush.

I've seen some people "sketching" in 3d, creating concepts really quickly (pic related), and was wondering if thats possible in zbrush and how it's done, or if they're using some other program?

Also general tips, tutorials and advice is greatly appreciated.
>>
>>499477
Oh, and i'm fairly comfortable with zbrush, thats why i'm not starting with maya or sculptris or whatever.
>>
>>499480
if you are fairly comfortable you'd probably know that , yes that is very possible, mostly preferred over traditional 2d conception, based on your example i assume you want to make characters/creatures/organics then zbrush is a great way to go, learn the fundamentals of art first tho so your not just making shit blob monsters... inb4 'BLENDER IS THE BEST ZOMFG'
>>
>>499483
I've worked as a concept artist for alot of indie devs and been drawing my entire life, so fundemantals of design, form, anatomy and so on is something i'm familiar with.

And no it's far from preferred over 2d concepting. I've never met any art director who wanted 3d artists for concepts. 2d is still alot faster for concept work, but 3d will eventually take over, no doubt about that. That's part of the reason i want to learn 3d properly.

As for my familiarity with zbrush, what i meant is that i know enough abut the interface and the basics of the program.

Can you explain how 3d sketching is done? Or maybe there's a tutorial somewhere?
>>
>>499491
3d concepting is becoming more the norm, granted 2d is initially faster but with a 3d sketch you have a POC in all angles orthographic and perspective , and that concept can be handed down the pipe easier than 2d, ironically 2015 zsummit there was a concept artist talking about this very subject, pointing out the pitfalls of 3d concepting, also old school guys like jordu schell disapprove of it, with the same complaint, a 2 hour sculpt in zbrush can easily be rendered and dolled up to look near production ready, might not be the strongest design but the polish makes it look better than it is. i agree with you that no one wants a 3d artist to concept, but they are looking more towards a concept artist that does 3d, if that makes sense, i would compare it to music, it would be easier to play someone a rough melody than it would be to write out the sheet music, 3d concepts are the same. if you have a background in concepting, and you want to use zbrush i would suggest looking up 'speed sculpts', basically if all you want is your idea , open zbrush make a primitive object like a cube or sphere and dynamesh it, then sculpt the fuck out of it. one example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV-KuHzhEvY as you can see simple shape > dynamesh> sculpt>???> profit
>>
File: 18s04fkzrmdrpjpg.jpg (37 KB, 240x360) Image search: [Google]
18s04fkzrmdrpjpg.jpg
37 KB, 240x360
>>499477

good luck on ur quest brother

reach sculpting valhala
>>
>>499494
Yeah i see what you mean.

Theres something about the sculpts in the op that just appeals to me very much. You can tell that the approach is vastly different from the video you linked, and probably alot faster. It has to be some sort of technique or tool, right? Like how the edges are just sharp planes that are dragged out and everything looks rough and effective. Does anyone know exactly how it's done?

Thanks for the help, man.
>>
>>499499
I thank you. My creations will carry more weight than Thors hammer.
>>
>>499500
i get what you are saying, a big part of that, i will use the bottom right as example, his mask the front of it is totally flat , that is the flatten or planar brush. the torso where the skin is faceted and weird looking, that could be done either by 'decimating' the mesh or by having very low poly count and stretching the polygons, considering the scaring on the chest and the faceted look of it i would assume that it has been decimated, the hair is the same thing, very low poly mesh that has been stretched out, probably with the snake hook brush. all of that aside, they are some pretty sweet concepts, can you link a video, would love to see more. i think the biggest thing with these models is the person who made them has a really great style, some parts of the anatomy are a little off, but i really like everything about them
>>
>>499505
ah ok, thanks bro.

Yeah they're pretty sweet. It's from the developer diaries of an upcoming game called Hellblade. There isn't alot more 3d concepts in the videos, but you could probably find out who made the ones in the pic, seing as they only have 1 or 2 3d artists on the team. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbpkF8TRYizaT6GfMcKBG-RoUOQ6BJRXp

Looks really promising
>>
>>499506
nice , thanks for the link, yeah that looks pretty sweet... andy serkis doing mocap for them.. never heard of this game.. looks pretty sweet from the 30 seconds i have just watched lol.
i hopped in zbrush and did a quickie just to see if i was on the right path, if you have access to zbrush that's probably the way to go about that style. rendered in keyshot of course lol
>>
>>499483
Pathetic. No one even mentions blender and you got this salty fuck already acting like a retard.
>>
>>499554
can you explain?
>>
>>499554
Same reason nobody mentions Mudbox or 3D Coat, or any traditional 3D modeling program with sculpting capabilities, you fucking pathetic salty retard.
>>
>>499483
>mostly preferred over traditional 2d conception,
Stop
Just stop posting
>3d concepting is becoming more the norm,
argh, you keep doing it
>also old school guys like jordu schell disapprove of it,
dont blame him, since 3d concepting is retarded
>one example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV-KuHzhEvY [Remove] as you can see simple shape > dynamesh> sculpt>???> profit
which is ironic since the guy worked off 2d concept art ....
>>
>>499500
>Theres something about the sculpts in the op that just appeals to me very much. You can tell that the approach is vastly different from the video you linked, and probably alot faster. It has to be some sort of technique or tool, right? Like how the edges are just sharp planes that are dragged out and everything looks rough and effective. Does anyone know exactly how it's done?
dont be fooled by art like that, it only looks rough, but its well defined and polished up
it was nether fast or easy to make those sculpts in op post

as for technique
some of it seems like decimate low poly streaching, probably deforming a base mesh with twist modifiers snake hook and move and then decimating the messy topo for a structure of flat elongated shapes
rest looks like hpolish trim dynamic planar and clay brush
>>
>>499580
fuck, i meant dynameshing low poly streached geo with high dynamesh resolution
not decimating
>>
>>499477
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMjnnUF3eJFeh8q3N8kGhfc58CDubQRZA
>>
File: First try.jpg (336 KB, 1386x1080) Image search: [Google]
First try.jpg
336 KB, 1386x1080
>>499588
wow, thanks alot! Thats really helpfull.

Here's my first try. Some of the anatomy is obviously off, but im basically just getting to know the tools and program. First problem i cant solve is when i drag out the neck, the polygons stretch. How do i fill the stretched part with new polygons?
>>
File: second try.jpg (485 KB, 1758x1080) Image search: [Google]
second try.jpg
485 KB, 1758x1080
>>499591
I got it now. Dynamesh.

Here's my second try. Getting more and more comfortable with it really quickly.
>>
>>499599
You should define the shapes/forms first in lower polygons then higher later
>>
>>499588
>https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMjnnUF3eJFeh8q3N8kGhfc58CDubQRZA

man, need to watch that
but first vid is rick baker, im not a fan of his work at all, all his design always seemed lazy messy and half assed to me
>>
>>499591
>>499599
talking about messy
dude use smooth flatten hpolsih or trim dynamic to clean up your forms
try avoiding that lumpy look as much as possible
>>
File: third try.jpg (311 KB, 2019x1080) Image search: [Google]
third try.jpg
311 KB, 2019x1080
>>499600
alright. Why exactly? Trying to learn as much as possible.

Heres an alien i just started.
>>
>>499602
Will do. I hate the smooth tool tho. Is there any ther way of simplifying? Like reducing a surface to a plane?
>>
>>499603

So that you avoiding ending up with your poorly defined and lumpy meshes.
>>
>>499608
Alright. I'll try to keep it simple as long as possible. Get all the basic shapes down and then work smaller and smaller. It's really the exact same thing as drawing.

But again, is there a way to simplifye the form without using the smooth tool? I'd like to reduce lumpy surfaces to planes rather than smoothing them out.
>>
>>499603
to not create any bad habits
you want your forms to be easy to read and to make sense
its better to have a nice silhouette and forms than to have good detail work

>>499604
yeah hpolish and trimdynamic are good tools for cutting down surfaces, often i would say a much better tool than smoothing since the lead to cleaner mesh
you can bind them to shit instead of normal smooth brush
i think holdingt shift and clicking on a new brush icon did it
>>
File: third try two.jpg (284 KB, 2019x1080) Image search: [Google]
third try two.jpg
284 KB, 2019x1080
>>499608
>>499611
Found the TrimDynamic brush. Works like a charm.

Tried to make it simpler and chern out the basic shapes. Is it still messy? I get really blind to my own stuff.
>>
>>499615
Keep on doodling away, looks less lumpy.
Do a daily 30 minutes doodle (or 2x 30min or 45 whatever feels rght) and compare your results.
If you get quality blindness, come back later to it after doing something else.
Just expect that your first 50 results will be mediocre before you see yourself getting better.
Just keep doing it.
>>
File: third try three.jpg (363 KB, 1603x1080) Image search: [Google]
third try three.jpg
363 KB, 1603x1080
>>499626
Yup, i'll probably do more than that per day. This is really fun, and i feel like i'm able to create what i see in my head, which is quite unusual for me when doing something i haven't done before. Thanks for the help guys, this board seems helpful.

What material represents form the best? And is there any websites that you guys recommend for getting free materials and brushes and so on?
>>
Daily Zbrush sculpt thread when?
>>
>>499634
If you havent downloaded any i'd probably use the silverish material, i dont really remember the name tho
>>
File: Third try four.jpg (435 KB, 1891x1080) Image search: [Google]
Third try four.jpg
435 KB, 1891x1080
>>499647
Thanks

Does anyone know any good sites to download free materials?
>>
>>499646

Whenever you make one.
>>
>>499588
>http://www.rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4819694
[Digital Tutors] Your First Day in ZBrush [2014, ENG]
>http://www.rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4405552
[Digital Tutors] MicroMesh Techniques in ZBrush [2013, ENG]
FlippedNormals Youtube ZBrush Basics (48 mins):
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaBUDawuh7Q
>>
>>499648
Search for zbro's zbrush materials. Those would be a good start.
>>
File: Third try five.jpg (422 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Third try five.jpg
422 KB, 1920x1080
>>499648
Update on this.

Any feedback or tips is greatly appreciated.
>>
>>499912

You went too high too fast. Step down one or two subdivisions and delete higher and keep it sharp.
>>
>>499912
i can't even tell what that is
>>
>>499912
(CAN'T WAKE UP)
>>
>>499927
It's like i don't know what to do next, so i res it up and start detailing.

>>499928
Seriously? It's a xenomorph from the alien movies. Or did you mean something else by that?

>>499942
ok?
>>
>>499912 The back of the head looks a bit shonky; I'd try to make it look a little less like there's a joint there. It could use a little more curviness.
>>
>>499962
ah true. I'm trying to not make it too smooth of a curve, but that definitely looks a bit goofy. Thanks man
>>
>>499912
you can subdiv without sm (smoothing) if you want to add more details without losing sharpness
>>
>>499477
What video are those sculpts from? I really dig the design.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.